News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new Challenger has a boo boo

Started by ChgrSteve67, October 21, 2011, 07:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

Well it started off to be a good day.

I had a remote training class to attend this morning so I drove into work around 6:30 and parked up in front which I normally never do. Well I guess this person had not had thier morning cup of coffee and after dropping her husband off at work decided to plow into my Challenger.

The story she gave me and the insurrance company is that she sneezed and hit my car.

Here car suffered almost no damage, she got me with the license plate and just missed the bumper itself busting the plastic and sheetmetal up.

From what I can tell she did not hit the tire or front suspension so it should just be a cosmetic repair.

-Steve

Slowpoke

68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

vancamp

Quote from: Slowpoke on October 21, 2011, 07:55:32 PM
must have been some sneeze.  :ahum:
I'll say it was, looks like a fairly easy fix though.

68X426

Quote from: Slowpoke on October 21, 2011, 07:55:32 PM
must have been some sneeze.  :ahum:

Sorry to hear about this.  :'(

:sarcasmalert:  Maybe Marie enters the Under Construction class at the show Sunday? Just trying to take it keep it light.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

A383Wing

Charger-Bodie

I once had to fix a cop car,because the officer had a sneezing fit and drove into a yard. He proceeded to rear end a plymouth Horizon so hard that it would have needed a rear clip to save it. The police cruiser sustained pretty heavy front end damage aswell.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Rolling_Thunder

well  -  if its one of those sneezes that require to close ur eyes and tilt you head back i could believe that...      its not like she's making shit up like "ur car just appeared" or something...      she probably did just sneeze....             

Its only a car -  parts are plentiful, and it's just bolt on stuff...    nothing structural.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tatrick2me

:eek2: Only problem is, your car will show up as having been wrecked, in every car check web sit on the planet. It kills the value because they don't report how minor or bad it was wrecked. :Twocents:
Bone 7

Budnicks

That sucks, bad day  :brickwall:, my condolences  :shruggy:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

41husk

lots of plastic on the new challenger, no repairing panels any more just replace.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

So she didn't consider maybe stepping on the brakes while dealing with her bodily functions?

ChgrSteve67

Maybe I should put a bandaid on it.

The funny part is I was not able to find the headlight souround. It vanished. I looked in the bumper, around the headlight and around the car in the parking light and its just gone.  Not even a single piece of it. It goes around the headlight on the outside of the grill and pops out not in.

Do you think she took it as a trophy?

Troy

That's why I have a cheap "throw away" car for a daily driver. It was hit/bumped 3 times in the first 53 weeks that I had it. I sold my nicer vehicle to keep from getting it torn up (2 years, 3 parking lot incidents, 2 bumper dents from me backing up my trailer too far, and 1 chin spoiler due to a slow raccoon). Yes, they can be fixed but it's a real pain in the butt! The person who does the hitting generally just makes a call to the insurance and they're done. If you can't control a 2 ton missile at all times then you shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TexasStroker

Man that sucks...it is simple, but there are a lot of parts that most folks don't account for on the late model Challys.  A girl in our club hit a deer and had to have the front reworked...the body shop did a great job, but there are a TON of parts.  I think your Chally will clean up just fine, but it sure sucks it happened and you'll be without it for awhile.  Very nice car, I like the Toxic Orange.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Cooter

And somne people wonder why I don't condone Daily driving an antique musclecar.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

That is such a shame Steve, I'm sorry to see that. Sure parts are plentiful but its a brand new car! Boy, I would have been fried. Glad it's not worse.
I'm of the same mind as Cooter....... We drive our Charger whenever we can but never as a daily driver.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Cooter on October 22, 2011, 09:51:22 AM
And somne people wonder why I don't condone Daily driving an antique musclecar.....

EXACTLY!   Stupid shit like this can happen very easy! In a parking stall and gets hit due to a sneeze.    It was probably a texting sneeze but we will never know.

Todd

Silver R/T

At least she stayed and didn't drive off like bunch of other drivers would
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChgrSteve67

Here are a couple pictures of the parking lot and her projected travel path after dropping her husband off.
If anything I would have bet on getting backed into not hot by someone going forward and sneezing.

I don't mean to dwell on it but.....

68coronetGLwannabe

Thats a bummer Steve. Not to make light of your situation but a sneeze can be dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--KOLPD_lU
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Silver R/T

Some people should not be driving. I cannot count how many times I've been cut off by grandmas to a point I had to lock up brakes.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChgrSteve67

Talked with the collision center today and I should get my Challenger back tomorrow.

They found a few other parts that needed to be replaced and had to order them so it took a few extra days.

I asked them the cost to repair my car and it came in a $4,777.88

Good thing there was not any structural damage, I would hate to see that price tag.

-Steve

Chatt69chgr

Doesn't hardly seem possible that something like that would cost that much does it!

Road Dog

Sorry to see that. Just cars though. Can be fixed.  :yesnod:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

ChgrSteve67

Going over the itemized bill it was $2,500 is parts and material, $1,800 in labor and $500 in tax.

They literally replaced the whole front end of the car short of the spoiler and fog lights.
The grill alone was $700

The car looks good but there is one item I not too sure about.

I may take a picture and post it and have one of the Challenger owners here check it out for me.
Its a very small issue.

-Steve

Road Dog

Dino

Unreal, I cannot believe how the cost of bodywork has skyrocketed.  I did bodywork for near 20 years and for that amount you got a lot of work done.  I was shocked when I heard that hourly wages for mechanics were nearing $100.  I have an Accord with a dent in the front fender and scrapes on the bumper, I went in for an estimate and was quoted $1200, I laughed cuase I though he was joking, he wasn't....

I took the dent out myself, fixed the bumper and put it all in primer ready to sand, mask and paint and they still quoted me $600.....effin insane.  I'll paint the damn thing myself.

There shouldn't be any issues after repair.  I'll gladly take a look at it when you post pics.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ChgrSteve67

Ok here are some pics and my question

Are these air vents for the headlights or is the molding supose to seal the hood all the way across.

ChgrSteve67

Two more

Road Dog

ChgrSteve67

Thanks for looking, I feel a lot better about it now.

I'm thinking its a air relief for the head lights.
High speed, Low drag.

SRT-68

I hate people like that, thank God there wasn't a mother and kids in the lot. If you have any event or sneeze or whatever you get on the brakes. Just stupid.

Road Dog

Here's a pic.

ChgrSteve67

ChgrSteve67

Question for you Road Dog

What year is your Challenger?

chrisII

My 2000 van that i use to haul my PA and lighting got smoked 2 weeks ago. parked on a straight flat wide street in front of my house. shoved the fully loaded maxi high top wheel chair van 3 feet...she blacked out..not sure what i think of that, But I made a killing on it! so im not so mad lol.
   sorry to see your Chally got hit, but Im happy its all fixed

Bobs69

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 21, 2011, 11:19:06 PM
Maybe I should put a bandaid on it.

The funny part is I was not able to find the headlight souround. It vanished. I looked in the bumper, around the headlight and around the car in the parking light and its just gone.  Not even a single piece of it. It goes around the headlight on the outside of the grill and pops out not in.

Do you think she took it as a trophy?

OF COURSE SHE DID!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 21, 2011, 09:05:33 PM
...  its not like she's making shit up like "ur car just appeared" or something... 
my favourite one was "an invisible car appeared out of nowhere, hit me, then disappeared"
:rofl:

ChgrSteve67

My favorite one was a guy in a toyota truck that ran into a house that was being moved down the middle of the street told the police that he didn't see it.