News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the rarest car you've found sitting?

Started by 69bronzeT5, November 02, 2011, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Back in 1975 outside of Biloxi Ms. they were expanding the interstate. Looking for trails to use my FJ-40 4X4 on I found an entire junk yard, 2-3 acres just off the under construction service road for the interstate. It was hidden fairly well in brush and trees. The newest cars were late 40's and the oldest the frame and engine of a La France @ 1904 or something like that. Inquiring around the area, a local had said the surviving family members had been fighting over it for many years as the cars went to ruin.  :rotz: 

Stretch

I don't have any pictures but I found green superbird in a junk yard. All that was left was the shell. It did get rescued. It was rebuilt by a guy in Hurley WI. He owns a body shop. The other car was right next to it in the same Houghton Mi Junk yard. It was a 100% complete '67, '68, or '69 (I dont really know these cars) firebird with the inline overhead cam 6 cyl. it also had the pontiac version of the powerglide in it. It looked like it was driven there and parked. Hell it looked like you could drive it out of there if you wanted! I might have pics of these cars but I really have no idea where to look.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Magnumcharger

Just thought of a few more:
1970 Hemi Superbee (on the same day as the previous R/T...different location)
A 1967 Hemi Charger
A few Charger R/T's in Junkyards, all 440's...some fourspeeds, some automatics
A SixBarrel 1970 Roadrunner in a cattle paddock
A 1969 Camaro Z10 Indy Pacecar 396 Convertible in a barn (!) with a mother cat and kittens living on the front seat!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

FJMG

70 mustang convertible, 428 scj, 4 SPD, drag pack, supposedly one of two built.

Old Moparz

I spotted a 1970 Challenger R/T Convertible that was sitting in a fenced yard at a transmission shop in northern NJ. (Waldwick maybe, across from a commuter train station.) It was in the early 90's when I was working with a land surveying crew & saw the ratty old ragtop roofline behind some other cars. I knew it was a Mopar but not sure which model until after work when I went to go look at it.

I saw the R/T badges, the collapsed roof, & the very crooked stance it had that wasn't from flat tires. I went to the office & asked about it & the shop owner said it was nice when it came in here, but the owner never had the money to fix it & said he'd be back for it. It sat there for many years & by the looks of it, probably 10 or more years. The guy said go look if you want & that he could get a title for it if I was interested.

The car sat crooked due to the fact the rear frame rail was rotted away & the leaf spring perch was resting against the underside of the rain gutter channel & quarter panel. The car looked complete, but anything metal was completely rotted. The trans shop was almost adjacent to a town highway yard that had huge piles of salt stored outside. I guess it was like leaving a car to be a victim of the salt air by the ocean.   ::)

He wanted $1000 for it, but I passed on it & gave the name of the shop & location to a guy I knew that was into Mopars & owned a flatbed. I did write down the VIN & checked it, it was a 383 R/T car. Don't know whatever became of it.   :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Fred

How sad  :'( seeing all those beauties go to waste like that.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

C_stripes

I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

bobs66440

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on November 03, 2011, 11:14:55 PM
Was looking for a car in 1984. Guy working as a temp where I worked heard about it and asked if I'd be interested in a Mustang ragtop. I really wasn't but he said I should come take a look.

In his back yard under a tarp, rusting away....1968 Shelby Cobra GT 500

$1200
:o Did you buy it??!!

gtx6970

approx 1980 or 1981 time frame.
Behind an old apartment building in Walton KY was this white 1969 Camaro convertible with this ugly pumpkin orange interior , on the ft fenders were 396 callouts.

About 2 weeks  later the light bulb came on and  I realized that it was a factory big block Pace car convertible, it was gone. and I was told the apartment bldgs owner junked it a couple days earlier. He'd finally grown tired of it sitting there never moving since the early 70's . The tenant had moved out in the late 70's and never came back for it.

Same town and same time frame. There was guy in town with several AMC Rebel Macines in his backyard rotting away. I was told several years later he sold off a couple of them and when the remaining few didn't sell, he sent them to the crusher.

Mid to late 80's time frame in Williamstown Ky, there was a 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst hardtop. I tried for several years to locate the owner to no avail, then one day it was gone and and never seen again. NO idea what ever happend to that one

71charger_fan

There was a 300Hurst in a garage behind the old General Tire dealership in Frederick, MD for years. One day it, and the garages, were gone. About a block away, I looked at, and passed on, a '71 fresh-air hood GTX because it was missing its engine and the entire interior.

FC7 V code

A white Superbird sitting alongside a body shop in Fibre, MI in about 1973, It sat for a couple years minus either its motor or transmission. My Cousin was looking for a hot Mopar at the time and I was about 15 and  tagged along on his searches. He passed on the bird and bought a blue 69 GTX 4 speed that we later spotted in St. Ignace, MI. It was owned by a Coast Guard sailor that was about to be transferred, only had about about 12,000 miles on it and was complete, well almost it was missing the starter. We soon learned that with the headers on the car you could count on replacing the starter about every 1000 miles or so. We removed the headers and went back to stock manifolds. Biggest regret was not buying the car for 3k in about 1982 when my Cousin decided to "settle down" and move on from high performance Mopars. I also remember that there was a gold 71 runner and a blue 70 Charger 500 in a small junkyard near Newberry, MI well into the 80's. The Roadrunner was nearly complete and the Charger was pretty picked over although it did contribute a few parts to My 1970 Charger RT/SE that I was restoring at the time. After I stripped the parts I needed off the Charger plus a few extras that may come in handy someday I never want back, until about four years ago. Junkyard is now totally gone and is a potato field...things change!
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: bobs66440 on November 11, 2011, 09:40:29 AM
Was looking for a car in 1984. Guy working as a temp where I worked heard about it and asked if I'd be interested in a Mustang ragtop. I really wasn't but he said I should come take a look.

$1200

Nope. Honestly, back then I had no idea how special the car was and the fact that it was a total basketcase scared me off.

71charger_fan

There's was a forlorn GT-500 that sat alongside a metal barn somewhere around Blue Hill, Maine from '77 'til '80 when I left the area. Didn't seem all that special then.

My first car was a '59 Coronet. I've only ever seen three or four others, but I've seen scores of Daytonas and Superbirds.

Fred

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on November 12, 2011, 09:52:30 AM
Quote from: bobs66440 on November 11, 2011, 09:40:29 AM

$1200

Nope. Honestly, back then I had no idea how special the car was and the fact that it was a total basketcase scared me off.

If only we knew back then what we know now............wouldn't we all be a happy lot?

Vainglory, Esq.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Vainglory, Esq.

C_stripes

C_stripes

Davtona

For me the rarest would be an F-6 440 Daytona. Tried to buy it finally gave up dealing with the guy. Also bought an original Hemi 68 Roadrunner out of a junk yard for $25.00. My buddies couldn't believe it at the time. Remember a 69 500 and a original 69 Hemi Charger I could never get bought either. The Daytona was the rarest by far though. Sitting by a farm house with rag weeds almost obscuring it from view as you drove by.

moparstuart

Quote from: C_stripes on November 13, 2011, 01:22:20 AM
Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on November 12, 2011, 10:29:50 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 12, 2011, 10:27:04 PM
Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on November 12, 2011, 10:23:12 PM
Quote from: C_stripes on November 11, 2011, 09:16:46 AM
Somehow I forgot about this one;

Holy sh__t!!!
you can say that again

Holy sh__t!!!

So what happened to this car!?

:)

It's hidden away.

It also happened to play as the promo car in the clip enclosed;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiURMjiDnTg&feature=related
Same car. :)
greatest mopar commercial ever ,  love the air grabber opening and shutting   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Fred

Quote from: moparstuart on November 14, 2011, 12:41:53 PM
Quote from: C_stripes on November 13, 2011, 01:22:20 AM
Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on November 12, 2011, 10:29:50 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 12, 2011, 10:27:04 PM
Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on November 12, 2011, 10:23:12 PM
Quote from: C_stripes on November 11, 2011, 09:16:46 AM
Somehow I forgot about this one;

Holy sh__t!!!
you can say that again

Holy sh__t!!!

So what happened to this car!?

:)

It's hidden away.

It also happened to play as the promo car in the clip enclosed;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiURMjiDnTg&feature=related
Same car. :)
greatest mopar commercial ever ,  love the air grabber opening and shutting   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I'm lucky enough to have that promo along with other greats featuring the Cuda and a great looking GTX. Not only are the clips great to watch, the music's pretty good to. Also plenty of Dodge and Plymouth commercials from back then.

69DodgeCharger

1970 FM3 "pink" 70 Roadrunner convertible sitting with some other derelicts in the woods near Tustin, MI At the time in 1989 it had already been sitting long enough for the blue tarp over it to rust holes right through the body where it was resting on it. it was fairly complete and could have been restored at that time. But after sitting there for another 12-15 years or so before it finally was put inside I'm not so sure. At the time it belonged to a guy named Todd in Newport, MI he offered it to me for $30,000 in 2002. This included a "dry" 70 Satellite body for donor parts. allegedly it is one of 3 in that color. Auto on the column, 383C.I. white top and interior, dust trail stripes down the side and large Plymouth decals on the quarter panels, Rallye guages. Rumour is that that some locals stopped by during it's outside hibernation and relieved it and some other Mopars there of basically everything they could cart off. I have always wondered if anybody rescued this poor thing.

The other car was a 70 Superbird, Lemon Twist Yellow, Auto on the column 6 Pak car, 70,000 miles. This car was found sitting on a car trailer next door to Don's  Adopt-A-Car in Cadillac Michigan. Also in the spring of 1989. It sat on the trailer there for about a year and then dissapeared to who knows where. Rumour is a guy in Traverse City, MI bought it and was having it restored.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

daveco

Hemi RoadRunner (pretty well picked over) in a wrecking yard near Fort Hood TX, this was around around 1985.
R/Tree