News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Most likely cause of slow responding and no right side turn signals

Started by WH23G3G, October 21, 2011, 09:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

So I believe I finally got my 73 Charger to where it's safe to move about in the driveway to take my photos for my insurance coverage and finally get a tag. Then I'll be wanting to get it on the street slowly. But I've noticed I got a small issue with the turn signals. When I move the lever the LH side works, but the dash indicators and the bulbs themself respond really slow. However, the right side dash indicator doesn't work at all and neither do the bulbs. The hazard flashers work. It worked when I checked all lighting before I reinstalled the engine about a year ago. Everything else on the car works. I'm pretty sure I put in a new flasher and of course all new bulbs were installed. What's the most likely cause of the signals not working? All the dash wiring is in excellent shape and nothing has been cut.

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

WH23G3G

I know most of the lightining issues I've had with this Charger just sitting in my garage have all been bad ground. I know the tag light randomly comes on and off and when I touch it comes on. I had the hardest time getting it to just come on at all after getting my bumper rechromed. I had to really get the surface clean where the assembly mounts. I was looking through the wiring diagrams to see where the common ground is for the turn signals but I'm not good at finding it. I mean I see the ground for the rear is the one bolted inside the trunk that grounds the whole lighting circuit in the back but I don't know about up front. 

Budnicks

Maybe the old oxidized electrical wiring connector even try a little dab of dielectric grease after cleaning the connections on both sides, with a little brass or stainless wire brush, something you can get down in there... the socket were the bulb itself goes in, could be oxidized... or it could be paint or undercoating etc., under the grounds or on both mating surfaces, is as bad as corrosion sometimes, a star washer under the ground straps will help sometimes... maybe even the main bulkhead connector on the firewall they are notorious for corrosion issues...  Good luck
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Chryco Psycho

are you getting any power out of the turn signal wiring at the base of the column , the switch could be bad & or the contacts dirty , measure the voltage in & the voltage out first

WH23G3G

I'm not sure if anythings wrong now. Everything works fine when the engine is running. The signals work fine no delay at all. Maybe they're not suppose to work when just acc is on.

Chryco Psycho

I would agree the turn signal should only work with the key in run position  ,  the hazard lights bypass all key cicuits & are fed from battery power .

WH23G3G

Ok that was a relief that all the lights, bells, and buzzers work on this Charger. I saw all, but the only one that doesn't work is the reverse lights. I don't know why either. It's got a new neutral switch, new harness, and the linkages are adjusted right. But all the brake lights, headlights, tail lights, side markers, signals all work. That's enough to get it on the road without any problems. Even that seat belt buzzer and light works and it's more annoying than the new cars now because it doesn't go off until you're buckled. But it's suppose to be there, so I'll leave it hooked up.