News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern music system

Started by D13vyl, November 07, 2011, 06:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D13vyl

Hi Folks

Well my baby goes into get her nasty orange stripe removed today and replaced with a more subtle ghost stripe at the bodyshop. My question is im looking at getting a new stereo system installed, any ideas? does anyone have a more modern music system setup?

thanks

Rene :cheers:
Revelation 19:11 "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a BLACK CHARGER; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he does judge and make war."

twodko

Aye Rene I do. Myself and several members here have installed a Secret Audio system in our cars. Do a web search for the Secret Audio company, also Crutchfield carries this line. Nice stuff. It is required that you post pictures of your system to include the installation process. If you don't we'll pout! Good luck!  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ODZKing

keenkeener

I was looking for something that looked like stock but was able to play some of my own tunes. I found a working am/fm thumbwheel radio in the attic and added a mini-stereo jack before the amp side of the radio. The stereo jack is small and hidden but allows me to plug in an ipod or xm radio. I added a stereo 4x10 from www.turnswitch.com. Its not in the car yet, but I have bench tested it. It sounds good but vintage and looks great.

Oh and it went in a 68 charger - total cost in addition to the radio was about $5

Iron Chef

It really depends on what you want to do Rene.  If you're looking to keep your car all stock, and use the area made for the radio, getting one of the models where they took the guts out of an old stock radio and replaced it with modern internals might be the way to go.  On one of those sites however, I read that you cannot hook up an amplifier to these radios, so your volume may be limited to what these units can push out.  I'm no expert though, so perhaps someone who has one can chime in with more details.  At $600, they are also a bit pricey.  Not saying it isn't worth it, but it depends on what you want.

If you don't care about controlling your radio from its stock location, the Secret Audio system might be a good choice.  I purchased one for my '70 Challenger because I'd like some decent sound without altering the dash.  I haven't installed it as of yet, and again, this is another one where you are instructed not to use an amp (but I'm going to try it anyway  :D ).

My '71 Super Bee will have a completely new center console built, and it will house a modern head unit as well as an LED indicator panel, VDO gauges, cupholders and buttons for power windows, door locks, pushbutton start.  Unfortunately, third-gen dashes don't allow any flexibility when it comes to radios, so the radio opening on my dash will have a block off plate.
Most of your life should be "off the record."

keenkeener

Yeah the stock radio definitely will not "rock out" but its not that quiet either surprisingly. You could always a an amplifier that has a "speaker level input." This would allow you to add an amp and power some aftermarket speakers to a stock radio.  :Twocents:

bill440rt

I had an AM thumbwheel converted to AM/FM by Tayman Electrical, also provides a jack for an iPod, CD player, etc. Talk to Gary there. His prices were reasonable.

http://www.taymanelectrical.com/

Quote from: Iron Chef on November 13, 2011, 10:45:51 AM
It really depends on what you want to do Rene.  If you're looking to keep your car all stock, and use the area made for the radio, getting one of the models where they took the guts out of an old stock radio and replaced it with modern internals might be the way to go.  On one of those sites however, I read that you cannot hook up an amplifier to these radios, so your volume may be limited to what these units can push out.  I'm no expert though, so perhaps someone who has one can chime in with more details.  At $600, they are also a bit pricey.  Not saying it isn't worth it, but it depends on what you want.

You can use an amp with one of the conversion radios, but you must use an amp that has line inputs. Gary from Tayman had a work-around for it.

Quote from: Iron Chef on November 13, 2011, 10:45:51 AM

If you don't care about controlling your radio from its stock location, the Secret Audio system might be a good choice.  I purchased one for my '70 Challenger because I'd like some decent sound without altering the dash.  I haven't installed it as of yet, and again, this is another one where you are instructed not to use an amp (but I'm going to try it anyway  :D ).

Interesting! I'm curious, where did you see that Secret Audio instructs not to use an amp?? I have one in my  '69 with TWO amps. Was there something on their website that I missed?
The only problem I have is ignition noise, so I need to install some kind of noise suppressor.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

elacruze

Quote from: bill440rt on November 16, 2011, 09:28:16 AM
The only problem I have is ignition noise, so I need to install some kind of noise suppressor.

.Try this;

http://www.davidnavone.com/heresHow/june2003-pt1.htm
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bill440rt

Quote from: elacruze on November 16, 2011, 10:26:13 AM

.Try this;

Interesting!
My amps are grounded directly to the battery. Head unit is grounded to chassis (body). Noise starts out as ignition/alternator whine. Then after a few minutes I'll get random pops & ticks. After a few more minutes (about 15-20 minutes total into driving), it becomes total white noise & I have to shut the system off & "reboot".
Any ideas?
(Sorry for the hijack...)  ;)
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Iron Chef

I had an AM thumbwheel converted to AM/FM by Tayman Electrical, also provides a jack for an iPod, CD player, etc. Talk to Gary there. His prices were reasonable.

http://www.taymanelectrical.com/

You can use an amp with one of the conversion radios, but you must use an amp that has line inputs. Gary from Tayman had a work-around for it.

Interesting! I'm curious, where did you see that Secret Audio instructs not to use an amp?? I have one in my  '69 with TWO amps. Was there something on their website that I missed?

Better price there.  I hadn't seen that site.  I kinda stopped looking after I got the Secret Audio setup.  I went back and checked the box...yeah...I'm an idiot.  You can use an amp with Secret Audio.

I shouldn't drink beer when I post.  :eek2:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: bill440rt on November 16, 2011, 10:39:48 AM
Quote from: elacruze on November 16, 2011, 10:26:13 AM

.Try this;

Interesting!
My amps are grounded directly to the battery. Head unit is grounded to chassis (body). Noise starts out as ignition/alternator whine. Then after a few minutes I'll get random pops & ticks. After a few more minutes (about 15-20 minutes total into driving), it becomes total white noise & I have to shut the system off & "reboot".
Any ideas?
(Sorry for the hijack...)  ;)

i suggest you ground the amps to the chassis , are your rcas running along the same side as your power wire that could cause the noise  ??, also try and get a different brand of rca's it makes a difference !!!

gtx6970

I have the original am out now being converted at Trunswitch .com

When it comes back it'll be am/fm with an external MP# player / ipod jack

I will have to figure out what to use for the center dash speaker while the dash is out and on the stand .

bill440rt

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 23, 2011, 08:50:28 AM
I have the original am out now being converted at Trunswitch .com

When it comes back it'll be am/fm with an external MP# player / ipod jack

I will have to figure out what to use for the center dash speaker while the dash is out and on the stand .

Bill, I have one of these dual-voice speakers installed in the dash on my '68 with the modern-converted radio as well:
http://www.casmfg.com/DVC_Speakers.htm

Sound is pretty good. They are supposed to be better than the dual 3-1/2" jobs that are out there. Since the main cone is bigger, you'll get better bass response.
It fit fine with the the AM radio. Might be tighter for anyone that has a converted 8-track, those radios are slightly taller.