News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Temp question

Started by jaak, October 19, 2011, 03:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

I am assuming a mechanical gauge would be more accurate, here's the deal....

My Charger was running hot (according to dash gauge), showing between 230*-250*, but the car didn't seem to be running hot, so I hooked up a mechanical gauge (to read at the same time), I let the car run a while until the dash gauge read 230*, looked at the mech gauge, it read 170*. So I assume that 170* is the correct temp.

What is the culprit? Bad gauge? Bad sender?

Jason

y3chargerrt

I'd swap the sender out first. Cheap and easy to do.

Budnicks

Quote from: jaak on October 19, 2011, 03:58:27 PM
I am assuming a mechanical gauge would be more accurate, here's the deal....

My Charger was running hot (according to dash gauge), showing between 230*-250*, but the car didn't seem to be running hot, so I hooked up a mechanical gauge (to read at the same time), I let the car run a while until the dash gauge read 230*, looked at the mech gauge, it read 170*. So I assume that 170* is the correct temp.

What is the culprit? Bad gauge? Bad sender?

Jason
I would say check your gauges grounds & engine to chassis/body grounds carefully, make sure no corrosion then clean reinstall with a dab of dielectric grease on all electrical connectors {check main bulkhead connections also}, the sending unit also works thru ground, if you have too much Teflon tape or sealer on the sending unit it can give a false reading showing more resistance {higher temp}, like the other guy said the sending unit is cheap & easy to check/change...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Cooter

When you order the "Decals" to restore/reface the gauges, they come in two flavors as there was a TSB back in 1968-70 that altered the gauge to read correctly.
Basically, from what I've seen, all the TSB consisted of was to move the NORMAL bar closer to the HOT mark to allow drivers to feel better..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

jaak

Quote from: Cooter on October 19, 2011, 05:44:34 PM
When you order the "Decals" to restore/reface the gauges, they come in two flavors as there was a TSB back in 1968-70 that altered the gauge to read correctly.
Basically, from what I've seen, all the TSB consisted of was to move the NORMAL bar closer to the HOT mark to allow drivers to feel better..

Yeah I remembered that, I think I did install the 'newer' decal that reflected the change.

Jason

70 Charger RT

Another solution is to calibrate the dash gauge.  The only thing is that the gauge has to come out.  There should be a span and zero adjust hole on the back side of the can.  It sounds like the zero adjustment is set too high.  What I've done to calibrate these things is pull the sensor and the gauge.  Throw the sensor in boiling water (connected to your gauge and a battery) and calibrate it that way.  Or I've heard of some guys that use a decade box if the resisances are known.  Good luck.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel