News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do magazines still matter? How do you get your car news and info?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, October 29, 2011, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do magazines still matter? How do you get your car news and info?

Yes, Printed Mags cannot be replaced
19 (43.2%)
No, Internet is my only source
3 (6.8%)
Maybe, I read both print and internet
21 (47.7%)
I have no opinion, passing through...
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Do magazines still matter?  :popcrn:

How do you get your car news and info?  :scratchchin:

Fred

Magazines definitely still matter to me. I get heaps of info on line but a magazine is something you can fall back on any time without switching on the pc.
And I think that nothing beats a magazine for a good picture of a car.  :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

TUFCAT

"Mopar Only" magazines don't interest me right now. I like to read feature articles on all muscle cars.

In fact, my last "Mopar Only" magazine was Mopar Collector's Guide. I cancelled them nearly two years ago....and never looked back.

I'm sure I've missed some great content because its a great magazine (ask Rob Wolf). J/K. :D

My two current favorities are "Hemmings Muscle Machines" and "Muscle Car Review" which I can't live without. :2thumbs:

Budnicks

I still like to get the occasional magazine, but I see 90% of my material online now, I don't subscribe to any at this time save at least $120 a year, I still buy 1, if I see a good cover or article online or in the news stand & want it in print or know someone in the issue or something...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Ghoste

Cooter

Randy Bolig just commented on this very thing in MM mag. this month. Talking bout how they are "A changin' with the times" and such. I'd just be happy if after 4 years of asking for a pic of my sh*t at Carlisle (Afterall, we had John Schneider this year!?!?), in the mag. Oh well, I stil lread it for the "Articles".
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

I still read car mags for the same reason that I still read some mainstream political stuff.  It keeps your exposure more balanced than if you only read exactly what you seek out.   

Daytona R/T SE

Until recently, I got about 10 magazines mailed to my house every month.

I've decided to let most of them expire.

The ones I will NOT be renewing are:

Hot Rod... LS-WHAT?

Hemmings Muscle Machines... I really don't care about your grandpa's Buick.

Auto Round-Up (a bi-weekly classifieds magazine) I've never bought anything out of it in 20 years.

Rod and custom...Neat old cars...but 90% have a 350 Chevy in them. :puke:

Playboy...Pamela Anderson, again?  Really?  That's just NASTY! :eek:

EasyRiders... Born to be mild. :icon_smile_sleepy:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Magazines I used to get, included Auto Round-up, as they used to always have a ton of old Mopars. Not so much, anymore... I probably haven't subscribed since 1998...

Anyways, Over the past 25+ years, I have subscribed to (or received) the following:

America's Sports Car
Auto Enthusiast
Automobile
Auto Round-up
Autoweek
Car and Driver
Car Craft
Corvette Enthusiast
Corvette Fever
Corvette Quarterly
GM and High Tech
Hemmings
Hot Rod
Mopar Action
Mopar Collectors Guide
Mopar Muscle
Motor Trend
Muscle Car Review
Road & Track
Turbo (later became Turbo and High Tech Perf.)
Vette

Ones in red, I still receive...  :coolgleamA: About 3 years ago, I canned the rest  :slap: ..or they went out of circulation

rt green

sometimes i have to eat lunch in my car at work. i always have a mopar mag on hand. a laptop would be to distracting with the internet.
third string oil changer

Brads70

Seems to me they are really streching to find something new/fresh to write about. I only get one magazine these days( had to cut back) ...after all need something to read in the bathroom? :smilielol:

TexasStroker

I ended my subscription to Hot Rod bc I honestly didn't want to throw them away and I didn't like the stack getting bigger, lol.  The vas majority of mags are owned by the same parent company and thus you'll see the same car, with a slightly different feature in most of them...I also got burned out on it primarily being the high-end builds where vendors just give parts to be in the write-up.  I prefer the grass roots guy that has to pick between buying a wiring harness or rechroming a bumper.  Both are great cars, but the grass roots car will almost always have a better story with it...imo anyway.

I honestly prefer forums, but I will still buy a mag off the newsstand from time-to-time.  I am trying to save money or I would likely have a subscription to a stand-alone Mopar mag.

I actually plan to feature said grass roots cars on my own, haha...not sure anyone much will read, but I enjoy it, and it will mean something to the owner!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

tan top

use to get  car craft / camero craft  ::)    & hot rod !!  but stopped getting them  when   mopar muscle  , mopar action & hp mopar came out   

stopped  Mopar action &  muscle mucscle   about this time last year i think , or the year before , forget now !! but   no magazines any more for me  !!
:-\
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

B5charger

I don't subscribe anymore either.  Love B/E-bodies as much as the next guy but am sick of seeing 100K cars all the time.  I will pick up a mag (usually Muscle Car Review) if there's something interesting in it.  Also need to keep the toilet reading rack stocked... :Twocents:

HPP

Quote from: Brads70 on October 30, 2011, 05:04:29 PM
Seems to me they are really streching to find something new/fresh to write about. I only get one magazine these days( had to cut back) ...after all need something to read in the bathroom? :smilielol:

BINGO!  This is exactly why magazines will exist for sometime to come. You really don't want to mess with a laptop on the toilet, nor can you stick it in your back pocket to take with you to wherever. God forbid in our electronic society that we ever loose power for an extended period of time. People will go friggin nuts.

Funny thing is over the last 50 years, there really aren't any new topics in any of the magazines. Only different ways of approaching the topic and new views of what is cool. I recall a vintage late 50s issue of Hot Rod I used to have where tech articles included things like are 150 mph dragsters too fast for the sport, how to super tune your 283 chevy, porting nail head buicks for power, and of course several obligatory eye candy articles on tricked out cars with wide whites, tuck and roll, and chrome wheels.

Musicman

I like mag's for the vendor info. etc, but when it comes to actually helping folks with anything, I find that most of them are full of shit… Regurgitating manufactures product misinformation is not what I consider to be helpful or responsible behavior… I’ll just leave it at that.

The only one I'm receiving at the moment is MCG...

bull

Quote from: HPP on November 01, 2011, 09:47:52 AM

BINGO!  This is exactly why magazines will exist for sometime to come. You really don't want to mess with a laptop on the toilet, nor can you stick it in your back pocket to take with you to wherever. God forbid in our electronic society that we ever loose power for an extended period of time. People will go friggin nuts.

I've never understood the concept of sitting on the can for 20 minutes with my pants down and a soiled a$$ reading a magazine amid the stench of yeserday's lunch. Why not just wipe your butt and go sit on the couch to read it?

nvrbdn

i still do 2 car mags and 2 camping mags. trailer life is a good magazine for my style of camping.(yes i call this camping). gotta have my magazines. mabey they dont have alot of great stuff in them any more, but hot rod for 9 bucks a year and mopar muscle for 16 bucks a year. gives me a couple minutes of enjoyment every month lookin at the pics.hopefully my 25 bucks a year can help keep a US job for some guy or gal  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Quote from: B5charger on October 31, 2011, 06:07:33 PM
I don't subscribe anymore either.  Love B/E-bodies as much as the next guy but am sick of seeing 100K cars all the time.  I will pick up a mag (usually Muscle Car Review) if there's something interesting in it.  Also need to keep the toilet reading rack stocked... :Twocents:

BINGO!  This is exactly why magazines will exist for sometime to come. You really don't want to mess with a laptop on the toilet, nor can you stick it in your back pocket to take with you to wherever. God forbid in our electronic society that we ever loose power for an extended period of time. People will go friggin nuts.

Funny thing is over the last 50 years, there really aren't any new topics in any of the magazines. Only different ways of approaching the topic and new views of what is cool. I recall a vintage late 50s issue of Hot Rod I used to have where tech articles included things like are 150 mph dragsters too fast for the sport, how to super tune your 283 chevy, porting nail head buicks for power, and of course several obligatory eye candy articles on tricked out cars with wide whites, tuck and roll, and chrome wheels.

still got over 22 years worth  of mopars mags  saved for that reason !!  bathroom reading !!  :yesnod: :lol:!!
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

Fred

Quote from: tan top on November 01, 2011, 05:56:52 PM

still got over 22 years worth  of mopars mags  saved for that reason !!  bathroom reading !!  :yesnod: :lol:!!

WELL.......... it will be a while before we see you again!   :smilielol:

1970Moparmann

I fly a good amount, so I save the mags for the ride.

Mopar Collectors Guide
Hot Rod

I cut back a few years ago.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

tan top

Quote from: Fred on November 01, 2011, 07:13:21 PM

:haha:  :lol:  :yesnod:   :2thumbs:
  thing is i have/had forgotten a lot of stuff that was in the 88 -92ish mags !! so its intresting reading   :yesnod:
i could be sometime  :yesnod: :lol:  :2thumbs:

Charger Stuff 

Fred

Quote from: tan top on November 01, 2011, 07:44:52 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 01, 2011, 07:13:21 PM

:haha:  :lol:  :yesnod:   :2thumbs:
  thing is i have/had forgotten a lot of stuff that was in the 88 -92ish mags !! so its intresting reading   :yesnod:
i could be sometime  :yesnod: :lol:  :2thumbs:

Well I won't hold my breath..............then again maybe I should if you're sitting on the can  :lol: