News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project Rockers Under Glass (progress pic added-done)

Started by oldcarnut, October 21, 2011, 12:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

http://store.440source.com/Cast-Aluminum-Valve-Covers-FULLY-POLISHED-Pair/productinfo/200-1119/

I'm contimplating buying these covers to modify into a 2 piece cover with a clear top.  They'll be going on Stealth heads with Crane Gold rocker assys.  Kim told me they measure 3.25" tall but couldn't promiss they would clear everything without some clearancing.  He really didn't think I can do what I want to try but I'll take the chance if I can hear from anyone that knows if there are any fit problems. The engine isn't built yet but I can work this project in a different place to get ready for it.  Soooooo  :scratchchin:,  any comments?

Musicman

Quote from: oldcarnut on October 21, 2011, 12:07:17 PM
I'm contimplating buying these covers to modify into a 2 piece cover with a clear top.  They'll be going on Stealth heads with Crane Gold rocker assys.  Kim told me they measure 3.25" tall but couldn't promiss they would clear everything without some clearancing. 

If there designed to work with their heads and their valve train components, as well as other aftermarket heads, what are they concerned about? Why should there be clearance issues, is it something your doing that worries them? :shruggy:

Your a smart guy, I know you'll get it done one way or another, and it will look outstanding when your finished :2thumbs:

GPULLER

Quote from: Musicman on October 21, 2011, 02:44:35 PM

If there designed to work with their heads and their valve train components, as well as other aftermarket heads, what are they concerned about? Why should there be clearance issues, is it something your doing that worries them? :shruggy:

Your a smart guy, I know you'll get it done one way or another, and it will look outstanding when your finished :2thumbs:

Excuse me sir pardon my interrupting....shouldn't you be working on your Charger?

oldcarnut

I think they are just aftermarket cast covers for most heads not just designed for their heads. I don't think there would be a big concern about stock valve trains but he said that because of casting shifts or something like that? that some people with roller setups and higher lifts etc may have to grind off some areas that may rub depending on the head.  I didn't quite understand that because I thought that they should all be the same and not vary but I'm just a rookie   :shruggy: so I depend on you guys for help sometimes   :yesnod:   Anyway they have the only ones I've seen with a flat top like that.  I can fit them in at work over time to experiment with.

Musicman

Dave

I don't know if this will help you out or not, but I mounted a 1.6 ratio Crane Gold Race on a 452 head and threw a couple of reference measurements in there for ya. I'm running a set from Hughes on my Stealth heads at the moment, but I figured the 452 should suffice as a similar example... either way, I don't really see a 1.4" swing radius as being a problem. :shruggy:

Hope this helps you out a little anyway...

Quote from: GPULLER on October 21, 2011, 02:46:55 PM
Excuse me sir pardon my interrupting....shouldn't you be working on your Charger?

Yes, I know Reed... I'm on it... just finishing up that "Honey-Do-List" that has been building for the last 3 years that I was away... I'm almost there!
I still have 5 minute breaks here and there to help out a guy like Dave.

oldcarnut

Great pic there Mike  :2thumbs:.  Just what I was needing.  I'm going to order a set and get a little creative.  In my head I can see it and it's going to be something different from everyone else. Kinda like because it's there waiting to be done.  Hope it turns out functional once I'm finished.  Just got to figure whether I run a vented or pvc system depending on which one is better for a street car.

Musicman

I think it'll look great as a display piece, but once the engine fires up and the oil starts to fly, I don't know what it's going to look like... I guess we'll find out eh! :lol:

Don't forget to post them progress shots!

Quote from: oldcarnut on October 22, 2011, 09:19:06 AM
Just got to figure whether I run a vented or pvc system depending on which one is better for a street car.

I think it's more of a personal preference really... Myself, I don't care much for Emissions add on's so I run vented systems. I don't mind cleaning or replacing a filter every now and again if needed.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Musicman on October 22, 2011, 09:58:47 AM
I think it'll look great as a display piece, but once the engine fires up and the oil starts to fly, I don't know what it's going to look like... I guess we'll find out eh! :lol:

Don't forget to post them progress shots!
I quit guessing when the day comes and the engine gets fired up  ::).  Every time I see a time to put it together something else comes up.  Dropped the tank on the 68 Convertible this morning to replace the sending unit and next is the wiper switch so the wife can start driving it more often.  Off to work now.  I don't know what it will look like either but that was part of the idea to watch it working  ;D

Musicman

Speaking of... This is the Hughes set on my Stealth Heads... Not as pretty as the Golds, but it would still be pretty cool to see them running... "ROCKERS UNDER GLASS:lol:

I think I'm going to use the Golds on my 383 rebuild this winter. I'm dropping that one in my daughters 85 D-100.

Keep us posted brother!

:cheers:

oldcarnut

Got the covers in today and will start planning it out as I get time.  Here's a few pics and I hope they'll work.  They look nice as they are so its either the before I ruined them pics or made them into something unique pics  :lol:.  There is no lip on the underside as some cast covers for the gasket and that's not shown on the website.  Initially I didn't notice any clearance issues.  I thought your title was catchy so I adopted it  ;)

redmist

Man that would be simple work on our VF-3SS... Just mill a window, cut an O-ring groove, and tap some holes! May have to look into this project also.  :cheers:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Musicman

Quote from: oldcarnut on October 28, 2011, 12:05:08 PM
There is no lip on the underside as some cast covers for the gasket and that's not shown on the website. 

I know it doesn't really matter, but it does seem rather odd when your use to having a lip there. :scratchchin:

Bob T

Interesting idea Oldcarnut, keen to see what the outcome will be.

I used to do work for a sign company that made acrylic/perspex signs including big service station Shell logos and Burger King button signs and lots of other stuff. They would make a buck/pattern out of MDF ( customwood composite ) raised up on a bed with a vaccuum pump and hoses coupled to a manifold . These would have multiple intakes on the buck coming up from underneath the bed and be flush fitted with the surface of the buck.
When the acrylic sheet was heated up in the oven and then lowered onto the buck , the vaccuum pumps would engage and form the shape and run until it cooled.

With the ali covers that you have it might be possible to make a reverse mould out of them and turn it into a buck and make complete covers out of 5mm acrylic instead of a window.
A lot of work for a lot of result, just an idea

Off on a tangent with the pic here for Musicman  ;D
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

oldcarnut

Quote from: redmist on October 28, 2011, 08:06:11 PM
Man that would be simple work on our VF-3SS... Just mill a window, cut an O-ring groove, and tap some holes! May have to look into this project also.  :cheers:
It would be nice to have a CNC mill to program a pattern cut  :yesnod: but I'll have to stick with the manual feed Bridgeport I have free access to.  I haven't finalized how I'm going to do it yet as the ideas keep evolving but if you try it out just piggy back on this thread with some pics of yours.

Quote from: Musicman on October 29, 2011, 01:45:15 PM
I know it doesn't really matter, but it does seem rather odd when your use to having a lip there. :scratchchin:
Reckon I was just used to having a lip as this is the first set I've had without one but I'm not using rubber gaskets so your right that it wouldn't really matter.
Quote from: Bob T on October 29, 2011, 02:06:35 PM
With the ali covers that you have it might be possible to make a reverse mould out of them and turn it into a buck and make complete covers out of 5mm acrylic instead of a window. A lot of work for a lot of result, just an idea
Cool guitar there Bob.  Got a little done last night when things got slow. I have to sneak this project in a little at the time under the radar. That buck process sounds like something somebody who wanted to make a run of covers could do though.  I've seen a few pics on SB Chevy's with the total clear covers.  Maybe they were made that way  :scratchchin:

Musicman

Quote from: Bob T on October 29, 2011, 02:06:35 PM
Off on a tangent with the pic here for Musicman  ;D

Cool shot of the Acrylic LP Bob :icon_smile_big:
I remember there was quite a trend for Acrylic bodies at one time. Some of them even had battery operated internal lighting effects as I recall :scratchchin:

:cheers:

Musicman

Hey Dave

Do you plan to use Valve Cover Studs in the heads, or are you going with standard bolts?

oldcarnut

Almost finished my inside under support template.  Here's basically what I'm going to try in the pic.  I threw it together on a powerpoint drawing and its not to scale but shows the intention.  I'll be using some very tuff scratch resistant lexan margard.  I'll cut about a 2 3/8" X 18" rectangular section out the vlv cvr top  :hack:.  It seems about the largest I can do and keep a sealing area. The lexan is 3/8" thick.  A 1/4" step around the lexan perimeter so that 1/8" is under the mat'l left on the cvr top, 1/8" for passing through the casting thickness, and 1/8" above the top.  I also will make a steel 14-16 gauge backing plate to go under the lexan and around the perimeter of the cover to support either using studs and maybe acorn nuts or countersinking bolts in the cover 8ea.  I'm still thinking about the seal whether I cut an oring groove or use something else.  The slanted lines are refering to the recesses already in the cover for bolting to the head.  Mike I haven't thought that far ahead about using bolts or studs to attach to the head. 

oldcarnut

Just a little progress update.  I've cut the covers and most all my pieces .  Some variation from posted print. Still have to finish off one clear cover. So far I'm happy with how they're turning out.  Can't take pictures yet but will after I get them home.  I left the top smooth to the valve cover instead of raised.  I need to decide the PVC vs the breather route and cut the tops to fit.  I've read several thread debates in favor of either and its a toss up.  I'm leaning toward just breathers,one on each side.  Something like these without Logos I can make a tall stack with baffle and push in. http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/68813/10002/-1
Has anyone that has used just this style breather long term without a PVC run into any issues with them? I saw them in different filter diameters.  Naturally I'd like to use 2" instead of a 3" but is bigger any better or overkill in this case?

oldcarnut

They're still needing some work and not home but here's a little progress pic.  From the bottom of pic up is the steel backing plate for under the window.  I plan on welding the nuts which is why they are bolted in place. Don't want anything coming loose inside  :eek2:. Next is the cut Lexan to fit the opening in the valve cover on top.  I cut a rubber/cork gasket to seal it.  Maybe next week I can get some time in for more completion.

Musicman

oldcarnut

Ok done for now.  Decided to add the breathers and oil filler after engine is assembled so I can get a better idea of where they'll best fit.

BSB67

Looks nice.  Make sure that you use ny-lock nuts.  Where does the breather and PCV valve go?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

oldcarnut

Quote from: BSB67 on December 01, 2011, 06:50:31 AM
Looks nice.  Make sure that you use ny-lock nuts.  Where does the breather and PCV valve go?
Thanks for the compliments.  Wasn't able to use nylocks because the nuts were welded in place on the backing plate and they would probably have melted. If needed I'll just have to use a thread sealer.  I'm thinking about running a crossover tube across the back something like this except with a better looking connection.  Probably will use one breather that functions as the oil fill opening as well.  I'm going to wait though untill I get my engine put togethor and in the car so I can make sure of a good fit and function.

Back N Black