News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 engine for 69 Charger, no oil pressure

Started by journeycharger69, October 14, 2011, 12:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

journeycharger69

We started up a brand new rebuilt 383 engine, showed 20 lbs oil pressure, then after engine warmed up it went down to 0 lbs.  Changed the oil pump to high volume and does the same thing.  When we removed the distributor and the gear drive into the oil pump we put inserted a priming rod and spun it with a drill and getting 40 to 50 lbs oil pressure.  We have inspected the gear drive and all is well.  What could the problem be?  Any ideas?  

John_Kunkel

There's probably an oil gallery plug missing inside the block, the one by the front cam bearing often gets missed because it's hard to see.

The pressure reads higher with the priming rod because the crank/rods/cam aren't spinning.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chryco Psycho

I hope you are not using a fram filter anything is better

Plumcrazy

I also hope you are using a reliable oil pressure test gauge and not the gauge in the car.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

journeycharger69

OK, that didn't work with the missing plug theory!  We pulled the front end of the motor and found that the PLUG IS THERE!  We are using a Wix filter.  Any other suggestions?

journeycharger69

Yes, we are using a reliable mechanical oil pressure gauge and not the guage in the instrument cluster in the car.

Challenger340

20 cold, and 0 warm running,
then,
with a HV Pump and a Drill you get 50 psi ?

You have an excessive clearance issue somewhere internal of the Engine. You should see higher than 50psi with a High Volume on the Drill, in fact, should darn near stall the Drill around 70psi.
Who rebuilt it ?
What were the brg clearances ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

justcruisin

Challenger340 is bang on the money, when I spun my fresh 440 up on a priming rod and drill to check oiling, HV pump, 70 psi on a slow drill speed, less than 100 rpm.
Cam hasn't been grooved for permanent oiling to the heads without fitting restrictors?

journeycharger69

Thanks for the responses!  The engine was rebuilt locally by a machine shop.  I was hoping it was something simple.  Now we know we have to pull it so we are going to pull the engine today and get it up on a stand and look at it.  I will keep you posted. 

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 14, 2011, 08:49:00 PM
I hope you are not using a fram filter anything is better
Fram has made drastic changes to make it a better filter, but that's not your issue here.

John_Kunkel

Check the oiling groove in the lifters, some style of lifters have a wide oiling groove that will be exposed at maximum lifter lift...this happens when using original small block lifters in a big block.

Big block, small block and AMC all use the same diameter lifter but the oiling groove is located differently.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

Quote from: journeycharger69 on October 14, 2011, 09:46:22 PM
OK, that didn't work with the missing plug theory!  We pulled the front end of the motor and found that the PLUG IS THERE!  We are using a Wix filter.  Any other suggestions?

You mean that BOTH plugs are there, right?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Chryco Psycho

the wide lifter groove is the second bet , if they drop too low on the bores the oil just pours out

journeycharger69

Both plugs are there.  The machine shop guy is going to look at it with us tomorrow.  Will let ya know when we find something.

ACUDANUT

Yea, keep us posted...Get a 2nd and 3rd opinion from a good machine/engine shop.

journeycharger69

Got the news today.   Crank was turned .010 when it was in the shop and standard size bearings were placed.  Business has apologized and is getting the correct size and compensating for the labor. 
Thanks to all for helping!!! :2thumbs:

Challenger340

Quote from: journeycharger69 on October 16, 2011, 09:37:57 PM
Got the news today.   Crank was turned .010 when it was in the shop and standard size bearings were placed.  Business has apologized and is getting the correct size and compensating for the labor. 

Thats great news that you found the problem, even better they are stepping up !
I kinda figured something was a little loose down there ?

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 14, 2011, 10:21:44 PM
20 cold, and 0 warm running,
then,
with a HV Pump and a Drill you get 50 psi ?

You have an excessive clearance issue somewhere internal of the Engine. You should see higher than 50psi with a High Volume on the Drill, in fact, should darn near stall the Drill around 70psi.
Who rebuilt it ?
What were the brg clearances ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

tatrick2me

Your shop is the kind I like trading with. Everyone makes a mistake no matter who they are. Its how the people correct the problem that realy counts.
Bone 7

mopar2

Glad to hear the shop is fixing their mastake :yesnod: