News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have photos of 73 Thermoquad carb solenoid wiring?

Started by WH23G3G, November 04, 2011, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Ok if I can't get this Thermoquad setup right on my 73 400 I'm going to get the original 6321S rebuilt and put it on. It also has a working factory idle solenoid. I want to add that too because it's suppose to be there on a 73. I now know that I can make a simple wire and attach it to the solenoid and run to the F terminal on the alternator and plug the original alternator F wire into the other terminal of the solenoid. The solenoid has one of those dual connectors, male/female. It's been a nightmare dialing the mixture and idle right. As it sits now it has a good mixture but the idle is at 650-725 but it's strong and doesn't die when shifted into drive. I called M and H electric which does the harnesses for Year One which is where I got my big block engine harness. They said their schematics they have from Chrysler doesn't show separate wiring into the engine harness to plug into the solenoid. So I'm wanting to see an original Charger with a 340, 400, 440 that still has the idle solenoid and wiring hooked up and see how it's hooked up. I know I can adapt to work but I was just wondering how is suppose to be and was it in fact a part of the original harness.     

FLG

Are you going factory resto on her? If not id ditch the termoquad and go with a holley dp'er.

WH23G3G

Yeah well I'm going as close to factory as I can get with all the reproduction parts. All stock internals. I haven't driven a V8 since highschool 15 years ago. A 1986 Dodge Ramcharger 360-4bbl. That had a Quadrajet and it was garbage but when it ran right it had good power. The most powerful I've owned was a 1995 Ford Taurus SHO which was fast stock. Now I've been driving a 4 cylinder pickup with barely 140lbs-ft of torque factory since college so I'm just hoping the 400-4BBL will be a little easier goin up all these hills around here. Basically I'm doing all stock everything, I'm not trying to race anyone just want good power. I'm just wanting to see if the idle solenoid is part of the original engine harness or an extra wire harness itself like the a/c harness. 

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: WH23G3G on November 04, 2011, 10:15:27 PM
So I'm wanting to see an original Charger with a 340, 400, 440 that still has the idle solenoid and wiring hooked up and see how it's hooked up.     

same here!!!

My 74 diagram ilustrates the solenoid plug ( male/female terminal ) being spliced into the blue alt field wire, however doesn't say WHERE... if being splitted directly from alt Brush prong OR somewhere in the middle of the wire and the blue wire getting an extension to the field at alt.

some ppl uses this solenoid for the A/C Compressor to give more Iddle to the engine when the A/C is on, but originally is a regular iddle solenoid to close the throttle wghen turn off the engine and keep safe from dieseling. Here is where the iddle must be really adujsted

WH23G3G and me have talked about this by email

NOTE... this solenoid has nothing to do on the mixture!!! is just an iddle solenoid
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html