News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering isn't

Started by flyinlow, November 07, 2011, 01:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

My original 73 PS pump leaked at the shaft seal. Replaced the seal twice. It would start leaking again in a few months. So I got a rebuilt pump at Car Quest. No leaks (yet) but after the engine is warm it sometimes does not have enough boost when parking. Oval neck Saginaw pump originally (318 car) The new pump is the square sided Saginaw with a 440 now. Most of the time it works fine , just seams at the in gear idle speed of 700 rpm it has trouble keeping up. Belt is tight.  PS fluid full. If you give it a little gas it seams to work better. The original one did the same thing every so often.

Pump? steeringbox?  Normal 40 year old Mopar? 104K on the car , front end is all new except the steering box.

John_Kunkel

If the problem started with the pump change it's logical to assume the pump is weak....only a pressure gauge can tell.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

What kind of pressure should I see?

John_Kunkel

I don't have a FSM for that year but I would expect to see 950-1100 psi.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

flyinlow

John,

I don't have the factory gauge ,so I reinstalled the original pressure hose, then spliced my SSBC brake pressure gauge(0-2500) in with a compression tee.

Zero pressure idling 1000rpm without moving the wheel. 300-500 turning the wheel slowly , higher if you turn the wheel fast,then pegs to 1000 psi at wheel lock. I have 245/60/15 tires on the front.  FSM states 1200-1300 lbs. for .94 Cu.In. Saginaw in a 73 Charger with a 440. FSM said to check the peak pressure with the line caped. I squeezed the hose part shut with a needle nose visegrip. 1000 psi. 

Pressure is a little low. Weak pump?

Craig

flyinlow

Talked to Steer & Gear . They recomended drilling the pump outlet fitting to 9/64'  to improve flow. Tried it and it seams to work in  the garage. Normal assist at idle and peak pressure was 1300 psi at the lock. I will drive it tomorrow and see.

flyinlow