News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter beater with a heater

Started by 1BAD68, November 08, 2011, 10:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Just picked up this legendary piece of automotive history.

nh_mopar_fan

skip68

Hell yah!  With that kind of MPG's I could care less what it was or looked like.   
:2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Todd Wilson

bobs66440

Of yeah! I love cars like that!  :2thumbs:

Beat 'em, scratch, dent 'em, who cares! Some of my fondest automotive memories involve old beaters. Very cool!

Just don't hit anything... ::)

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

694spdRT

You could do a complete restoration on that with a pint of Bondo and 1 can of spray paint. ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bajaherbie

wear sunglasses so your friends won't recognize you :smilielol:

tan top

Quote from: skip68 on November 08, 2011, 11:43:02 AM
Hell yah!  With that kind of MPG's I could care less what it was or looked like.   
:2thumbs:

:yesnod: true !!  more to spend on the charger  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

jaak

everyone needs a beater, hears mine, purchased a couple of years back for the grand total of $0. Can't beat that!

Jason

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 1BAD68 on November 08, 2011, 10:25:56 AM
Just picked up this legendary piece of automotive history.
Because nothing say's "I've completely given up on trying to impress anyone" than this car does.
With it's easy to clean (90% vinyl) interior and lack of options, it won't bog me down with distraction's while I'm getting from point A to B.
And talk about performance! The 1.3L Mazda engine produces an astonishing 63hp at 5000 rpm, plenty to move the 1700lb all steel body.
The only thing this car will be passing is the gas station, getting an average of 47 mpg.
Slap a set of 12" snow tires and chains on the front and see if old man winter can stop this beast.
My 93 Ford Festiva aka "FestEvil"

No offense, but eww....

While I was at grad school for my PhD, one of the professors had a pea green 86 Festiva that he drove occasionally (when he did not bike to school).  This was his family's only car by choice (environmental to an extreme is saying it lightly), as he made six figures alone with his paycheck.  The head of the department had a nice BMW 750iL with the V10 (and a newer Bentley, as well as a few others in that caliber) that he would park behind the building in reserved spaces.  It was strange to see the ratty Festiva sandwiched between high $ luxury cars to say the least.  I overheard the Festiva professor once asking him what MPG his cars got after bragging about his car's MPG.  The department head replied "Doesn't really matter now does it?". :smilielol:...  

Here is one of my beaters: 1990 Ford Probe with the 2.2L Mazda engine for MPG (when it runs)....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

PocketThunder

The best beater i ever had was my old 86 S-10 i bought for $100, put $350 into it and drove it for 5 years.  4 cylinder, 4 speed, 2 wheel drive, and got 26 mpg and i red lined every shift.  :drive:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Magnumcharger

This reminds me of a car my buddy had, his winter beater.
A Chevy version of a Suzuki Swift. It was red as well. Being so small, he called it the "Blood cell"!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

bobs66440

I had two '66 Volkswagen Bugs when I was a teenager in the '70s...the floors were so rusty you had to pick up your feet going through a puddle so they didn't get wet!  :lol:

They really didn't have much of a heater though. You had to scrape the ice off the INSIDE of the windshield.  :yesnod:

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

BY RSCO

I had a 90 Festiva for my beater - though tiny, great little car - long story short, I drove it for several years, got divorced - and had a very big smile on my face when I took it to the ex-wife in exchange for the 95 Procharged Mustang that she could not afford to keep after we split...  :nana:(yes, I had the better lawyer..) - my new husband-in-law drove it about another 60k before it finally laid down..  :smilielol:

Bobs69

You mean to tell me you, the man, came out ahead on something in a divorce settlement?

BY RSCO

Quote from: Bobs69 on November 09, 2011, 01:15:27 AM
You mean to tell me you, the man, came out ahead on something in a divorce settlement?

Got very very lucky - she was at a point where she just wanted out to start her new "adventure" - so it worked out well -- I still had to pay for whatever was not paid for, but I was the main household income anyway, so no big difference. I am remarried to a great lady, we have an awesome daughter, and they both love cars and guitars :icon_smile_big: - the ex is still a cheating b!#&h and married to a jackwagon.. life is grand sometimes :laugh:

Cooter

1984 Subaru GL Wagon, with 575K miles on it. Paid $400 and been drivin' it since early 2004. Av. around 30 MPG.
30 years old. Rusty, raggedy, but all mine and no need to do anything else but get me there and back.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Stretch

Good luck finding 12 inch tires. They are no longer in production for the most part. You can still get 12 inch trailer tires. If you find a sorce for 12 inch dot car tires I'd love to know about it. I could sell a ton of them.  Festivas and the GEO's have been comming out of the wood work sense gas went through the roof.

Jason
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

1BAD68

That's a fact
Could not find any in stock anywhere locally but searched Craigslist and found a new set (approx. 50 miles on them) mounted and balanced on rims for $100.00.
Once these wear out I'll have to swap over to 14" somehow.

Dino

Because officially you could not have a 68 Charger as your daily driver, I used to have a '79 and '82 European Ford Fiesta.  They were great little cars, very cheap!  The fuel mileage on the Fords offset the mpg on the Charger quite nicely!  :icon_smile_big:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Rolling_Thunder

My GF had two separate festivas in her life time...    she loved them and she claimed MPGs in the 40s...    I wouldnt mind having a little beater like that --   but what is this "winter" you guys speak of? 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip