News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 Superbirds from the woods in South Carolina

Started by gymratt30, October 30, 2011, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gymratt30

"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

jonw29

This is a great story.Where is the resto shop?I live in the upstate,there are a few quality shops in this area.

maxwellwedge

Are they leaving the k-frame, steering column and pedals in the whole time?

gymratt30

I had to replace the k member with Hemi k... had to refurbish the peddle s also

nascarxx29

http://www.so-carspeedshops.com/
About 5 or more wingcars the orange car look like to me gymrats one of the found superbirds from SC
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

gymratt30

As much as I'd like to think it was my red car.....I'm pretty Much sure it isn't.  Mostly due to the fact that the original owner stated to me that my car hadn't been on the road since 1974. .he. bought it from a junk yard for 700 dollars.. I have a receipt from the junk yard....also I see one of those red birds has black decals and the other has bucket seats......mine is a bench seat white decal car.......the white car in thepic has black fender scoops ...........mine appear to be factory Alpine white........but I will ask the Guy I bought mine from if it could be possible.

Mikesmoparperformance

WOW what a story awesome! Nice Job on the 2 birds but why did you go with a HEMI for the Red bird? The VIN Say's is has a 440ci 6pack 4speed :cheers: HEMI is cool to :2thumbs: I'am just wondering :scratchchin:

MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

So-Car

I took the picture of those five winged cars in 1984.  This fellow also owned another Bird in disrepair and a Daytona in equal shape.  I believe he sold all of them before the popularity of these cars went through the roof.  Believe it or not the orange one on the end was his daily driver.  Or as we call them down here, 'grocery gitter.'

Even in South Carolina people would ask us, "what kind of car is that?" and "did you make that yourself?"

gymratt30

Quote from: Mikesmoparperformance on November 20, 2011, 09:48:15 AM
WOW what a story awesome! Nice Job on the 2 birds but why did you go with a HEMI for the Red bird? The VIN Say's is has a 440ci 6pack 4speed :cheers: HEMI is cool to :2thumbs: I'am just wondering :scratchchin:

The red car was born a U code car....four speed.......because it didn't have a motor at all in it...(gone).I decided to go with the Hemi that was a perfect casting date. Or period correct as people refer to these days
.anyway the question. Was weather to make it non matching number 440 car or a non matching Hemi car. I chose the latter.

troy.70R/T

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: gymratt30 on November 20, 2011, 07:13:09 PM
Quote from: Mikesmoparperformance on November 20, 2011, 09:48:15 AM

The red car was born a U code car....four speed.......because it didn't have a motor at all in it...(gone).I decided to go with the Hemi that was a perfect casting date. Or period correct as people refer to these days
.anyway the question. Was weather to make it non matching number 440 car or a non matching Hemi car. I chose the latter.

I see the HEMI is the best motor to go for then, The O might HEMI! Sounds awesome with a 4-speed  :drool5:
It's cool the have the HEMI because the White Bird has a 440 so now you got both engines to have fun with :2thumbs: good choice :cheers:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

CornDogsCharger

Hey Mike, I'm FINALLY getting around to posting on this topic... and what a great topic it is!!  I just all nine pages. Haha. I'm glad that you and your son were able to buy the cars and save them before they became "too far gone". I remember meeting you and You telling me about the cars at Talladega in '09. When you first started telling me about just recently buying two real 'Birds out of a yard I remember think "this guy can't be serious..." and then you pulled out the photo album and I was speechless!  I got the cliff notes version of the story then but to finally get the detailed version of the story made it even better. 

Between the nose cone and other random parts that were not reused, looks like you'll have a lot of cool wall art for the shop!  Keep up the great work. I just can't wait to see a picture of the old man with the red car.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

gymratt30

Hi Justin, good to hear from you,pettyBird (Doug C.) and Troy. I think I talked to you three guys more than anyone at that meet.  Doug, I really wantedto make the meet you hosted, ."too close to the finish line" on the red cars resto..( didnt want to rush it last minute) .
ps. after I saw a couple of cars you (CORNDOG) brought back from the dead, I knew, that you would see how much work i had  to  do on my two cars... I think I asked.....uhhh ,,,, "how busy are ya???"""lol
now back to the resto pics.

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30