News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hurst shift linkage question

Started by tkkruzer, March 14, 2007, 03:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkkruzer

I have the shifter from an A833-od and am planning to put a pistol grip handle on it, problem is the existing handle has no bolts or hole, so how do I take it apart? and will a repo pistol grip be able to work? ???please inform, :icon_smile_big: thanx TK

John_Kunkel

If the shifter has a push in stick you need to slide a .010" feeler gauge down between the left side of the stick and the shifter socket to release the tab that holds the stick in place.
It often helps to push the stick into the socket while inserting the feeler gauge.

A repop push in pistol grip shifter will fit just fine as long as it's properly shaped for the body/seat combo.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tecmopar

I haven't looked very hard but all of the New reproduction PG handles I've come across are for bolt in only so you may want to check that out first, good luck.

tkkruzer

thanx guys this was a real head scratcher to me now i can take it apart, do any of you guys now where i can get a puch in P/G handle? I need the small stick for a B body with a console. thanx again :icon_smile_cool:TK

Ghoste

About the only way I think is to cut one of each apart and weld them togather as the style you want.  A better option is to spend a little more and get a better shifter which will take the pistol grip handle.  A Hurst Competition Plus is a good choice.

mopar400

Hi, could someone please explain to me how to remove a hurst original push on style shifter!
I´ve tried the method explained with a 0.010 gauge, left side, push down...can´t get it of :brickwall:
How exactly is it attached to the linkage? How hard I´m i supposed to push/pull?

/Linus

John_Kunkel

Sometimes you have to push down hard on the shift handle while inserting the feeler gauge. There is a sheetmetal tab in the mechanism that pops into a hole in the handle, when you insert the feeler gauge you're pushing the tab out of the hole to release the handle...pushing down hard on the handle makes the tab release easier.

It doesn't hurt to squirt a little WD-40 around the top of the mechanism where the handle plugs in.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: tkkruzer on March 15, 2007, 12:10:01 PM
thanx guys this was a real head scratcher to me now i can take it apart, do any of you guys now where i can get a puch in P/G handle? I need the small stick for a B body with a console. thanx again :icon_smile_cool:TK

B-Body with console handle is not small - It is the longest, wackiest handle of the bunch.

mopar400

Thank you very much great pictures!
So I guess theres some kind of spring loaded "thing" that locks the handle, right?

/Linus

Chryco Psycho

yes there is a tab that spring inward & locks into a notch in the handle

mopar400

Hello, Just got back from the garage..shifter is still in place.. :flame:
Just cant seem to get it out, I removed the console, pushed down on the shifter, tried to insert the feeler gauge,
it only comes down about 2cm (dont know what that is in inches..sorry ;)) nothing happends
tried to wiggle the gauge about a bit, still nothing.
Maybe it would be better to remove the shifter mechanism all together and get a new one, with holes!
What I´m I doing wrong?

/Linus

John_Kunkel

Try squirting some spray lube all around the opening and let it soak in...then push the handle firmly against the for/aft and side to side stops repeatedly.

mopar400

Yes I´ve put some wd40 in there, how far do u need to put the feeler gauge in?

Chryco Psycho