News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you have to drop tank to replace fuel sending unit?

Started by 68charger440, September 04, 2015, 11:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

Do you have to drop the fuel tank to replace fuel sending unit, or is that the only way?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Ghoste

68charger440

I was afraid of that.  I read a bunch of complaints about the replacement sending units.  I saw a couple of reviews of Toms classics replacement sending units that were good so I ordered one of them.
Has anyone here used one of the Tom's Classics sending units?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

303 Mopar

Quote from: 68charger440 on September 04, 2015, 11:32:23 AM
Do you have to drop the fuel tank to replace fuel sending unit, or is that the only way?

No you do not.  I just replaced mine a few weeks ago with a dual line feed for my return line. 

1. Make sure you have almost an empty tank, otherwise it will overflow when you remove your sending unit.
2. Unhook the existing fuel line(s) and harness wire to the fuel gauge.
3. Slide the lock ring to unlock the current sending unit.
3. Remove the old sending unit. Slides out with no clearance issues.
4. Install new sending unit.  There is only one way it will fit without the sock hitting the tank.
5. Hook up the fuel lines and wire.

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

68charger440

Quote from: 303 Mopar on September 04, 2015, 03:14:03 PM
Quote from: 68charger440 on September 04, 2015, 11:32:23 AM

No you do not.  I just replaced mine a few weeks ago with a dual line feed for my return line. 

1. Make sure you have almost an empty tank, otherwise it will overflow when you remove your sending unit.
2. Unhook the existing fuel line(s) and harness wire to the fuel gauge.
3. Slide the lock ring to unlock the current sending unit.
3. Remove the old sending unit. Slides out with no clearance issues.
4. Install new sending unit.  There is only one way it will fit without the sock hitting the tank.
5. Hook up the fuel lines and wire.

Thanks, I went ahead and tried it, but someone had rigged upsome plastic tubing to the old tubing and that is keeping me from getting it all the way out.  I can tell that if that rig wasn't there I could get it out, but I  may have to drop the tank any way just to cut that plastic tube away.  It is blocking the widest part of the sending unit from coming through. :brickwall:

303 Mopar

Quote from: 68charger440 on September 04, 2015, 03:49:52 PM
Thanks, I went ahead and tried it, but someone had rigged upsome plastic tubing to the old tubing and that is keeping me from getting it all the way out.  I can tell that if that rig wasn't there I could get it out, but I  may have to drop the tank any way just to cut that plastic tube away.  It is blocking the widest part of the sending unit from coming through. :brickwall:

Sorry to hear that.  I continue to fix the previous owners creative solutions as well.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible