News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aggressive behavior around our Chargers

Started by RECHRGD, November 04, 2011, 02:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

How many of you have experienced this?  We've had plenty of threads about the nice and/or dumb things people say to us about our cars.  But, never one (that I can remember) addressing people that are openly hostile towards us or the car when we have these classics on the road.  I've put over 40K miles on my car in the last 13 years and 99.9% of those miles have been a positive experience.  However, once in a great while, some jerk seems to just get pissed at the sight of the car.  I can only assume that their behavior is driven by jealously, but that doesn't make it any more tolerable.  I've had people get right on my bumper for miles when they had every opportunity to pass.  I've had them pass me way too close to the car and cut in way too close for no reason.  One time in a parking lot while waiting for the wife to finish shopping, a couple of people were talking to me about the car.  While we were talking, some guy backs out of a space in front of the Charger and accelerates in reverse right at the car.  He then slams on the brakes, stopping within about an inch of the car and then speeds out of the lot.  I refuse to engage in any type of road rage.  That would only increase the aggression and maybe get the car hit or worse.  BTW, none of these people had smiles on their faces.  Just curious if others here have run into this much.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Budnicks

Yep I was doing a test drive after swapping engines in my 68 RR ,some hippie looking tree hugging guy pulled up be hind me while at a stop sign, frantically flashing his lights, I figure something was wrong :shruggy: so I pulled off to the side of the road, he pulled up next to me yelled some obscenities  :smilielol: then told me I was "murdering mother earth" with my dinosaur old car... I just laughed at him :nana: he got pissed flipped me off then drove off in his toaster on wheels...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

skip68

It all fairness bob, your car is embarrassing.  I mean, take a look at that thing.    :nana:  
The only thing that comes to mind is jealousy.  I had some punk give me crap a few years ago about my car missing side marker lights.   I told him I just got the car out of the paint shop and wasn't done putting it back together.  This idiot then says "well, it looks dumb with just a hole there"  
It pissed me off to the point I said where the hell's your car.   :flame:  
I figure it's just a jealousy thing for the most part.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

SRT-68

I drove my '68 back and forth 130 miles for work many times and had to deal with the tailgaters, teen want-yo-be race drivers and more than one Prius tree hugger. Flipping me off. A few time I just nailed it until they were 20 car lenghts back and then moved over as they roar by.

Around town It was amazing how many people in all sorts of cars challenge you at a light. People just feel the need to prove something when next to a Charger.

RECHRGD

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 04, 2011, 02:44:00 PM
I drove my '68 back and forth 130 miles for work many times and had to deal with the tailgaters, teen want-yo-be race drivers and more than one Prius tree hugger. Flipping me off. A few time I just nailed it until they were 20 car lenghts back and then moved over as they roar by.

Around town It was amazing how many people in all sorts of cars challenge you at a light. People just feel the need to prove something when next to a Charger.

Yea, I get the kiddy want to be racers, but they're usually just dumb and harmless.  I don't get the ones that just HAVE TO pass you on the highway.  Once they're around you they slow down to the point where you end up going around them....
13.53 @ 105.32

Musicman

I have never had this problem... Sure I get folks that will speed up to catch me, ride my tail for a while, but they are just checking out the car. Sometimes they'll pass and wave or give you the thumbs up, but I've never gotten the finger. :lol:

Yes I do get the occasional "Racer" just like everyone else, but they don't bother me either... they're just impressed with the car. :yesnod:

On the flip side of this equation however, I will admit that I do occasionally enjoy harassing the shit out of a Toaster or one of them Smart Cars. They're so cute... it's like teasing a kitten. :lol:

elanmars

yup, I've had the jerks that all of a sudden feel like their manhood is lacking (and probably is) by going fast when seeing the Charger-and it's specially funnier when it's in a parking lot. like really dude!? what the hell are you trying to prove???

i had one guy praise the car and then hate on it (jealousy in part) by cracking the typical "gas guzzler" jokes, saying how I probably need a tanker right behind my car just to drive it a few miles and how i'm not very responsible for the environment and how I'm harming the environment by driving a car like that.

I told him: "what are you talking about? I'm totally for the environment, I'M RECYCLING". his friends laughed. he didn't.

people at stop lights revving their motors or wanting to race, mostly kids in ricers, some have been in mustangs, camaros and trucks. they usually tend to speed off as soon as the light turns green, as if we were being filmed for a fast and furious movie race.

i just chill and ride all cool, i have nothing to prove to anyone. the only times i've played along with revving and speeding a little, as long as it's safe and not getting ridiculous, has been with other older cars.

okay okay and a truck or two and a ricer or two if i wasn't in the best mood and they were being obnoxious...

:D
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

bull

Although this kind of experience hasn't happened to me yet (since we're not up and running) I'm sure it will since I live in tree-hugger central. To me it'e a matter of incorrect perspective; the people shouting you down are too narrow-minded to make valid points as to how your classic car is hurting anything. Not that you can get these points across while shouting at a stop light but for one, these cars are a part of history. Also, there are so few of them left that saying they are making an impact on "mother earth" is foolish. Another thing is that these people go on and on about recycling and yet which of you is driving the recycled car? Lastly, our cars are typically in good working order and are burning unleaded fuel. They would probably have a valid gripe if even 5% of the cars on the road were 9 mpg classic Chargers but it's obvious to anyone with working gray matter that there are so few left it's a non-issue.

As for the jealous people. Sorry your life sucks folks but acting like an a-hole won't make it better.

dodgey68

jeez all this sounds way to  familiar , no one can be happy for you /with the car, they have to put ya down with dumb stupid comments on the size or how much fuel it uses, ( dumb ass's, i have a 318 at moment it's probably better on fuel than thier car) , oh and how ugly it is, i get that a bit from one (jeolous) :smilielol:
but on the other hand i also get alot of great comments,  :2thumbs:
ya dont have to like the car but just respect  either workmanship/car/or owner  say something nice and walk off, keep ya jeolous  minded stupid comments to ya self,  :D :shruggy:

my rantover :nana:
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

billssuperbird

i had a guy tap on my fenders to see if there was any plastic in them. :nono:

41husk

I have had people gey closer than I like gaulking or taking pics but never any intentional aggressivness.  I do hate when I park way out in the south forty of the lot , only to come out and have someone parked right next to me :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NHCharger

Gassing up my 72 at a station some lady driving a Ford Explorer made a comment about my car being a gas guzzler and a air polluter. I told her I got 17 MPG then asked her what the trailer hitch on her car was for. "Oh, that's for towing our boat and snowmobiles". ::)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

AKcharger

Nope, I never had anything like that happen. 

A383Wing

Quote from: Musicman on November 04, 2011, 05:08:27 PM
Sometimes they'll pass and wave or give you the thumbs up, but I've never gotten the finger. :lol:

so you don't feel left out...

elacruze

I haven't received any negative or aggressive behavior, although I was shocked at how many people just don't notice the car at all. Those must be the people who drive off washed out bridges etc.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

______

I was cruising down the freeway @ 75mph after leaving a car show in Utah at 9pm. Its about an hour drive home for me. I was within sight of my home down when I came up on the port of entry. I noticed I was coming up on a semi that was merging onto the highway. I naturally merged left and noticed a set of headlights gaining on me pretty fast. Just before I caught up the the point where the semi was merging this chevy astro blows by me on the right cutting off the merging semi. He then got in front of me and slammed on his brakes!!! The ole charger was sweatin' a little bit tryin to slow down on a dime! He resumed his speed of 90+ mph and got back in the right lane. I was FURIOUS! Slammed the skinny down to the floor and let the ole gal get it. I caught up to the astro and blew past him only to slow down to 55 mph next to another semi for the remaining  8 miles to my exit. I know it probably wasnt the right thing to do but I absolutly hate hate hate ignorant drivers. Especially when they are reckless for no reason!  :brickwall:
1969 Charger R/T  440/727
2006 Mega Cab - Triple turbo Cummins - 1079hp/2XXX tq

hemi o

Yea,had the two finger salute given to me from a driver going the other way,couldn't believe it,driving a shitheap jappa.Too many bloody tree huggers around here sometimes. :brickwall:

The gas guzzler and polluter is my favorite comment of all of em.  :yesnod:   I like the saying posted somewhere else on this site "Buy a hybrid, I need your gas"

Probably also not the best thing to do but when I'm in my big old 1977 4x4 F150 and someone in a prius tries to race in front of me in the merge lane I have no problems running them onto the shoulder. Funny how it always seems to be the smaller cars that also try to cut you off dangerously.  

99% of the time I drive in a safe manner and respect other drivers but have no time for the ones that blatantly disobey basic road etiquette.

Musicman

tan top

tail gating !!  :flame: ,
nother one thats anoying !!  pulling out from a side street  ,  right in front so i have to brake  !! when i've  seen them sitting there 100 yards  away with a clear road  :rant: !!  could be just trying to get a closer  look !! but then why not wait till i have gone past  :shruggy: that happens loads of times  !!  
nother one  is ricers following !! trying in instigate a race , slowing down then speeding up fast ! right close to the rear bumper !!  or just following !!  maybe trying  to find out where the charger lives  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ACUDANUT

Quote from: elacruze on November 04, 2011, 09:23:09 PM
I haven't received any negative or aggressive behavior, although I was shocked at how many people just don't notice the car at all. Those must be the people who drive off washed out bridges etc.

Alot of people look at cars as just a mode of transportation...They could care a less about your car, or anyone else "in their way".

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: ______ on November 05, 2011, 02:49:05 AM
I was cruising down the freeway @ 75mph after leaving a car show in Utah at 9pm. Its about an hour drive home for me. I was within sight of my home down when I came up on the port of entry. I noticed I was coming up on a semi that was merging onto the highway. I naturally merged left and noticed a set of headlights gaining on me pretty fast. Just before I caught up the the point where the semi was merging this chevy astro blows by me on the right cutting off the merging semi. He then got in front of me and slammed on his brakes!!! The ole charger was sweatin' a little bit tryin to slow down on a dime! He resumed his speed of 90+ mph and got back in the right lane. I was FURIOUS! Slammed the skinny down to the floor and let the ole gal get it. I caught up to the astro and blew past him only to slow down to 55 mph next to another semi for the remaining  8 miles to my exit. I know it probably wasnt the right thing to do but I absolutly hate hate hate ignorant drivers. Especially when they are reckless for no reason!  :brickwall:

:o

That was you? Sorry, I was late for my weekly RRM (Road Rage Meeting)

BBD :icon_smile_big:

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: ______ on November 05, 2011, 02:49:05 AM

Never, never, never cut off the guy in the classic car!  He probably has drum brakes!

jb666

Aside from the comments that come from this forum, I've only had ONE bad experience with my car...

I was sitting at a set of lights.. When a colored man driving a Comcast van stopped dead in traffic (going the other way). He got out, walked over to my door and say "A confederate flag? REALLY? REALLY???". I just looked up and said "You are kidding, WHERE??".

NEVER have I had anyone make what's on my roof into a racial issue.. Anyone that's ever turned on a TV knows what it is...  :brickwall:

Aside from that, it's been 99.999% positive, in real life.

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on November 05, 2011, 09:42:06 AM
Never, never, never cut off the guy in the classic car!  He probably has drum brakes!

:lol:  Drum brake cars are NOT fun during panic stops.... They stop every which way except straight. Pucker factor big time...