News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking of upgrading my mufflers - suggestions?

Started by Dodge Don, October 25, 2011, 07:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge Don

I have the factory "Hemi" mufflers (2-1/4 i.d.) on my stock H-pipe exhaust and I'm toying with the idea of replacing them with different mufflers.

I'm looking for something that will give me:
- More HP
- More Torque
- Louder (throaty) muscle car sound to drown out my mechanical cam & lifters

440 Six Pack
30 over
Eddy Heads
528 mech. cam
factory HP exhaust manifolds
3.91:1 Sure Grip

Any recommendations? 

Charger-Bodie

I have the Dyno-Max Ultra flows on mine. Its not bad cruising down the road, but has a nice rumble. They really open up when you get after it hard. ZERO drone crusing. I cant stand drone.....
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 25, 2011, 07:40:41 PM
I have the Dyno-Max Ultra flows on mine. Its not bad cruising down the road, but has a nice rumble. They really open up when you get after it hard. ZERO drone crusing. I cant stand drone.....

:2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

Back N Black

I have the same mufflers and love the sound.  :2thumbs:

GreenMachine

I have the Dyno-Max Ultra flows on mine. Its not bad cruising down the road, but has a nice rumble. They really open up when you get after it hard. ZERO drone cruising. I cant stand drone.....

I must be the only one with a drone using the Dynomax Ultraflow welded mufflers. I have them installed with the Pypes 2 1/2" X pipe kit in my '68 Dart. The drone was almost unbearable with the interior out, now that the interior is back in, and with Eastwoods version of Dynamat, it still has an annoying drone at cruise.
  I wasn't that impressed with the sound either, even though all they are are glasspacks with a different shape, almost sounds like a Corvette above idle only louder (could be the X pipe responsible for that). At idle, it's just noise. I'm planning on adding resonators to help with the drone.

On my '70 Charger I had 2 1/2" exhaust without a crossover with Flowmasters dumped at the rear axle. They sounded great at all RPM, had a little drone but was tolerable. I got comments all the time about how good it sounded. It didn't seem to hurt power any like I've read.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

johnnycharger

I have flow masters with 2 1/2" pipe all tell way out the back on mine. I love the sound I wouldn't change it for the world! When I had my car parked for 10 years I missed hearing it as much as driving it. Always gets compliments.  :Twocents:

Charger_Dart

I have DynoMax mufflers on both the Charger & Dart and love the sound. No Drone either.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

Brass

I have the round DynoMax Ultra Flow welded.  These are the ones:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17230/10002/-1

Sounds awesome with manifolds and an H-pipe.  There is a little drone at 1500 rpm but I like that anyway.

Looks like they make a stainless steel for 2.25" also:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17277/10002/-1

And I would love to hear how this bad boy would sound with a 3" pipe:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/24238/10002/-1

firefighter3931

Over the years i've recommended the Ultra Flows to many members and have yet to hear a negative comment. These are true performance mufflers that will enhance power and still sound pleasing....not obnoxious like FlowBastards  :eek2:

Below is a chart with flow specifications and noise (db) levels ; The Ultra Flows do extremely well in both departments  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68r/t

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 27, 2011, 03:32:28 AM
I have the Dyno-Max Ultra flows on mine. Its not bad cruising down the road, but has a nice rumble. They really open up when you get after it hard. ZERO drone cruising. I cant stand drone.....

I must be the only one with a drone using the Dynomax Ultraflow welded mufflers. I have them installed with the Pypes 2 1/2" X pipe kit in my '68 Dart. The drone was almost unbearable with the interior out, now that the interior is back in, and with Eastwoods version of Dynamat, it still has an annoying drone at cruise.
  I wasn't that impressed with the sound either, even though all they are are glasspacks with a different shape, almost sounds like a Corvette above idle only louder (could be the X pipe responsible for that). At idle, it's just noise. I'm planning on adding resonators to help with the drone.

On my '70 Charger I had 2 1/2" exhaust without a crossover with Flowmasters dumped at the rear axle. They sounded great at all RPM, had a little drone but was tolerable. I got comments all the time about how good it sounded. It didn't seem to hurt power any like I've read.

Not the only one, I have them with a tti 2 1/2 inch system and they drone real bad at 2000-2400 rpm under slight load, I ended putting on resonators and that cured the drone.
I don't now if the manifolds cause it over headers  :shruggy:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 68r/t on October 28, 2011, 08:06:42 AM

Not the only one I have them with a tti 2 1/2 inch system and they drone real bad at 2000-2400 rpm under slight load, I ended putting on resonators and that cured the drone.
I don't now it the manifolds cause it over headers  :shruggy:

Do you guys have Ultra-Flows or Super Turbos? I had Dyna-max Super Turbos on My 493 and they were terrible for drone, but the Ultra-Flows were great.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

68r/t

I have the ultra flows, I had a set on a 500 hp chev once  when they were called Race Magnums and they were great no drone  and sounded fantastic.
They sound great on the Charger just the drone was terrible to point were it hurt the ears, the resonators cured that and took a little bit of the bark out of the sound.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 68r/t on October 28, 2011, 08:17:36 AM
I have the ultra flows, I had a set on a 500 hp chev once  when they were called Race Magnums and they were great no drone  and sounded fantastic.
They sound great on the Charger just the drone was terrible to point were it hurt the ears, the resonators cured that and took a little bit of the bark out of the sound.

Must just be a sweet spot in the cam . Just at that right point that they resonate..... Atleast you found a cure. Drone is a terrible thing! It literally angers my blood.

68r/t

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 28, 2011, 08:23:15 AM
Quote from: 68r/t on October 28, 2011, 08:17:36 AM
I have the ultra flows, I had a set on a 500 hp chev once  when they were called Race Magnums and they were great no drone  and sounded fantastic.

Must just be a sweet spot in the cam . Just at that right point that they resonate..... Atleast you found a cure. Drone is a terrible thing! It literally angers my blood.
It does not look good when your driving and your wife has set of ear plugs because of the drone.

Brass

Strange.  My welded (round) Ultra Flos only drone between 1500 to 2K under load.  Nothing to speak of really.  I have manifolds and I think I even have the same cam as 68r/t: Crower 282HDP.

BTW, here is a sample of what mine sounds like.  Not the best recording quality, and it was really loaded up at the time so I had to work to keep it running – but it'll give you an idea.

http://youtu.be/yuQVYGuUOS0

Charger-Bodie

I had flowmasters on my old gold Charger. It droned so bad at cruising speed that I had to slow down and speed up constanyly to avoid exploding my head.

elacruze

The best-sounding car I heard all summer long is my buddy's '69 small-block 406 Dart. It has DynoMax mufflers through 2-1/4 pipes.

I have DynoMax through 3" pipes, and it's not the same at all. I'm thinking of changing my tailpipes to 2-1/2" just to see if I can get it to sound more like his. I'm not pleased with the way this big system sounds-it's not bad, but seems like every exhaust I really love has smaller pipes.

Edit; the car runs mid-11's too.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BSB67

How does the car run?  Ever been to the track?  Sounds like a nice combo.

I have used both Super Turbos and Ultra Flows on 440s and 500s cu.in manifold engines with 3.23s.  I think they are surprisingly quiet.  The Ultras are louder than the Supers, but they both drone in the 1800 to 2200 rpm range under light load.  I find this slightly annoying, but not enough to change.  You can kinda drive around the drone.  I believe that the drone is a function of the manifolds and gear.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

GreenMachine

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 28, 2011, 08:09:50 AM
Quote from: 68r/t on October 28, 2011, 08:06:42 AM

Not the only one I have them with a tti 2 1/2 inch system and they drone real bad at 2000-2400 rpm under slight load, I ended putting on resonators and that cured the drone.
I don't now it the manifolds cause it over headers  :shruggy:

Do you guys have Ultra-Flows or Super Turbos? I had Dyna-max Super Turbos on My 493 and they were terrible for drone, but the Ultra-Flows were great.

I have the UltraFlow Welded, here's a pic of my setup.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

y3chargerrt

I upgraded to the high flow hemi mufflers from Accurate. Slight droaning at 2K but not bad. Nice throaty idle!

68X426

I had Dyna-max Super Turbos on My 493 and they were terrible for drone, but the Ultra-Flows were great.

:Twocents: I have the Super Turbos. There is zero drone and they couldn't be quieter and still breath big. http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo

DynoMax says the Ultra Flows are much less restrictive. But in my hot rodding I get to test the power with open headers (I have Doug's cutouts) and running thru the Super Turbos. I can detect no power loss thru the mufflers. Best of all worlds: super quiet, no drone, and lots of sound at the flip of a switch. I endorse the Super Turbos.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

A buddy of mine has Flowmasters on his Ford and he was complaining this summer about the drone.  I asked him why he didnt switch them out for for something else and was told that "it's irritating as hell but it still sounds cool".
I drive my car to forget about irritants.

MoparMotel

I just put Flowmaster Original 40's on my 68 charger and they have a great sound. They droan a little bit at 1800-2000 but so did my dynomax super turbos that I took off. They sound kind of like the super turbos only have a louder deeper sound.

One thing I am going to do in the near future is to the H pipe and that is suppose to kill some of the droan as well, but again it isnt too bad
1968 Dodge Charger

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: y3chargerrt on October 30, 2011, 07:42:05 AM
I upgraded to the high flow hemi mufflers from Accurate. Slight droaning at 2K but not bad. Nice throaty idle!

I had Accurate's original Hemi mufflers and thought they were too quiet.  Then they came out with their "high flow" Hemi mufflers So I installed them.  Much deeper sound & I get no drone with my set up either.

Now they have a new Stainless magnum Mufflers....was thinking of getting a pair :scratchchin:

http://www.accurateltd.com/Stainless-Magnum-Mufflers_p_304.html

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Hmm, now there's an interesting option I never knew existed.

greymag

I have always figured that the resonators prevented the drone. It seems to be a back-pressure thing. So depending on what cam, header, x-pipe or gear you have determines when you get the drone.
My Charger gets no drone with headers, Magnaflows & full 2 1/2" pipes. My 05 Magnum with cam, headers, muffler delete & 5.7 resonators had no drone. As soon as I switched to 6.1 resonators which flow better, I got drone.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 24, 2011, 08:53:30 PM
Quote from: y3chargerrt on October 30, 2011, 07:42:05 AM

I had Accurate's original Hemi mufflers and thought they were too quiet.  Then they came out with their "high flow" Hemi mufflers So I installed them.  Much deeper sound & I get no drone with my set up either.

Now they have a new Stainless magnum Mufflers....was thinking of getting a pair :scratchchin:

http://www.accurateltd.com/Stainless-Magnum-Mufflers_p_304.html

The Magnum cutaway pic looks exactly like a MagnaFlow. Wouldn't be surprised if that's who's making them for Accurate.  ;)

Nice design but a little quieter than an Ultraflow due to the extra packing inside the case for sound absorption.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Yeahmate

Quote from: 68X426 on November 23, 2011, 02:38:07 AM
I had Dyna-max Super Turbos on My 493 and they were terrible for drone, but the Ultra-Flows were great.

:Twocents: I have the Super Turbos. There is zero drone and they couldn't be quieter and still breath big. http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo

DynoMax says the Ultra Flows are much less restrictive. But in my hot rodding I get to test the power with open headers (I have Doug's cutouts) and running thru the Super Turbos. I can detect no power loss thru the mufflers. Best of all worlds: super quiet, no drone, and lots of sound at the flip of a switch. I endorse the Super Turbos.

Yeah I run Dyno Max Super Turbos (17769) on a twin 3'' H pipe system on the 572 hemi, nice and quiet can hear the stereo playing now, over the 2 1/2'' flow master on the 383, the done would kill me, I loved my car so much  :icon_smile_big: I'd wear ear plugs to take the edge off  the drone  ::)

redmist

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

404NOTFOUND

Hey Don, well, I know you you like the sound of my 40 series Flowmasters with the big cam. I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I've been running wide open exhaust lately. That said, I have to admit that my Flowmasters are so loud that I worry about my hearing. Flowmaster 40 series are seriously, hard core loud on any car which makes for a hard decision. I prefer Flowmaster hands down due to their very thick steel, welded construction with no glass packing that will change over time.  Flowmaster has 44 and 50 series that might suit you better. They would probably have a deeper, smoother tone too. 40 series is for crazy people like me.  :icon_smile_tongue:
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.