News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage floors

Started by Topher, October 19, 2011, 10:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topher

I didn't want to de-rail the garage thread.

I noticed that some of you have the inter-locking floors in your garage-how well does it hold up to jacks, and stands, and general working?

Same goes for the epoxied floors-how well do they hold up?
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have used a floor jack several times to jack the car up with no troubles on my Race Deck tiles.  Using stands under the car I placed wood under the stands so the sharp edges dont pierce/mark up the tiles.

If one were to get damaged its easy to replace a tile if necessary...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Old Moparz

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 20, 2011, 05:37:25 AM

I have used a floor jack several times to jack the car up with no troubles on my Race Deck tiles.  Using stands under the car I placed wood under the stands so the sharp edges dont pierce/mark up the tiles.

If one were to get damaged its easy to replace a tile if necessary...

Chris, I remember seeing the pics you posted & they look good, but do you notice any advantage to using them over just a concrete floor, like preventing the floor from being slippery?   :shruggy:

Depending on what shoes I have on, a little bit of water on my concrete floor makes it pretty slick.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bill440rt

I used a two-part epoxy garage floor paint system from Rust-o-Leum, got it at the local Home Depot. It was inexpensive, & it fit my garage re-model budget at the time. It also comes with colored flakes, which helps prevent it being slippery when it's wet.
It's been on there 9 years or so, and has held up OK. There are a few spots where it flaked off that I have to touch up now, but the floor was a mess beforehand. I degreased the snot out of it, & also hit it with an acid/concrete etch. This took several days before I could even paint it.
Now, I'll just hit the spots with a wire brush, & touch them up.

I did the garage floor at my parents' house with Griot's Garage floor paint. This stuff has held up remarkably better, but it's very slippery when wet which is why I did not use it again.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ITSA426

Any liquid spilled on my Race Deck would pool under it.  That included oil, water and gasoline.  Water mostly, when winter slush melted off the car.  The floor was slippery when wet but cleaned up well with soap and water.  I used an overhead heat system in my garage and was told one reason for it's overall mediocre performance was air flow under the tiles in extreme cold weather.  I also used pads under jacks and jack stands.

The present floor is heated and coated with a three coat stippled epoxy.  It's easy to clean and does not get slippery when wet.  You can lay on it to work under the car and there is no outside flame source.  Downside of that was price but I plan to stay here for a lot more winters.

Stretch

What are the interlocking tile floors made out of? I've never seen one other than on T.V. I do a lot of welding and cutting in my garage. Is it safe to assume this type of floor isn't the answer for me?
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Stretch on October 20, 2011, 01:04:50 PM
What are the interlocking tile floors made out of? I've never seen one other than on T.V. I do a lot of welding and cutting in my garage. Is it safe to assume this type of floor isn't the answer for me?

They are made of hard plastic which has reinforcing ribs on the bottom....they are about 1/4" thick overall....welding wouldnt be a good idea over them
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Stretch

Paul G

I have a professionally installed two part epoxy floor coating with the speckles. It is holding up very well. Floor jack, jack stands, dropped tools, etc. will mark it up. But you cant tell because the speckles hide everything. Super easy to clean, just drag a mop over it. Spills wipe up easy. Not too slippery when wet, speckles help a lot. I would highly recommend it.

The floor was 3 years old when I had it coated. The concrete was still pretty fresh. I chose the coating rather than tiles because I work on the cars in the garage. Oil and other fluid spills just seemed like it would be a big mess getting under the tiles. I think the tiles look very cool in a non working garage where they would not get dirty.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

RallyeMike

I recently self-installed a Sherwin-Williams 2-part epoxy. They have multiple products to choose from. The slab was soda-blasted prior to installation.

It's very easy to clean, which is fantastic. It seems pretty tough but does show abrasions (I did not use the speckles). I plan to use plywood pads under jack stands and such and do my best to preserve the finish and keep it easy to maintain. Price = Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 21, 2011, 11:53:55 PM
I recently self-installed a Sherwin-Williams 2-part epoxy. They have multiple products to choose from. The slab was soda-blasted prior to installation.

It's very easy to clean, which is fantastic. It seems pretty tough but does show abrasions (I did not use the speckles). I plan to use plywood pads under jack stands and such and do my best to preserve the finish and keep it easy to maintain. Price = Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. 

did you soda blast yourself, or call someone in for the job?  :popcrn:

Stretch

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 22, 2011, 07:46:57 AM
Quote from: RallyeMike on October 21, 2011, 11:53:55 PM

did you soda blast yourself, or call someone in for the job?  :popcrn:

Yes, tell more about the soada blasting.

Also, Is the epoxy stuff ok in a garage like mine? I do ALOT of cutting, welding and grinding. I guess what Im asking is cutting slag going to burn into it and possibly start it on fire? How thick of a coating does it lay down. I live in Michigains Upper Peninsula (100 miles stright north of Green Bay Wi) How is it affected be drastic temp changes. I heat my shop with wood but only when I'm using it. The temp frequently drops well below zero. (sometimes over 30deg below zero ambient, not wind chill).

Topher

Thanks guys! I do moderate work in my shop, you know, oil changes, brakes, occaisional clutch, or engine job, and of course build headlight motors. I never thought about spilling somethig and it getting trapped under the sectional floors. I have some of the Rustoleum floor epoxy, that may be the better route to take. It was free, so what the hey.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

RallyeMike

QuoteYes, tell more about the soada blasting.

Also, Is the epoxy stuff ok in a garage like mine? I do ALOT of cutting, welding and grinding. I guess what Im asking is cutting slag going to burn into it and possibly start it on fire? How thick of a coating does it lay down. I live in Michigains Upper Peninsula (100 miles stright north of Green Bay Wi) How is it affected be drastic temp changes. I heat my shop with wood but only when I'm using it. The temp frequently drops well below zero. (sometimes over 30deg below zero ambient, not wind chill).

The soda blasting was contracted. It was about $800 for a 24x24 garage.

I was told that NO epoxy floor will stand up to hot slag, hammer blows, etc. The product I used is Armorseal 1000HS. It is a high-solids, chemical-resistant coating used in industrial applications, and is supposed to be about as tough as they come. I was told it is resistant to grinder and welding sparks. You still can't drop molten metal on it or hit it with a grinder or hammer blows without causing damage.

As far as temperature resistance, that's not an issue here on the W coast, so I didnt even ask. I put down 6 gallons on 24x24 which theoretically is 10 mils per the cut sheet.

Find the Sherwin-Williams store in the industrial part of your town and they should have the expert to answer your questions. They have multiple lines of this stuff.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

How did you go about finding a soda blast contractor?

Pics before/after? :popcrn:

RallyeMike

XS29...

This whole mess was a result of me trying to burn my house down. The soda blaster and concrete spall patching (hot fire!) was arranged and done by a contractor. If you are looking for similar, check into concrete/masonry restoration contractors who will have this equipment.

I had the option of taking over some of the work, so after the concrete was repaired and blasted, I did the rest of the work to restore the garage floor and cabinets. There are pictures of before and after here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82517.0.html

After you lay the Epoxy down, you need to be prepared to be without your garage for awhile. It took about 2 weeks at 50-75 degrees before I felt this stuff could handle car tire weight.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 23, 2011, 06:36:55 PM
XS29...

This whole mess was a result of me trying to burn my house down. The soda blaster and concrete spall patching (hot fire!) was arranged and done by a contractor. If you are looking for similar, check into concrete/masonry restoration contractors who will have this equipment.

I had the option of taking over some of the work, so after the concrete was repaired and blasted, I did the rest of the work to restore the garage floor and cabinets. There are pictures of before and after here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82517.0.html

After you lay the Epoxy down, you need to be prepared to be without your garage for awhile. It took about 2 weeks at 50-75 degrees before I felt this stuff could handle car tire weight.

Wow, I do remember that thread!

I was thinking w/out a garage for 3 or 4 days, not 2 weeks  :shruggy: