News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What kind of fighter plane is this?

Started by TruckDriver, October 21, 2011, 08:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I took this at the Sheboygan County airport today where we were doing some paving. I think it's cool how they got it in the air.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

:o
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

learical1

Looks like a Lockheed T-33 (2 seat trainer version of the P-80 fighter) without the wingtip tanks.
Bruce

BigBlackDodge

F-80

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-80_Shooting_Star

BBD

edit:

Looks like a Lockheed T-33 (2 seat trainer version of the P-80 fighter) without the wingtip tanks.

Yep............two seats t-33 :icon_smile_cool:

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

learical1

Canopy looks too big for a P-80, more likely the 2 seat T-33 trainer variant.
Bruce

A383Wing

Budnicks

Quote from: learical1 on October 21, 2011, 08:53:18 PM
:2thumbs: That's what I was going to say a T-33 trainer,   :shruggy: maybe
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

John_Kunkel

The canopy makes it a T-33, I wrenched on a few.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

MoparManJim

I'm not sure, but it's a plane with a pole stuck up it's butt  :smilielol:

b5blue

John is right (again) the T is for Trainer hence room for teacher and trainee in a longer canopy. I had the honor of clearing a Shooting Star to land at Lackland AFB back in 77, she was gorgeous even taxing on the ramps. (We even had a vintage 1955 B-52 still in service, on the flight-line, combat ready to haul nukes.)

hemi68charger

Quote from: b5blue on October 22, 2011, 10:14:58 PM
John is right (again) the T is for Trainer hence room for teacher and trainee in a longer canopy. I had the honor of clearing a Shooting Star to land at Lackland AFB back in 77, she was gorgeous even taxing on the ramps. (We even had a vintage 1955 B-52 still in service, on the flight-line, combat ready to haul nukes.)

Ahhhhh, my first-now-I-reflect-glory-days of working on B-52s and loading those nucs back in '87....... Static displays are cool.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

John_Kunkel

It was a kick watching novice pilots try to taxi the T-33, there is no nose gear steering so they had to turn with differential braking and the engine is really slow to spool up when given throttle so they would loose momentum in mid turn and have to give it a lot of throttle to get moving again...the jet blast would send ground equipment flying in every direction. DUCK!!!
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

:smilielol: The one I handled, I "broke regulations" to comment I couldn't believe my eyes and how beautiful as it was buffed to perfection. The pilot replied like a proud poppa: She's my baby!  :cheers: I'd always hoped to run across an F-86 also but never did.

Patronus

SheVega$! thats my ol stompin ground..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Budnicks

Quote from: b5blue on October 23, 2011, 07:20:02 PM
:smilielol: The one I handled, I "broke regulations" to comment I couldn't believe my eyes and how beautiful as it was buffed to perfection. The pilot replied like a proud poppa: She's my baby!  :cheers: I'd always hoped to run across an F-86 also but never did.
I'm by far no plane expert, the F-85 & F-86 were the Korean war era "Banshee" weren't they ?  an old friend of mine had a couple F-85 jet engines in his & his wife's, 2 jet cars is the only reason I think I remember that, one of my sisters, a brother in law & my oldest nephew were in the Air Force & I visited them at McConnell AFB in Wichita, Kansas & Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska I got to do the flight line inspection with my nephew, I got to see a bunch of very cool fighters & trainers back then, my favorite was the F-15's they looked bad a$$ & so huge up close...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

TruckDriver

Thanks for everyones input. Very interesting reading all your posts  :2thumbs:
PETE

b5blue

Thanks for posting this topic and pics!  :2thumbs: The F-86 was in Korea and it's battles with the MIG's are the stuff of legends in air combat now. 

gtx6970

A383Wing

maybe it could be Jeff Dunham's new puppet

"Fighter Plane....on a stick"

:smilielol:

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Budnicks on October 23, 2011, 09:03:11 PM
Quote from: b5blue on October 23, 2011, 07:20:02 PM
I'm by far no plane expert, the F-85 & F-86 were the Korean war era "Banshee" weren't they ?  an old friend of mine had a couple F-85 jet engines in his & his wife's, 2 jet cars is the only reason I think I remember that, one of my sisters, a brother in law & my oldest nephew were in the Air Force & I visited them at McConnell AFB in Wichita, Kansas & Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, Alaska I got to do the flight line inspection with my nephew, I got to see a bunch of very cool fighters & trainers back then, my favorite was the F-15's they looked bad a$$ & so huge up close...

Banshee's were aircraft carrier launched ASW jets. The first of their kind.
The T-33 was a trainer of the same era, single engine, centrifugal turbine (a very rudimentary jet engine design).

In the Canadian Air Force, we flew these jets for over 50 years! Right up to 2005.
At the end, we were robbing parts off of the display jets in museums and on poles just like this one, just to keep it going.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Aero426

Well at least I know that it's not an Avro Arrow.   :yesnod:

68neverlate

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 25, 2011, 10:37:06 AM

Banshee's were aircraft carrier launched ASW jets. The first of their kind.
The T-33 was a trainer of the same era, single engine, centrifugal turbine (a very rudimentary jet engine design).

In the Canadian Air Force, we flew these jets for over 50 years! Right up to 2005.
At the end, we were robbing parts off of the display jets in museums and on poles just like this one, just to keep it going.

I remember seeing these flying overhead for many years in my home town up here in the great white north when I was a kid.  They had the wingtip tanks painted in a florescent orange... very distinguishable!