News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much cooling fluid?? Seemst too much...

Started by mysil bergsprekken, September 18, 2011, 06:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysil bergsprekken

How much fluid goes in the cooling system? According to the manual there is 18 Us Quarts which is if I am not mistaking, appriximately 17 Liters. But is this correct??
69 charger RT

Chryco Psycho

yes , I typically pour in 2 full gallons of pure AF then add 1.6 gallons of distilled water to top it up , good to - 40 that way

mysil bergsprekken

That takes it up to 3,6 gallon in your car (I presume you have the 26 inch radiator) which is approximately 13,6 liters on your car.

I drained my cooling system (opened drain screw on radiator, radiator cap and unhooked lower radiator hose), but were only able to drain 11 liters from the system, and naturally, only but 11 back in.
69 charger RT

Cooter

17 Liters is For a totally empty system...This means if you drain the cooling system, you will only get out around 11 liters as you did, cause it is all but impossible to drain the heater core, ALL of the engine block, etc. when draining from the radiator pet cock drain....

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mysil bergsprekken

How should one drain the entire system then? Do I have to remove the thermostat for that?

And are there any bleed screws that need to be opened in order to drain the entire amount of coolant???
69 charger RT

Chryco Psycho

The block has drain ports low down on the side of the block

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 18, 2011, 09:01:13 PM
The block has drain ports low down on the side of the block

I figured it had to be, but when I did the draining of the system, I couldn't find any. Do you or anyone have a picture of where the drain is?

And also, is there any bleed screws (to let air in) that need to be opened in order to drain the entire amount of coolant?
Or are there any for letting air back out, for preventing an air lock in the cooling system?
69 charger RT

A383Wing

it's a pipe plug on each side of the block...right next to motor mount...pain in the ass to get to

Chryco Psycho

no air generally gets trapped , you can pull the heater hose or drill a small hole in the T stat

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: A383Wing on October 18, 2011, 11:28:08 PM
it's a pipe plug on each side of the block...right next to motor mount...pain in the ass to get to

ok, thanks. so they are that difficult to see or reach. I'll check it the next time I am under there.

I did see some pipe plugs on top of the block also, next to the heater hose outlet, can these be for venting?
69 charger RT

Dino

Can't you just refill the rad with water, let it run, flush, rinse and repeat?  That way you can at least get the crud out and top it off with coolant and more water.  I gues to do it right you'd have to flush with distilled water...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I've used those cheap auto parts store back flush systems with good success. Hooks up to a garden hose to thoroughly flush the system. Just make sure the pressure through the hose isn't too high and that you get a good stream of water out of the radiator otherwise you risk damaging the heater core.