News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Head Leaking - Questions (pics)

Started by Surf Charger, October 31, 2011, 12:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

So I'm new to the vintage Charger world. Trying to get her up and running good. Noticed a slow coolant leak coming from under the header bracket. Everyone said it was probably a seal puncture from the bolts. Dropped the header to replace the gasket and discovered the leak is not from the bolts. (see picture below). There was a spot of rust so I wiped the area and a nice little hole appeared.

So here's my question....is this something that I can take to a shop and have fixed or will I need to replace this head all together?

My issue is that I know very little on what was done to the engine in the early 80's. I know it has a mild cam...but I'm not sure whats been done as far as headwork...valves, etc.

Looking for recommendations/suggestions. Thanks!

Rolling_Thunder

that is merely a frost plug (freeze plug) - you can remove just the round portion and have a new brass one installed...    no need to replace the whole head.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Surf Charger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 31, 2011, 12:12:17 PM
that is merely a frost plug (freeze plug) - you can remove just the round portion and have a new brass one installed...    no need to replace the whole head.

Well that is good news. How much of a pain in the butt is it to replace that plug without pulling the whole head?

Rolling_Thunder

not a huge deal -  getting the old one out with pliers or knocking it sideways with a punch and pry it out. Knock a new one in with a hammer and socket
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

maxwellwedge

Yup - And I would put a little sealant on it as well.

RECHRGD

might not be a bad idea to replace all of them while your at it....
13.53 @ 105.32

Surf Charger

Thank you all for the recommendations. Now just to find where I can get the replacement freeze plugs. I believe I will go ahead and replace them all.

As far as getting the others out, should I just drill a hole through them and pull them out that way?

Bob

Quote from: Surf Charger on October 31, 2011, 06:03:16 PM
Thank you all for the recommendations. Now just to find where I can get the replacement freeze plugs. I believe I will go ahead and replace them all.

As far as getting the others out, should I just drill a hole through them and pull them out that way?

They may know them as freeze plugs but they are realy core plugs. Most auto parts stores have them.

Bob

Surf Charger

Quote from: Bob on October 31, 2011, 06:37:41 PM
Quote from: Surf Charger on October 31, 2011, 06:03:16 PM

They may know them as freeze plugs but they are realy core plugs. Most auto parts stores have them.

Bob

Thanks bob. I will go to Autozone and check it out......

terrible one

I'd say the easiest way To get them out is what someone mentioned earlier; to hit the edge with a nail punch to get it turned sideways, then pull it out with a pair of pliers. Also check your antifreeze with a voltmeter, anything over around .4 volts IIRC means you should flush and replace your coolant. That is likely the cause of the corrosion that ate through the plug.

Cooter

Also, once you have the bottom of the block plugs out, if the engine hasn't been rebuilt, be ready to get out your coat hanger and do some poking round in the water jacket. There may be alot of old crud in the block. I've seen some that the coolant wouldn't even drain out until I poked through the crap. totally blocked up the core plug hole at the bottom of block.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Surf Charger

Quote from: Cooter on October 31, 2011, 07:41:03 PM
Also, once you have the bottom of the block plugs out, if the engine hasn't been rebuilt, be ready to get out your coat hanger and do some poking round in the water jacket. There may be alot of old crud in the block. I've seen some that the coolant wouldn't even drain out until I poked through the crap. totally blocked up the core plug hole at the bottom of block.

From what I understand, the engine was rebuilt around the early 80's. Its basically been run on a normal basis except for the last 8 months as it was parked. I was trying to determine if it would be easier just to buy new aluminum heads through 440source and replace them all together. But right now I am just trying to get it running decent so I can drive it as-is and get the body work done. Down the road I will eventually pull the engine and rebuild the whole thing. Thats why I'm not sure I want to dump a bunch of money into the engine right now just to put band-aids on problem areas.

For now I'm going to try and replace the freeze plugs (1st time for me..never done it before), flush the coolant/radiator, replace hoses and go from there.

TK73

Get that thing running and post pics!!   :2thumbs:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Surf Charger

Quote from: TK73 on October 31, 2011, 09:55:45 PM
Get that thing running and post pics!!   :2thumbs:

I'm working on it! Can't wait to get it running good. Here it is when I first put it in the garage...

And in its current state...

Surf Charger

Quote from: Cooter on October 31, 2011, 07:41:03 PM
be ready to get out your coat hanger and do some poking round in the water jacket. There may be alot of old crud in the block. I've seen some that the coolant wouldn't even drain out until I poked through the crap.

Is the water jacket an actual gasket or just part of the head? Sorry for the newb question. I used a magnet to get out a bunch of rusted metal..cleaned it out good.

If I poke around with a coat hanger, I want to make sure I don't "puncture" the water jacket. Seems to sound like its a delicate thing. Trying to figure out if that is the case.

nvrbdn

your heads are metal and you can poke away. just look to see that the passage way that the water flows looks to be open so water can flow. blocked waterways will not allow proper cooling. same as with the block.water jackets, passage ways are just tunnels the water flows through while traveling through the motor.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Surf Charger

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 01, 2011, 02:07:57 PM
your heads are metal and you can poke away. just look to see that the passage way that the water flows looks to be open so water can flow. blocked waterways will not allow proper cooling. same as with the block.water jackets, passage ways are just tunnels the water flows through while traveling through the motor.

Waterways look to be clear...nothing blocking.

I successfully got the old freeze plugs out. Replaced with new ones and I did use black RTV high temp sealant around them as well as around the ridge of the opening. Got them flush to the head. Got some sealant on the outside which I need to clean off before putting the exhaust gaskets back on. Hopefully that will do the trick. First time doing that. Seemed pretty straight forward and a bit of maneuvering myself to find a good angle. Yes they are from China but its all Autozone had and I was too impatient to wait and order online. I plan on pulling the whole engine somewhere down the road over the next 2 years and doing a complete rebuild. For now I just need it up and running good as-is.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!

Chryco Psycho

maxwellwedge

Put some sealant on the header bolt threads when installing as well. They thread right into the water jackets and may leak.

Surf Charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 01, 2011, 08:45:09 PM
Put some sealant on the header bolt threads when installing as well. They thread right into the water jackets and may leak.

I will do this too. First thing though...I have to find new header bolts as mine are rusted pretty bad!

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

FLG

Take a wire wheel to the head before putting the gasket back on.

You can get new bolts from mancini racing,or just go to a hardware store with and old one and find a replacement grade 5 bolt. If you can find tham with a corrosion resistance coating or even better a good quality stainless bolt.

Surf Charger

Quote from: FLG on November 01, 2011, 09:14:27 PM
Take a wire wheel to the head before putting the gasket back on.

You can get new bolts from mancini racing,or just go to a hardware store with and old one and find a replacement grade 5 bolt. If you can find tham with a corrosion resistance coating or even better a good quality stainless bolt.

I do have a wire wheel so I will definitely do that. Going to take the rusted header bolts to the hardware store and see if I can find some stainless steel versions....

thanks for the suggestions!

Surf Charger

Since the coolant is drained, figured I would go ahead and do some other maintenance items while everything was easily accessible. Pulled the radiator as it showed signs of previous leakage. Taking it to a local radiator shop tomorrow that was recommended by the local mopar club members. Hopefully they can clean it and test it for leaks.

Replacing the soft fuel lines going in and out of the fuel pump. Also replacing hoses.

Any recommendations on other easy preventive maintenance items to replace while I have the front end off like this??

maxwellwedge

You can take the bumper brackets off and paint them black.