News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

something goofy going on here... gen 3 charger

Started by bajaherbie, November 07, 2011, 07:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaherbie

not sure if is the correct forum, mods feel free to move it to the correct location if necessary.

i've been working on getting the heater to work in my son's 73... heater core was leaky so i have removed the heater/ac box from under the dash and ordered a new core.  i tested all of the vacuum lines and have gotten all of the doors to open/close with my mighty vac. then i traced the vac lines back to the controls in the gauge cluster. WTF? the other end of the vacuum lines were tucked up and stuck in a hole near the parking brake mechanism and not hooked to anything! my car is an SE model so i don't think it came with the rallye cluster bezel that is in the dash. from what i can tell the control levers don't have the vac hook up at all? do i need to find a correct set of controls that have the vacuum connector? i have purchased a CD shop manual to help me through this and near as i can tell the control switches have a vacuum connector that  connects the vac lines to the various doors in the heater/ac box under the dash.

also where does the main vacuum line pass through the dash and connect to the motor? above the blower motor on the firewall is a small item(can't think of  the name but i found it in the CD shop manual) that is completely disconnected, i think this connects to the motor and the vac system but i'm not sure..

what year chargers have the vacuum system?

please help, its going to be cold here soon!

bajaherbie

making progress... turns out i do have the correct dash control but all of the small vacuum tubes are broken off. :RantExplode:

but i do have heat now... installed the water temperature control valve under the hood when i installed the new heater hoses. i'll still need a new(different) dash control set so the vacuum will switch from the dash to the floor, defrost, etc... still need to find where the vacuum goes through the dash, etc. but at least i am making some progress.

NHCharger

Are you talking about where the vacuum line goes through the firewall? On my 71 it goes through behind the heater box on the passenger side. It actually shows it in the FSM.
On the 3rd gen Chargers I believe only the A/C cars had the vacuum controls, at least 71 &72. My 72 non A/C Charger has the much simpler wire controls.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bajaherbie

i'm still looking for where the vacuum line passes thru the firewall!

i have a Bishko CD shop manual but it is pretty vague, it has a drawing of it but not photos!