News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual Brakes vs. Power Brakes : Your thoughts?

Started by Surf Charger, November 02, 2011, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

So my '69 Charger has manual brakes. Thought about possibly converting to power but I've also seen several guys convert from power to manual.

What are the benefits of sticking with manual? Notice any big differences between the two?

thanks!

elacruze

Disc or drum?

Either way, properly set up they all work pretty good-power only makes pedal effort lighter. I converted mine to 11.5" front discs without adding a booster, and I couldn't be happier.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

terrible one

I went with manual brakes for the cost savings, used a 73 charger disc setup with challenger calipers. I too couldn't be happier. Pedal feel is great and I can lock 'em up without too much effort.

Surf Charger

Quote from: elacruze on November 02, 2011, 11:24:40 AM
Disc or drum?

Either way, properly set up they all work pretty good-power only makes pedal effort lighter. I converted mine to 11.5" front discs without adding a booster, and I couldn't be happier.

I have drums all around. But converting to front discs w/out adding booster sounds very appealing. How diffucult was this process?

Surf Charger

Quote from: terrible one on November 02, 2011, 11:54:51 AM
I went with manual brakes for the cost savings, used a 73 charger disc setup with challenger calipers. I too couldn't be happier. Pedal feel is great and I can lock 'em up without too much effort.

Is the '73 Charger disc setup the same as the 11.5" discs mentioned in the earlier response?

What exactly is needed to do this conversion as far as buying parts? Any fabrication needed or is it all bolt-on application?

terrible one

Quote from: Surf Charger on November 02, 2011, 12:53:45 PM

Is the '73 Charger disc setup the same as the 11.5" discs mentioned in the earlier response?

What exactly is needed to do this conversion as far as buying parts? Any fabrication needed or is it all bolt-on application?

If I remember correctly the rotors are 10.87", so most call them 11" rotors. They are the smallest of the bunch. All parts are available at the parts store, this is one of the appeals. Off top, if using a factory setup like me, you will need to get the spindles and caliper brackets off of a donor car/ used. Everything else I bought from the parts store: bearings, rotors, calipers, pads, and hoses. I used a master cylinder from a '74 Dart with manual discs.

This will help you SO MUCH if you want to do a conversion using factory parts like me and many others: http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

As you will notice after reading the Disc-O-Tech article, you can put together an even better setup than mine using bigger rotors, better calipers, etc. for pretty cheap.

Surf Charger

Quote from: terrible one on November 02, 2011, 01:04:58 PM
Quote from: Surf Charger on November 02, 2011, 12:53:45 PM

This will help you SO MUCH if you want to do a conversion using factory parts like me and many others: http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

As you will notice after reading the Disc-O-Tech article, you can put together an even better setup than mine using bigger rotors, better calipers, etc. for pretty cheap.

Wow thanks so much for this.

elacruze

It's a simple bolt-on process, but there are a couple things to watch for.

If you go with the 'small' 10.5" discs, you can usually find a complete setup including spindles for a couple hundred $.

If you go with the 'big' 11.5" discs, you have to find the caliper brackets which are harder to come by, and you have to be sure that they are the correct style for your calipers-pin type or slider type. Once you have all the parts, again it's a simple bolt-up. I used a master cylinder kit from Dr. Diff (google him if you don't know him) Simple stuff, really. I went a couple steps up and bought top-end slotted drilled plated rotors, and had them cryo treated and use Porterfield street compound brake pads. It's a great setup, I can lock the wheels with no more than a firm push.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.