News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is my coil tapping?

Started by sixpack_sid, October 29, 2011, 12:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm trying to get my 68 Charger running 440BB. I still haven't been able to start it. I had a fuel pump issue which I fixed this morning, but cannot try to start it until 24hrs. I keep running into problems. I was having problems with the dash panel not working so I figured that out thru another post by bypassing the dimmer switch. When I turn the key on, The amp meter shows -10, but I have not been able to start it yet, so I don't know if that is normal. I have all new parts in the fuel system. My fuel gauge was not working, so I disconnected the blue wire from the sending unit. I put my light tester probe in that end and grounded it. The light tester was blinking and the fuel guage needle went to 1/4 tank, which is about how much is in the tank. If the sending unit was bypassed, shouldn't the fuel guage go to full? Also the ground strap seems a little loose, but again-it is brand new, just like the rest of the fuel system. So after seeing the light blinking, when I crawled out from under the car I heard I tapping noise coming from the coil. The key was still on. When I put the light tester on the neg terminal on the battery and the ground on the coil the tapping got very faint. What's going on?? Is this car EVER going to start!! :brickwall:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixpack_sid

Have I been shunned?? Am I out of the club? Did I do something unmanly?? Why is no one responding to my questions?? :icon_smile_blackeye:
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

1970Moparmann

Give more details about it not starting.   Does the starter engage?   Is there fuel getting to the carb?  Do you have spark by the plugs?

What type of electronic ignition do you have?  Check your rotor and wires.    MSD are known to make a noise if this is what you have.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

68neverlate

Quote from: sixpack_sid on November 02, 2011, 07:14:43 AM
Have I been shunned?? Am I out of the club? Did I do something unmanly?? Why is no one responding to my questions?? :icon_smile_blackeye:

:lol:   :lol:

Read your question, just wasn't sure of the exact problem.  If you provide more details, it will help!   :yesnod:   

Chryco Psycho

Yes the blue wire should pulse but when you ground that wire the gauge should swing to full so the gauge maybe reading wrong as the circuit seems to be working , what else is stopping you from starting the car?

sixpack_sid

I replaced the fuel pump and grounded the neg battery cable to the body. It started!! I don't hear the ticking noise in the coil anymore!
I'm still having problems with the gauges in the dash. By the way, the gauges are all original. With the key on, I bypassed the sending unit and hooked up a light tester. The light shows steady and bright UNTIL the fuel gauge starts moving, then the test light starts blinking. The fuel gauge only goes to 1/4 tank. I'm thinking there may be a problem with the gauge. I grounded the tester at 2 different spots.
Also, the oil pressure gauge goes right up all the way to 80 and the Alt gauge moves to -10. The temp gauge stays at 120, but it could be because I didn't leave the car run long enough to warm up. I don't have exhaust on it yet, just open headers.
Is there a way to test the gauge itself to see if it's bad? I know the dimmer switch is bad (also original part) from another test I did by bypassing the switch. Is there a ground behind the dash? I don't remember if there was or not. And I also painted the entire inside of the car, inside firewall & all. I don't remember anything being grounded to the inside firewall...WAIT...maybe the ground to the steering column is not making contact-I painted everything.
Thanks for the replies!!

Chryco Psycho

congrats on getting it started  :2thumbs:
the gauges have a voltage reg attached to the dash , it sends a pulsing voltage to the gauges so that is working correctly , they do not ground behind the dash so I would suspect the gauge is the problem , the ammeter should move to the + side once it is running but maybe the alt is not connected properly yet

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 02, 2011, 11:06:33 PM
congrats on getting it started  :2thumbs:
the gauges have a voltage reg attached to the dash , it sends a pulsing voltage to the gauges so that is working correctly , they do not ground behind the dash so I would suspect the gauge is the problem , the ammeter should move to the + side once it is running but maybe the alt is not connected properly yet

I'm having other issues which are leading me to believe that the alt is giving me problems. The voltage reg is reading 11.47 volts out of the blue and green wires. I was told it should be 14.1-14.5. The box is grounded, when I put a test light on the case, it does light up. I don't see how the alt. could not be connected properly, the blue wire goes to the top of the alt and the green wire goes into the side. Correct??

Chryco Psycho

I assume you have a 70 Charger ?
the regulator should have a blue 12v feed wire & a green alt field ground wire , the reg has to be grounded .
at the alt you have the 10ga output wire usually black , the blue 12v feed wire to the field & the green field ground wire back to the regulator .
if the reg is bad it will not charge properly , also if there is a bad diode or break in the wiring the alt itself could be bad

sixpack_sid

68 Charger, engine is from a 77 New Yorker. I have all new wiring, new Voltage regulator w/triangle plug mounted on firewall. It is grounded. I'm not too worried about the gauges, I'm going to look for aftermarket ones. But I am concerned about the coil tapping. I have no idea what would cause that.
By the way, anyone have pics of the aftermarket gauges hooked up in their Chargers? I would like ideas on gauges to buy!
Thanks!

Chryco Psycho

Well everyone buys Autometer but I am not all that impressed , there is VDO & Stewart Warner , SW has long been a favorite but maybe they are made in China now too .
possibly an internal short in the coil arcing to the case , have you swapped coils ?

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 03, 2011, 05:31:08 PM
Well everyone buys Autometer but I am not all that impressed , there is VDO & Stewart Warner , SW has long been a favorite but maybe they are made in China now too .
possibly an internal short in the coil arcing to the case , have you swapped coils ?

I didn't think of that! Maybe there is a short. I don't have another coil to swap it out. Is there a way to test the coil?

Chryco Psycho

Ohm meter
should be 7k + center terminal to side terminal
just a few ohms side to side , should not short to outer case