News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the rarest car you've found sitting?

Started by 69bronzeT5, November 02, 2011, 03:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Figured this would be an interesting topic. What is the rarest car you've found sitting? In a backyard, junkyard, field, barn etc. :popcrn: I have a few.....

-'68 Hemi Charger R/T. All original and all there. I think it's an actual survivor. Red, white top, black interior, stripe delete, red steelies w/ dog dishes. Sitting in a transmission shop on jack stands. The guy that owns the shop owns the car. It's been sitting there for a good amount of time under a car cover because he's had nothing but issues trying to find Hemi brake stuff for it that's not an arm and a leg. No pictures, he wouldn't let me. Great guy though! He said last time he let someone take a picture of it, the picture ended up all over the internet along with the location of the car :rotz: He also had a '71 Challenger R/T 383 (customer car) in the shop beside it under a car cover. His wife owns a '69 Roadrunner and he just picked up two '70 Challenger R/T SE projects (one Sublime & the other Plum Crazy) which I have yet to check out.

-'69 Mach 1 Mustang. 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Originally Calypso Coral blue with white interior. Shaker, fog lights, rear window louvers, A/C and 49,000 original miles. My best friend owns it, her dad gave it to her years ago. It was his high school car. It just sits outside under a plastic cover however we are going to get it stored away properly soon. Somebody stole the Shaker setup and hood pin lanyards off of it one night :flame:

-'70 Hemi Roadrunner. EV2 Hemi Orange with black interior. A friend's dad owns it. He's had it for yeaaaars. Just sits on the bottom floor of his huge shop (yes, it's got 3 floors!!).

-'71 Duster 340 Wedge 4 speed. B5 blue with black interior and black stripes. Lower quarters are a little rusty but other wise it's all there. Sitting in the trailer park for years now.

These I'd say are the rarest ones I've found. I know of a lot of other cars such as small bock Dusters, Camaros, 1964-1965 Mustangs etc. Sooo, come on and share everyone!!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

maxwellwedge

SE Daytona, 71 Hemi Charger, 71 Six-Pack Charger......All in BC. All outside. Same owner.

More - can't remember at the moment. I bought the SE Daytona years ago....passed on the other two.

TheAutoArchaeologist

:whistling:
(That is NOT a whistling smiley of condemnation of Cody.  That was a whistling smiley of sarcasm that I don't know of any rare cars, of which I may know of one or two...maybe)

b5blue

A mid sixty's Morgan 2+2, VERY Rare sports car, under a carport, covered, behind a repair shop. The second I saw the tarp I knew what I was looking at. It needed repairs (Wood repairs.) but was 90% complete. The shop wanted it gone badly, said owner will take 800.00.....I was very broke at the time! I'm still pissed about that one. By the time I had money a year later, even the shop was gone!    :lol:

Brock Lee

A 1970 Hemi Superbird in amongst 20 or so 2nd generation B bodies, all complete, all sitting. Most were Satellites. It had once had a fire in the engine bay, so the paint was all blistered on the hood and in the engine bay and was rusting. I have heard from a couple of people it was restored in recent years, so that is good.

BrianShaughnessy

Rusted out 69 Charger 500 sitting in a junkyard in Kingston NY around 1988 or so.     Was looking for parts for another 69 Charger I had at that time.
Nothing worth salvaging from that car.   No pix.
Junkyard was closed down after the owner died shortly after that and all the cars were scrapped.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

TheGhost

70 coronet r/t convertible a few blocks from my parents house a few years back.  Half under a tarp.  Owner was gonna restore it someday, after he restored his 70something ranchero.  It dissapeared a couple years later.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

69 OUR/TEA

If you are speaking rare as in "production number"not value or desirability,a 72 Road Runner GTX I found in a barn 2 years ago in PA just over the NY line.The total on those was just 672,this one a fact air grabber,#'s matching,BS,and orig window sticker,runs and drives.Still sitting today,except in my garage.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

This...  :o

1 of 58 factory twin turbo Corvettes from 1990  :coolgleamA:

mauve66

looks like the turbos got the best of the driver........................ :brickwall: :brickwall:

i never find rare stuff, had a chance to buy a 74 RR-GTX complete with 440 back in 93 but rusty floor boards made me think twice, same color as my original RR but...........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

RallyeMike

RarEST to answer the question in a broad sense, would be my 1974 440 Charger Rallye, one of only 213 made, which was abandoned at an auto repair shop because the owner could not pay the bill. Sat for about 9 months before I was able to pry it loose.

RarEST in terms of a car being unique in it's form and options, is probably my 69 Charger 500, which is probably a 1 of 1 if you take it down to the option configuration. Found sitting? The owner was selling it which is how I found it, but it had not been drivable for quite some time.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mopar440+6

1941 Plymouth Business Coupe at a local junkyard. To my knowledge it is still in the same place I found it...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Todd Wilson

340 4 speed Cuda and a 71 Charger rt 440 4 Speed Dana 60 car.
And a Dodge Bighorn..........

Todd

C_stripes

I have found a few.

One of nine 70 Charger 500 slant six three on the tree. One of One in Red with white interior and no vinyl top. Also was coded as an export car.
One of 56 70 4spd post HEMI Road Runners. FY1 with tan interior, no vinyl top
The 70 Road Runner Ad car :)

And many others.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

bull

1970 lime green Superbird in a wrecking yard with a smashed nose.

1969chargerrtse

One of my close friends had this car under a tarp in his garage. One day he said to me, ok I've known you long enough. What do you think is under the tarp?  I never reall thought about it for some reason. I looked and said, I don't know?  A MG?  He says lift the cover. The first thing I saw on the body was a Ford emblem. An AC Cobra?  Yep. He got it in the 60's from someone that owed him money and found out it listed as stolen at the time. He still has the car today, covered. It even has a rare removal hard top. I sat in it a few times, pretty cool car. Just sitting for decades.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemi68charger

A Daytona sitting in an apartment complex in Arlington, Texas, '69 Charger 500 in Austin, Texas behind a huge cedar tree, Petty Blue 6bbl Superbird sitting next to an old house in West Palm Beach, Florida and a B5 Hemi Superbird sitting next to a house in San Antonio, Texas. All of those were, "Oh Damn !!!" moments....  Of course, I'm old and digital cameras were around back then..  :lol:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

C_stripes

I forgot one. A red on white numbers matching 440 4spd Daytona sitting less than 100' from the railroad tracks in a quansit hut in Idaho.

We saved all the cars I have mentioned. Although the 70 Charger turned out to have been stollen in 1987 and had been sitting in plane site in the same town it had supposedly been stollen from till I got it in '02. Then when we went to title it, shit hit the the fan and the "owner" wanted it back. Last I knew it was doing the same thing it was, sitting in a field rotting to the ground.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Dino

Nothing mopar but saw the hand made aluminum Porsche 356 prototype in the museum in Germany, a few rare Morgan's, Aston Martin DB5 and DB6's, several rare and obscure cars including an Excalibur.  Actually saw three total in my lifetime, maybe they're not so rare afterall.....

I've seen a ton of really nice and rare cars when I still restored them , but the one that made my blood run cold was the personal Mercedes of one of Hitler's generals.  I got called by a friend of my dad's one day who was on the team that moves these rare beasts to and from the musea and he requested I came by their hangar to try and brace the body for transport without disturbing this historic artifact.  Weirdest experience ever! 

They also showed me the pictures of what they found in the car such as documents and the obligatory Ruger in the glove box.  Scary stuff.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger_Dart

How about rare, unusual, part of family, but not worth much?

My grandfather bought this car just after WWII and my mom learned to drive in it. I found it stashed away in the back of a barn.
I owned it for several years and now my cousin has it and is restoring it. It really starting to look good now.

1947 Crosley pickup -

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Dino

Quote from: Charger_Dart on November 03, 2011, 12:00:11 PM
How about rare, unusual, part of family, but not worth much?

My grandfather bought this car just after WWII and my mom learned to drive in it. I found it stashed away in the back of a barn.
I owned it for several years and now my cousin has it and is restoring it. It really starting to look good now.

1947 Crosley pickup -

That's pretty cool!  Looks like something Wallace and Gromet would drive though.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

arrow

this one has been in storage sense 1979 , has 41,000 miles on it

arrow

Musicman

(1) of (1) A12 Six Pack Super Bee cleverly disguised as a common 383 car with an unusual interior  :scratchchin:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 03, 2011, 07:23:11 AM
A Daytona sitting in an apartment complex in Arlington, Texas, '69 Charger 500 in Austin, Texas behind a huge cedar tree, Petty Blue 6bbl Superbird sitting next to an old house in West Palm Beach, Florida and a B5 Hemi Superbird sitting next to a house in San Antonio, Texas. All of those were, "Oh Damn !!!" moments....  Of course, I'm old and digital cameras were around back then..  :lol:

:smilielol: :smilielol:  :eek2:  after a all these years with age it become quite a list doesn't it. :scratchchin:  Including plenty of "should have boughts".   I think my list is larger for the ones I have gone looking for the ghost/holly grail then the list I have actually found or seen :smilielol: