News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Been looking at Jeeps "HOLY CRAP" UPDATE "GOT ONE"

Started by vancamp, October 25, 2011, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vancamp

I have managed to end up with 3 Dodge trucks so i had the bright idea i would trade our really nice 98 quad cab for a jeep for me and my son, I wanted a 6 cyl standard trans basic jeep. I have looked at jeeps i wouldnt drag home (or more likely would have to drag home) for around $10,000 to decent but high mileage up to $19,000 been looking at mid 90s to 2004. ok my rant is over guess i will be keeping the truck

TK73

Running into the same thing... had a '95 Rio Grande (4cyl) in '95. Been curious about the YJs and DAMN asking prices are NUTZ

Stopped to look at a Rio Grande a few months back and it was well used, 4k would have been high but the lot wanted 8k
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TheGhost

Jeeps don't seem to drop in value much, especially the wrangler/CJ.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Paul G

Jeeps really hold ther value. Go look on the dealer lot. They are asking ridiculous prices to start with. I picked up my 08 JK from a private seller this spring. Got it for trade in value. I was very lucky to find it. Just keep looking.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

vancamp

Quote from: Paul G on October 25, 2011, 08:27:00 PM
Jeeps really hold ther value. Go look on the dealer lot. They are asking ridiculous prices to start with. I picked up my 08 JK from a private seller this spring. Got it for trade in value. I was very lucky to find it. Just keep looking.
I plan too keep looking, I just either need to sell or trade the extra truck.

Slowpoke

They do hold value well. My daily driver is a 1998 wrangler sahara, gave 13,000 for it in 02. Could have had a 99 short bed ram 4x4 for 8,000.
It was pricy but has held up great, have 160,000 miles on it now.  :2thumbs:
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

johnnycharger

I have a 95 YJ that is my commuter/ daily driver. It is great. 4" lift, 35" mud tires, 8.8 rear axle etc... I highly recommend looking on Craigslist, you can get good deals.
P.s. I wouldn't get a 4cyl. There isn't any gas savings since you will have it floored to go anywhere....

kab69440

Quote from: vancamp on October 25, 2011, 06:49:56 PM
I have managed to end up with 3 Dodge trucks so i had the bright idea i would trade our really nice 98 quad cab for a jeep for me and my son, I wanted a 6 cyl standard trans basic jeep. I have looked at jeeps i wouldnt drag home (or more likely would have to drag home) for around $10,000 to decent but high mileage up to $19,000 been looking at mid 90s to 2004. ok my rant is over guess i will be keeping the truck

There's a young girl working a McD's window south of Delaware who wanted to trade her Wrangler for my stupid 92 Camaro. Cryin' shame I can't get my big axx under the rollbar, or get the seat to go back far enough to get my legs under the steering wheel.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Cooter

The 4.0 liter straight 6 and stick shift is an all but "Bulletproof" combo and people with Jeeps know it. This is why they refuse to sell cheap.

By the time you get a "good deal" on a Jeep, it is usually something liek a Grand Cherokee that has been either wrecked all to hell, or has a 318/360 in it.
The 6cyl Japanese automatic was a good set up, however the "Chrysler" auto sucked for reliability.

Bout the only thing that isn't really all that great under the Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler is the cheezy front and rear diffs.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

41husk

I remember back in the 80s a Jeep was a low budget vehicle.  They did not come with all the bells and whistles back then.  Infact they drove like a Jeep :nana:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Stretch

The dana 35's are the fuse on them.

Here is a pic of my brothers daily driver. He built it from the ground up. It's all steel with dana 44's front and rear. I could post a link to the build if anyone is interested.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

PocketThunder

A nice TJ with low miles will be over $10,000 all day long.  I had a 97 and bought it with 69,000 miles for $13,600 back in 99 and i sold it with 160,000 miles in 2004 for $7000.  Today that same Jeep with the same miles on it is still $7000.  God i miss my Jeep....  :'( :'(
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

71charger_fan

We looked at a used '10 on the Ford dealer's lot. We quickly realized they were asking full new Jeep sticker. So, we went to the Jeep dealer and bought a better model, brand new '10 for about the same money and got zero percent financing. Someone bought that Wrangler from the Ford lot.

vancamp

Quote from: Stretch on October 26, 2011, 07:30:08 AM

Here is a pic of my brothers daily driver. He built it from the ground up. It's all steel with dana 44's front and rear. I could post a link to the build if anyone is interested.
Thats a good looking jeep I would like to see a few more pics of it.

472 R/T SE

I see those new 4 door rigs all over the place.

Stretch

Quote from: vancamp on October 26, 2011, 07:10:09 PM
Quote from: Stretch on October 26, 2011, 07:30:08 AM

Thats a good looking jeep I would like to see a few more pics of it.

This is a link to the build thread. There are about 40 pages with loads of pics.

http://upjeeping.informe.com/forum/build-threads-f11/wheel-base-extension-and-d44-9-install-in-tj-t653.html

b5blue

Take a look at Cherokee's as an option. I was looking for a hard top CJ or TJ with no luck for what I wanted to pay. When my buddy decided to sell his XJ Cherokee the more I looked into it the better it got. On the forum NAXJA I found a really good group of guys (Like here!) willing to help work through repairs and advise when needed. There much better priced and just as rugged, there are TONS of upgrades and modifications that can be done and parts are reasonably priced. 

vancamp

well I traded in the 98 on a 2004 4.0 6cyl. 5 speed with 42,000 miles it looks like it was a street driven on jeep not even a dirt stain on the underside very clean inside its a sahara version with half doors

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Stretch

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

twodko

I'm an offroad, four wheeling snob. If it's not a CJ5 or a CJ7, or earlier, It's not a jeep. Real jeeps have round headlights. With this said those new 4 door "Rubicon" models are damned nice. I've run the Rubicon trail several times but never made it to some of the great trails in Utah.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

71bee

We've always had a Jeep in the garage. we've owned CJ's, YJ's, TJ's (prefered) & I had a real nice XJ @ one time. always go with the 4.0 as no other engine compares. the wife absolutely LOVES her new JK Unlimited! to bad it will most likely never see anything but pavement.  :-\

No matter what you decide on, just make sure that you snag one with the Dana 44. the 30's & 35's are junk for wheelin'.

Here's the wifes new mall crawler after I "blinged" it up & threw a 2.5" lift on it:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 71bee on October 31, 2011, 01:19:12 PM
We've always had a Jeep in the garage. we've owned CJ's, YJ's, TJ's (prefered) & I had a real nice XJ @ one time. always go with the 4.0 as no other engine compares. the wife absolutely LOVES her new JK Unlimited! to bad it will most likely never see anything but pavement.  :-\

No matter what you decide on, just make sure that you snag one with the Dana 44. the 30's & 35's are junk for wheelin'.

Here's the wifes new mall crawler after I "blinged" it up & threw a 2.5" lift on it:

Nice truck but that pic makes it look like its "floating" & not even touching the ground!!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

71bee

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 31, 2011, 03:39:44 PMNice truck but that pic makes it look like its "floating" & not even touching the ground!!!

LOL! it does actually.