News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

226 stamping on my 8 3/4?

Started by bull, October 20, 2011, 03:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

There was a yellow ink stamping on my axle housing before I had it blasted and I'm wondering what it means and if it really is a 226 I'm seeing in this pic.

FLG

Looks like 225? (straight line at the top)

bull

Yea, I was just thinking that as I stared at the picture. That or 223 with a flat top 3. :shruggy:

FLG

y3chargerrt

From Roger Gibson's website. http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/product_review.htm. Check out the rear end detail section. Good info there.

1968 GTX - Rear end assembly code #244; 3.23 Sure-Grip
Manual Drum Brakes
Build 11-14-67

bull

Quote from: y3chargerrt on October 20, 2011, 06:38:39 AM
From Roger Gibson's website. http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/product_review.htm. Check out the rear end detail section. Good info there.

1968 GTX - Rear end assembly code #244; 3.23 Sure-Grip
Manual Drum Brakes
Build 11-14-67

Mine was originally an A4-3.23 axle too but it was open, not a Sure Grip. Maybe 244 would be right for mine based on that information but that does not look like a 244 on the above pic.

UFO

Don't recall if you mentioned it or not,do you have the broadcast sheet?
There will be some numbers under the axle section.
Possibly the date it was assembled?
Could be the assembler had a little time to practice his/her stamping abilities.
Sometimes they match up with the parts book.(not in the '68 I have).
They are revisions to the books as production goes on so it's not always that easy.

maxwellwedge

gtx6970

not 100% but I think it's the last 3 digits of the pt # for the rear axle assy
such as brakes size, gear ratio, sure grip or not, etc etc

Alaskan_TA

bull

Quote from: UFO on October 20, 2011, 04:08:22 PM
Don't recall if you mentioned it or not,do you have the broadcast sheet?
There will be some numbers under the axle section.
Possibly the date it was assembled?
Could be the assembler had a little time to practice his/her stamping abilities.
Sometimes they match up with the parts book.(not in the '68 I have).
They are revisions to the books as production goes on so it's not always that easy.

No build sheet but I know the build date: Jan. 8, 68. That's the car's build date though. Do you mean the build date of the axle itself? I emailed Roger Gibson about it but he says he doesn't have any records for 68, even though he posted that reference pic that is linked above. :shruggy:

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 20, 2011, 04:33:22 PM
What rear brakes? 10" or 11" ?

When I get home tonight I'll measure the drums but I'm thinking they are 11".

maxwellwedge

The only axle in 68 that started with a 22x is 2.76 Sure Grip with 10" brakes.  (227)

If you think yours was a 3.23 non-sure grip with 11" drums the number would be 242

They have been wrong before - My 68 Swinger has 2 sets of numbers stamped on the axle - Sure-Grip and non!

The white (top right on the axle) is the assembly date.

bull

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 20, 2011, 09:11:30 PM
The only axle in 68 that started with a 22x is 2.76 Sure Grip with 10" brakes.  (227)

If you think yours was a 3.23 non-sure grip with 11" drums the number would be 242

They have been wrong before - My 68 Swinger has 2 sets of numbers stamped on the axle - Sure-Grip and non!

What if it's 3.23 open with 10" brakes?

bull

Just measured the rear drums: 10 inch.

maxwellwedge

I have the info at home....will post later.

10" rear drums - does that mean you have discs up front? It would on an R/T - not sure if a 383 '68 came standard with 10" drums all around.

bull

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 21, 2011, 07:25:27 AM
I have the info at home....will post later.

10" rear drums - does that mean you have discs up front? It would on an R/T - not sure if a 383 '68 came standard with 10" drums all around.

No, it had drums in front until I converted it to discs. I can measure those too if it will help.

gtx6970

I think 11" drum brakes are heavy duty suspension only. and the only other avail rear brakes are 10"????????????

maxwellwedge

Yup - Non R/T were 10" drums all around standard.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bull on October 20, 2011, 11:03:18 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 20, 2011, 09:11:30 PM

What if it's 3.23 open with 10" brakes?

Then it should be stamped  237

With Sure Grip   239

Mick70RR

Try taking a few more pictures of that number with and without flash. It may become clear what the number is.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

bull

Quote from: Mick70RR on October 21, 2011, 05:18:22 PM
Try taking a few more pictures of that number with and without flash. It may become clear what the number is.

I would but it's gone now. The axle was sandblasted a few weeks ago.

bull

Found a couple more pictures. They're upside down but it still looks like 225 or 226. :shruggy: :brickwall:

bull

Is there a fender tag code that tells you if the diff was open or Sure Grip? I know that in the 2nd line I have A4-3.23 which tells me the ratio but is that it? I don't have a broadcast sheet.

bull

maxwellwedge

Hey Bull - I think you PM'd me on that and I answered. I'll see if I saved it.

Yup - Here it is....

Bull,

On the A X part of the tag - The 4 under the A = 3.23

If there is an 8 under the X it is Sure Grip

Cheers