News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rag joint

Started by flyinlow, October 19, 2011, 12:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Is the rag joint on a 73 PS. car necessary, or can you put a Flaming River u joint style in its place?

MRHWS

I have read where some have used the Flaming River joint. What I don't like is, it is a solid joint, where as the rag joint is designed to absorb the flex from the k frame. I wonder what the long term effects are on the solid joint? I know the rag joint is hard to come by and quite expensive, but I prefer it. I have a nos one I lucked into that's going on my '73 this winter.
1973 Charger SE
1974 Charger Rallye 440
2008 Charger SRT8

FLG

IMO

If your going to use the FR joint get solid subframe mounts (guy on moparts sells em for much less than firmfeel)

The solid mounts will eliminate the subframe movement, and will tighten up the front end  :2thumbs:

As much as i love these cars, unless you want to do a factory resto they can use some major help in the braking, and handling catagory. Solid subframe mounts for us 73-4 cars, get rid of the leaf spring isolators as well, poly bushings...etc

flyinlow

Thanks for the replys. I have installed poly K frame isolators , do you think that would be ridgid enough for a FR style joint?

FLG

Couldn't say for sure..but id imagine there's people running the fr couplings with stock subframe bushings without issues. You'll probably be fine.

69rtse4spd

Just read this post about rag joint, would one for a later model pick up truck work.  :shruggy:.

flyinlow

The joint rubber is avialable. I wanted more clearence on the headers and a cleaner look.