News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Hood alignment back on the car

Started by WH23G3G, October 27, 2011, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I was wondering if there is an easy way for me to align my hood a little better. It's not off by much but I know it is a little because it scrapes the back of the factory hood pin. The gap between the side of the hood and the fender is just a bit wider on one side but you can't really tell unless you're looking right at it. I know I won't have any help probably but I might be able to find someone to help if needed. It just needs some tweaking to get it right. How do you tell if the hinges are even good?

vancamp

usually if the hinge is bad it will kick up the back of the hood a bit, you can try loosening the bolts on the side thats to far forward and move it back just a little and retighten.

Chryco Psycho

is it possible the fender has been set off to one side a little , the whole front end can be adjusted side to side if the hood seems to be in right

Patronus

I would say, a little bit goes a long ways. Now I've never done a third gen, but with a longer hood its probably even more so... Have you tried getting it close, then loosen the front of the 2 hinge to hood bolts and lift (to bring the corner of the hood down) or down to raise the corner. Just a little will raise and lower the tip of the hood significantly. (up to 3/16") Also as mentioned, look at the pivots as you raise and lower the hood. If there's weird movement in any pivot point, the hinge is done. Then, shell out the $$$ for these:

edit: oops didnt read that right, thought you had a problem with the tips...  :icon_smile_blackeye: my mistake..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

WH23G3G

I guess maybe my hinges are no good then. I think mine sticks up a little in the back but it's hard to notice. It sure does stay up nice though. I still think it needs some adjusting. Maybe it will have to wait until I go to the paint shop. It may have to come off again so they can paint the underside of the hood anyway.