News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aggressive behavior around our Chargers

Started by RECHRGD, November 04, 2011, 02:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polygon

Quote I told her that between the two we average around 36 mpg. and I can live with that

Ok, that's the funniest thing I have heard here....."average around 36 mpg"  Ha Ha!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy a Prius, I need your gas!
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

mauve66

aw quit yur complaining, at least you get to get your cars out of the garage :coolgleamA:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Bobs69

Quote from: NHCharger on November 04, 2011, 08:03:13 PM
Gassing up my 72 at a station some lady driving a Ford Explorer made a comment about my car being a gas guzzler and a air polluter. I told her I got 17 MPG then asked her what the trailer hitch on her car was for. "Oh, that's for towing our boat and snowmobiles". ::)

Exactly.  Bet that bitch never made the connection either.

BananaDan

The funny thing is, her Explorer probably doesn't get much more than 17mpg without the trailer.  My DD is an 05 Jeep Liberty and it only gets 20mpg on a 6-cyl.

For the thread, I've ever had any negative aggressive behavior, just horn honks and thumbs up.  I did get pulled over 12 years ago when I first bought her and had words with the cop, but that's a whole other story.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

freddyd02

Quote from: BananaDan on November 07, 2011, 10:00:20 PM
The funny thing is, her Explorer probably doesn't get much more than 17mpg without the trailer.  My DD is an 05 Jeep Liberty and it only gets 20mpg on a 6-cyl.

For the thread, I've ever had any negative aggressive behavior, just horn honks and thumbs up.  I did get pulled over 12 years ago when I first bought her and had words with the cop, but that's a whole other story.

Do tell BananaDan  :lol:

BananaDan

Keep in mind I was 23 and had this car for only a couple of months when this happened.  I've grown up a bit since then.   :icon_smile_wink: 

So I'm driving home from my buddy's apartment, it was dark out, probably 9-10pm. I'm on I-287 around the Edison area heading north and and all of the sudden I see NJ State Trooper behind me with the lights on.  I'm in the left lane doing about 70-75 in a 65, to my right in the middle lane is a car next to me with a car behind him and 2 or 3 in front of him so I can't easily pull over.  I get pissed off that I got tagged so I dropped the hammer, went from ~70-~90 in no time, put my right blinker on, did a Jersey Slide pulling across all lanes in one shot into the shoulder and put her in Park.  I was fuming.  I didn't turn her off because I was still working out an electrical issue and she wouldn't always start easily.  The trooper walks up to my door and asks me to turn off the engine.  I explain to him my electrical issue and how she may not start and he says he'll call me a tow if that happens, turn her off, so I did.  He then asks me if I knew why he pulled me over, I told him I could think of a few reasons but I wanted to hear his.  He then asks me if I smoked, I said yes.  He asked me if I threw a cigarette out of my window back there, I said probably.  He asked me if I knew it was a crime to throw something out of my window while driving.  Not that everyone doesn't do it, but ok, he had me and that ticket would likely be better than the Bo Duke shit I pulled right in front of him.  I told him I was sorry officer, I'm trying to quit.  He asked was I trying to quit smoking, or trying to quit throwing things out of my car while driving?  I thought a smart assed question deserved a smart assed answer so I responded that I was trying to quit smoking, but that should kill two birds with one stone.  He went back to his car for a while, came back and said I'm glad you have a clean record.  Don't do it again, stop smoking and nice car, now go home.  Luckily my girl started after a few tries and that was that.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

1969chargerrtse

Nice story BananaDan. There are good and bad cops out there.  In my State they are to lazy to pull you over so we drive 80+ mph.  :2thumbs:
As for the gas guzzler comments, I've never had that issue. If I did I would just laugh and say, OK. I did meet a Hummer owner that told me he got harassed and given the finger all the time ago when gas was over 5.00 a gallon here. 3.65 now in Ct.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Dino

Why are people so mad about gas guzzlers?  Are they afraid we'll take all of the fuel reserves???  If the environment is the issue why don't they go boycot planes?

These people seem to be happy only when they can bitch about something. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bobs69

Quote from: freddyd02 on November 07, 2011, 11:00:28 PM
Quote from: BananaDan on November 07, 2011, 10:00:20 PM
The funny thing is, her Explorer probably doesn't get much more than 17mpg without the trailer.  My DD is an 05 Jeep Liberty and it only gets 20mpg on a 6-cyl.

For the thread, I've ever had any negative aggressive behavior, just horn honks and thumbs up.  I did get pulled over 12 years ago when I first bought her and had words with the cop, but that's a whole other story.

Do tell BananaDan  :lol:
Wait a minute just wait a minute.  Lets get another look at that blonde bending over the hood of the green car.

freddyd02

aussiemuscle

Any of you guys rev the engine at the lights to accept a race and then take off slowly, letting the other guy think you were serious?

Quote from: tan top on November 05, 2011, 07:44:59 AM
another one  is ricers following !! trying in instigate a race
trouble is, here, the police in unmarked cars do that to try and get you to speed so they can give you a ticket.

Fred

Quote from: aussiemuscle on November 09, 2011, 10:30:23 PM
Any of you guys rev the engine at the lights to accept a race and then take off slowly, letting the other guy think you were serious?

Quote from: tan top on November 05, 2011, 07:44:59 AM
another one  is ricers following !! trying in instigate a race
trouble is, here, the police in unmarked cars do that to try and get you to speed so they can give you a ticket.

Always get plenty of takers at the lights and I know I piss them off no end when, as the light turns I take off in a very docile manner!
Sometimes though (when no ones looking) I can't help myself...............and all hell breaks loose!   :drive:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

RallyeMike

You guys must look like easy targets or something. I live in tree-hugger central, and have never in 30 years had aggressive behavior towards me or my car over any of these issue. Sorry to hear.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

b5blue

In my county/area aggressiveness is just the way some drive. With a mix of elderly, tourists, commuters and A--holes it just happens constantly. 16 years ago when I first got my Charger it had been a drag racer track only car. My best buddy Larry projected that with the loud exhaust, six-pack scoop and lumpy 509 cam guys were gonna freak out next to us at street lights revving their motors to race. We cruised the local "spots" driving around, ending up next to some potent looking rides....nothing happened.....a few times I'd look over at the other driver and he would quickly look away not making eye contact.  :whistling:
  Being my car looks so rough, crappy paint, rust holes we figured out finally it must have just been pure intimidation....the car just projected you were gonna get your butt kicked.   :lol:   

bill440rt

I dunno, maybe it's me but even here in NJ I'm not experiencing this "road rage" when driving my Chargers.  :ahum:

I get the occasional thumbs up & waves from fellow drivers on the highway. Once in a while a kid in a rice burner will pull up alongside, we'll toy around for a bit but nothing too crazy. A wave, thumbs up, and that's about it.

A buddy of mine & I had our cars out one day just in some back lots taking pictures. We saw a cop driving by off in the distance, slow down, then stop, then turn around & fly into the lot where we were. "Uh.. Hi officer, we know we're on private property but we just taking pictures and we're about to leave soon, no trouble" we said. The cop looked at us & said, "Nah, I don't care about that! I just wanted to check out your cars, they're awesome! I had a XXXX back in the day myself!" He hung out with us for at least an hour or so.

The only "aggressive" behavior is at shows or cruises, getting people to keep their hands to themselves and off the car (touching, leaning, etc).
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

elacruze

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 07, 2011, 01:56:21 AM

After all that I found out the guy had a discussion with the hospital security supervisor.  It seems he was upset that they wouldn't run my tags to find out where I lived.  My wife works @ the hospital & has for almost 20 years.  When she called them they told her to tell me not to bring the car back.  Security said they have to help whoever comes to the hospital, regardless of whether they're low life with ill intentions.

It will be a cold day when somebody tells me what I can drive to the parking lot.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

resq302

Quote from: bill440rt on November 10, 2011, 08:38:51 AM
I dunno, maybe it's me but even here in NJ I'm not experiencing this "road rage" when driving my Chargers.  :ahum:

I get the occasional thumbs up & waves from fellow drivers on the highway. Once in a while a kid in a rice burner will pull up alongside, we'll toy around for a bit but nothing too crazy. A wave, thumbs up, and that's about it.

A buddy of mine & I had our cars out one day just in some back lots taking pictures. We saw a cop driving by off in the distance, slow down, then stop, then turn around & fly into the lot where we were. "Uh.. Hi officer, we know we're on private property but we just taking pictures and we're about to leave soon, no trouble" we said. The cop looked at us & said, "Nah, I don't care about that! I just wanted to check out your cars, they're awesome! I had a XXXX back in the day myself!" He hung out with us for at least an hour or so.

The only "aggressive" behavior is at shows or cruises, getting people to keep their hands to themselves and off the car (touching, leaning, etc).

I have to agree with Bill.  Heck, I once had two car loads of early college aged girls chase me down on rt. 23 in NJ wanting to asks stuff about my car.  Seems that they were more interested in the car than me.   :lol:  (not that I can blame them)  But the thing that definitely pisses me off is the people that have to "feel" your car up.  Now only if I could touch that guys wife or girlfriend like he groped my car....... :scratchchin: :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

I used to take my 68 to shows and one day got so fed up with people touching the car that I got in the car and left, I never went to a show again.  I doubt I'll ever go to a show with the 69, if I do it will likely be a local, small show but I'll be watching the car closely.  If anyone dares to touch it I'm done.  Where the hell do people get the nerve.... :flame:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: resq302 on November 10, 2011, 01:05:25 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on November 10, 2011, 08:38:51 AM

I have to agree with Bill.  Heck, I once had two car loads of early college aged girls chase me down on rt. 23 in NJ wanting to asks stuff about my car.  Seems that they were more interested in the car than me.   :lol:  (not that I can blame them)  But the thing that definitely pisses me off is the people that have to "feel" your car up.  Now only if I could touch that guys wife or girlfriend like he groped my car....... :scratchchin: :smilielol:

I would offered the hottest girl there a ride, and hit on her. :yesnod:

cavemanno1

we never had anything bad either.a few people followed as all the way home,which i didnt like one bit,but they just wanted to take pictures and ask about the car!

Marck

I've ner had any aggressive or hostile behaviour towards me or my Charger... But, wow, people stare at me like I was riding a pink elephant on a skateboard.. It actually gets a little embarassing sometimes.. Except when it's kids, all they want is to see me chirp the tires a little.. I often do..  :D. For the sake of the kids of course..  :icon_smile_wink:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: elacruze on November 10, 2011, 09:10:06 AM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 07, 2011, 01:56:21 AM

After all that I found out the guy had a discussion with the hospital security supervisor.  It seems he was upset that they wouldn't run my tags to find out where I lived.  My wife works @ the hospital & has for almost 20 years.  When she called them they told her to tell me not to bring the car back.  Security said they have to help whoever comes to the hospital, regardless of whether they're low life with ill intentions.

It will be a cold day when somebody tells me what I can drive to the parking lot.

The fact I'm in a chair changes perspective.  They were just looking out for my well being. 

Brass

Quote from: Marck on November 10, 2011, 04:12:14 PM
I've ner had any aggressive or hostile behaviour towards me or my Charger... But, wow, people stare at me like I was riding a pink elephant on a skateboard.. It actually gets a little embarassing sometimes.. Except when it's kids, all they want is to see me chirp the tires a little.. I often do..  :D. For the sake of the kids of course..  :icon_smile_wink:

I hear you – too much attention is a little embarrassing.  But I like it when kids respond.  I was at the airport picking up one of my out-of-town droogs, when three little kids between 4 to 7 in a family van were staring at the Charger, pointing, and generally going nuts.  What I loved about that is they were too young to have been influenced about what is cool or have formed any sophisticated recognition – they just saw and heard something different and instinctively appreciated it.  But aside from finding it keyed once, I haven't experienced any abnormal/aggressive behavior because of my car. 

Fred

Quote from: Dino on November 10, 2011, 01:09:06 PM
I used to take my 68 to shows and one day got so fed up with people touching the car that I got in the car and left, I never went to a show again.  I doubt I'll ever go to a show with the 69, if I do it will likely be a local, small show but I'll be watching the car closely.  If anyone dares to touch it I'm done.  Where the hell do people get the nerve.... :flame:

Boy do I know where you're coming from. They can't help themselves, not only do they touch, they lean all over it as well as they're trying to see inside.
I've taken other cars to car shows but I will never ever take my Charger! They can admire it when I'm out cruising around.

Fred

I'm pleased to say, I've never had any aggressive behavior towards my Charger.................only heaps of admiration.