News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger boat, yes. But a Charger tractor?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 19, 2011, 06:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I know they made a Charger boat many years ago, but I never knew there was a Charger tractor out there in 69.
My new OCD kick is old Wheel horse tractors. They were just the best built stuff back in the day along with International, John Deer etc....
Who would think they made a 1969 Wheel horse Charger 10 and 12 hp? Not me, but they did and I would love to locate one.
I have a rusty old WH that I use for plowing. They made 8 speeds and Hydrostatic.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

b5blue

I had a 10, "won" it from the marina my bro stored his boat at. It had sat in the back of the high and dry for ages. When I inquired about it the owner said: If you can get it running and make one lap around my office you can have it for 50 bucks. The carb was gummed up and the tank was full of crap was mostly all it needed. Nobody ever bothered to really try to fix it till I came along. I gave it to my buddy to give to his pop so he could drive it down to the mailbox on his property in Michigan.   :lol:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: b5blue on October 19, 2011, 06:57:27 PM
I had a 10, "won" it from the marina my bro stored his boat at. It had sat in the back of the high and dry for ages. When I inquired about it the owner said: If you can get it running and make one lap around my office you can have it for 50 bucks. The carb was gummed up and the tank was full of crap was mostly all it needed. Nobody ever bothered to really try to fix it till I came along. I gave it to my buddy to give to his pop so he could drive it down to the mailbox on his property in Michigan.   :lol:
:2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :laugh:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

HalfastJav

We dig old mowers too. O0  just a few in our shop along with ten more out back under tarps and a new John Deere we actually use.

bobs66440

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

J.Bond

Mine must be an earlier model, well built ,but expensive to rebuild. A replacement belly mount mower deck housing bare, runs about 1200.00, a complete assembly, around 2200.00 Bought a OEM muffler a couple of years back at 180.00, that mufler resides on a shelf, apparently I was still missing the 80.00 90 degree attachment fitting, 260.00 for the complete muffler!!!!!!!! The pricing on small engine repair parts has almost allways made my head spin

bobs66440

It's a shame it's so expensive. As soon as people see an opportunity to gouge, they do. That should be a fun, inexpensive hobby. Jeez, even vintage bicycles are getting out of reach. Any time there's nastalgia involved, watch out.

Cooter

Well, you can thank American Pickers for that.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

J.Bond

No iit's not gouging or American Pickers. It's the industry it's self, depending on the brand, pricing varies. If I buy Toro blades for the C-100, 112.00 for 3, 14 in mower blades, if I replace my John Deere 316 blades, 26.50 for three 16 in. blades. I collect and run older Roper Garden tractors,  I'm really fond of the 18 to 20 hp twin Onan engines, however try pricing out thier parts, cardiac arrest wont be far behind!!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: J.Bond on October 22, 2011, 08:58:38 AM
Mine must be an earlier model, well built ,but expensive to rebuild. A replacement belly mount mower deck housing bare, runs about 1200.00, a complete assembly, around 2200.00 Bought a OEM muffler a couple of years back at 180.00, that mufler resides on a shelf, apparently I was still missing the 80.00 90 degree attachment fitting, 260.00 for the complete muffler!!!!!!!! The pricing on small engine repair parts has almost allways made my head spin
Those prices are crazy. Go on eBay. There are over 4,000 parts listed. I just bought a long OEM belt for 20.00.

hemigeno

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 19, 2011, 06:02:25 PM
Who would think they made a 1969 Wheel horse Charger 10 and 12 hp?...

They made 8 speeds and Hydrostatic.

Yep, my family had a 1969 Wheel Horse "Charger" hydrostatic drive with a 36" cut 3-bladed mowing deck and an 8hp Tecumseh engine which sounded pretty wicked for an 8hp.  Dad bought it new from the local hardware store in town.  When I was given the task of cutting the grass around our house (at +/- 8yrs old), I took that tractor on as my own pet project.  After each cutting I'd check the oil, wipe the engine cover down, and I changed the crankcase oil at least twice per cutting season.  Every couple of weeks I'd get out a rag and a screwdriver and get the crud out of every nook and cranny on the engine & carburetor.  Yes, I was a detail nut even back then!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemigeno on October 28, 2011, 12:08:30 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 19, 2011, 06:02:25 PM
Who would think they made a 1969 Wheel horse Charger 10 and 12 hp?...

They made 8 speeds and Hydrostatic.

Yep, my family had a 1969 Wheel Horse "Charger" hydrostatic drive with a 36" cut 3-bladed mowing deck and an 8hp Tecumseh engine which sounded pretty wicked for an 8hp. Dad bought it new from the local hardware store in town. When I was given the task of cutting the grass around our house (at +/- 8yrs old), I took that tractor on as my own pet project. After each cutting I'd check the oil, wipe the engine cover down, and I changed the crankcase oil at least twice per cutting season. Every couple of weeks I'd get out a rag and a screwdriver and get the crud out of every nook and cranny on the engine & carburetor. Yes, I was a detail nut even back then!

Surprised you don't go find one for ole memory sakes?
Mine is ready for New England snow, In OCTOBER!!

b5blue

You guys are on to something, I talked to the guy that got mine and found it never made it to his dad's, he was offered a good price for it and sold it.  :lol:

1969chargerrtse

I went to a antique engine show last month. Trust me tractor collecting is alive and well. Wheel horse, John Deer seemed to be the most collected. Some guys had 20 models all lined up and restored. People love well built stuff. Many forums out there also.

ACUDANUT

Looks like a lawn mower to me...I can show you a "real tractor".  :rofl:

1969chargerrtse

That " Lawn mower " is out there moving wet October snow I would not want to shovel.  :2thumbs:

5wndwcpe

Thought you might get some use out of it today.  :yesnod:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 5wndwcpe on October 29, 2011, 03:37:40 PM
Thought you might get some use out of it today.  :yesnod:
What's funny is the lawn shot and snow shot are just hours apart.