News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any FOOTBALL ( the real one, what you call soccer ) fans here ?

Started by Nacho-RT74, October 23, 2011, 10:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

472 R/T SE

Portland Timbers. 

I wanted to start a thread but I'll just piggyback our day yesterday in your thread Ignacio if that's OK?

I'm learning with soccer.  The sport was pretty much nonexistent back in early 80's, late 70's in western Kansas.

Our daughter made the A team with the VUSA Timbers this year.  It's an all star team if you will, we're #3 in Washington & #1 in Oregon.

My daughter has been on fire lately.  She's really starting to improve every week.  Yesterday we were tied up @ 3-3 against our cross town rival.  Their only losses this year came while playing us.  I was clock watching when the coach put our daughter in with 2 minutes left.  It was down to a minute & I was keeping the other parents up to date on time.  I heard all our parents' screaming & one of our girls had booted it from about the 30 yard line & their goalie kept backpeddling until the ball sailed over her head & hit the back of the net.  I didn't realize it was our Korynn until I seen the entire team mobbing her.  Her team mates have been trying to set her up for scores for several games now & were delighted she just scored.  Less than :20 left & our daughter just won the game.  I knew how much time was left cause I missed her booting the ball from clock watching.

It was overwhelming.  I teared up.

hemi68charger

Yeap... Don't play it as much as I used to do ( A long time ago ), but thoroughly enjoyed it. I was the goalkeeper for my high school team for two years and played a little bit with the intramural teams at my university. A few years ago, I was my son's team soccer coach for his little league team. One advantage in being brought up with American Football as a receiver is that it lent itself to be a goalie. Afterall, most people don't want to be goalie, but it was the perfect match for me.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Orange_Crush

Yeah...I've never figured the "football" thing out
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Orange_Crush on October 31, 2011, 10:05:34 AM

We hijacked it. The lawyers for football didn't register it as a professional trademark.  :D Plain and simple.........

Come on... handegg versus football? Handegg doesn't sound too "manly"..  :nana:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Orange_Crush

Well, let's be honest.  The claim could be made that (American) football is a less manly version of rugby.

Personally, I have no dog in this fight.  I was not raised with a love of ball sports (this, despite the fact that I spent the first ten years of my life in South America...where soccer=life) and the only REAL appreciation that I had for them was that it kept the football players busy so I could nail their girlfriends.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Orange_Crush on October 31, 2011, 11:06:12 AM
Well, let's be honest.  The claim could be made that (American) football is a less manly version of rugby.

Personally, I have no dog in this fight.  I was not raised with a love of ball sports (this, despite the fact that I spent the first ten years of my life in South America...where soccer=life) and the only REAL appreciation that I had for them was that it kept the football players busy so I could nail their girlfriends.

Wasn't comparing Rugby to American Football or ranking it at the top of any "manly" sport pedastal... But, yes, Rugby is a tough one for sure.
Troy

71bee

Never understood the fascination with this sport. 3 hours = 1 to 0 score? or even a tie game? funny thing is, there were hardly any Soccer fans around here until S.L. Real made it to the finals & beat the Galaxy a couple years back. I suddenly witnessed tons of people tossing their Jazz jerseys for Real jerseys.  :yesnod:

I'll stick with good ol' American football.  :Twocents:

Ponch ®

Quote from: 71bee on October 31, 2011, 01:30:18 PM
Never understood the fascination with this sport. 3 hours = 1 to 0 score? or even a tie game? funny thing is, there were hardly any Soccer fans around here until S.L. Real made it to the finals & beat the Galaxy a couple years back. I suddenly witnessed tons of people tossing their Jazz jerseys for Real jerseys.  :yesnod:

its actually 90 mins. And yes, one of the biggest knocks on soccer is that sometimes the scores are low (or none at all..), but is baseball any better in that respect?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Orange_Crush

The good thing about football (soccer) is that a 90 minute game lasts 90 minutes.  There is no overtime (hence the possibility of a tie).

Having said that, if I have a gun to my head, I would rather watch handegg than football. 

71bee

Nope, baseball is still as boring as Soccer to me. we're talkin' "Football" here. and if you guys dig watching a bunch of dudes kick a ball around for 90 minutes (sorry for the previous exageration) hoping to score at least 1 goal, then by all means, enjoy!  :cheers:

learical1

Indoor soccer.  Had season tickets for the Phoenix Inferno/Pride back in the early 80's.  I played indoor co-ed soccer, until a girl took out my ankles.
Bruce

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Orange_Crush on October 31, 2011, 10:05:34 AM

:smilielol:

I though I was the only one able to do the same ILUSTRATION to describe that

:smilielol:

BY THE WAY, my favourite team is Valencia C.F.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

freddyd02

Die Hard Man Utd fan here.. I lived in Ireland for awhile before moving back to Cali so fell in love with the team there

Darkman

Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

learical1

Bruce

General_01

I like Manchester United in the Premeir League. I like LA Galaxy in MLS. Just watched the Sounders get tossed by Real Salt Lake last night in the playoffs. Going to watch LA play New York tonight.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

71bee

Quote from: General_01 on November 03, 2011, 05:39:29 PMJust watched the Sounders get tossed by Real Salt Lake last night in the playoffs.

That's the biggest sports story on our local news stations.  :rotz:   to bad my Utes are sucking so horribly in the "real" college football over here.  :D

Ponch ®

I grew up watching soccer, so I definitely have an appreciation for it. Don't really have a favorite team, though I guess i'd say the Galaxy and Mexico's Club America are the closest being my "favorites". I casually follow the Euro leagues, but can't get behind one team...mostly because EVERYONE likes Man U, Barcelona, and Real Madrid.

I go nuts during international competitions though: World Cup, Euro Cup, Copa America, and the Champion's League.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chargermike

cant even get it. tryed to watch it but how long can you watch someone play kick ball. got to be the most boring game to watch. no score no action just a bunch of guys kicking a ball back and forth. i'll take american football anyday. or hockey or basketball. but soccer is a game little kids who cant play football play. kinda a short bus sport. pad up boys and lets play REAL football.  NFL all the way

Exc-71

Quote from: 71bee on October 31, 2011, 01:30:18 PM

I agree, and Roll Tide.