News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI swap in my 1973 charger?

Started by coxie1996, November 14, 2011, 10:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxie1996

so i have a 1973 charger.. 318, 3 on the tree basic model charger.. its orange and black.. i had a 400 big block given to me.. and when i bought the car it had the original transmission to the car in the trunk.. it has a 727 in it now from what i'm told? anyways i had a good friend of mine say he'd trade a 5.7L HEMI for the big block.. its making 626 HP and 515 TQ.. the big block hasn't been ran in years lol.. he said it isn't the 426 its a custom poured and forged 350 block with everything else HEMI.. i'm not exactly sure about this. it has been rebuilt with cam crank pistons, etc.. and is bolted up to a turbo 350 tranny right now.. what all would i have to do to make it fit? mounts? transmissions bolting up? driveshaft length? etc.. he did say that he would trade (HEMI with turbo tranny for 400BB with one of the trannys) just trying to get this all straightened out.. any info would be great thanks!

Cooter

Quote from: coxie1996 on November 14, 2011, 10:02:03 PM
so i have a 1973 charger.. 318, 3 on the tree basic model charger.. its orange and black.. i had a 400 big block given to me.. and when i bought the car it had the original transmission to the car in the trunk.. it has a 727 in it now from what i'm told? anyways i had a good friend of mine say he'd trade a 5.7L HEMI for the big block.. its making 626 HP and 515 TQ.. the big block hasn't been ran in years lol.. he said it isn't the 426 its a custom poured and forged 350 block with everything else HEMI.. i'm not exactly sure about this. it has been rebuilt with cam crank pistons, etc.. and is bolted up to a turbo 350 tranny right now.. what all would i have to do to make it fit? mounts? transmissions bolting up? driveshaft length? etc.. he did say that he would trade (HEMI with turbo tranny for 400BB with one of the trannys) just trying to get this all straightened out.. any info would be great thanks!

I'd say you need to post a picture of that "Hemi" in order for anybody here to steer you correctly. Sounds like someone's giving you a load of BS to me..."Poured and forged"? Kinda two different things. "350 Block everything else Hemi" Hmmmmm, sounds suspect to me. Course, this thread could be a joke as well too...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

coxie1996

this thread isn't a "joke"? im just trying to understand what he meants by saying its a 350 hemi.. i will try and get pics of it in the next few days

maxwellwedge

coxie1996

yes which makes sense, but its in a 79 camaro. soo is it a chevy or dodge hemi? its an older engine not the newer efi ones

Tilar

5.7 is a Chevrolet. Closest mopar engine would be a 5.9
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

djcarguy

Quote from: coxie1996 on November 17, 2011, 04:31:21 PM
yes which makes sense, but its in a 79 camaro. soo is it a chevy or dodge hemi? its an older engine not the newer efi ones
      so the 1996 in name is birth year,,,,,your 15 teen?????????take a adult and read manual bout engines before your swap for some no compression 79 chevy motor thing smog pump that is more likly a ran to death 305 or 307???????????

chevy hemi are joklng????????????  no one here can say what it is without pics and correct info,79 camero means nothing bout engine????  my 78 z28 has a 500 cube in caddy motor in it....

coxie1996

you have to realize something here.. yes I'm 15.. i already said no to it today.. I'm keeping the 400 and rebuilding it with a good friend.. and how many "kids" do you honestly know are into old American muscle.. at least I'm trying! that's what this forum was suppose to do help me.. NOT HATE ON MY AGE!  :RantExplode:

flyinlow

The current 5.7 Hemi is 345 cu.in. They fudge the numbers a little sometimes to get the number for the side of the car that they want. They are close but not exact.   6.4L = 392 cu.in.  ?  Sometimes Madison Avenue is more important than math.

djcarguy

Quote from: coxie1996 on November 19, 2011, 06:55:55 PM
you have to realize something here.. yes I'm 15.. i already said no to it today.. I'm keeping the 400 and rebuilding it with a good friend.. and how many "kids" do you honestly know are into old American muscle.. at least I'm trying! that's what this forum was suppose to do help me.. NOT HATE ON MY AGE!  :RantExplode:
there was no hate ,,,,no cap letters ??????????  just trying to warn or get ya to do your research first and not trade for some useless ,odd chevy stuff........
     just keep the 318 in car and avoid tickets and high insurance you face at your age?  where was the hate? my sons are 20 and 22 with good driving records and insurance is high for young guys..  take care of car and drive safe,worry bout big engine and more power later on ,like years from now.dj

flyinlow

I don,t think Chevy ever made any hemispherical heads. Most 350 Chevies are simple "wedge" shaped combustion cambered headed engines. Either a 5.7 hemi or a 350 SBC can be built to 626 HP, but it would take alot of $ and it might not be a very streetable. A 5.7 Hemi will not bolt to a Turbo 350 trans without an adaptor plate or adaptor belhousing. I think a small block 727 trans. will bolt to 5.7 Hemi with the right flexplate.

A 400BB, 5.7 Hemi or a 350 chevy can be installed in your 73. The 400 BB would be the simplest and least expensive, assuming its is a serviceable engine. You would need adaptor mounts (Schumaker) or a BB k-frame, BB 727 tran.,driveshaft, radiator,exhaust,etc.

I put a 440 in my 73/318 Charger. Used adaptor mounts.  I recommend you prepair the car first. Brakes,suspension and rear axle up to the higher powered engine? I installed new rear springs and an 8 3/4 SG axle first.