News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

All Projects are stopped injury to hand

Started by 4aThrill, October 16, 2011, 11:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

Been working on the car and the house switching on and off from the two every other week. well had a freak accident last Sunday,   :'( I was framing some new walls for the outcove for the fridge to fall back into the living room. I was working on the second wall and the nail gun shot two nails at once I saw one go into the 2x4 and other took me a moment to find which ended up in my left wrist two inches in and one inch sticking out  :o. I was more calm then the wife running around with her head cut off state looking for her phone . So I called on mine, it took three hours to pull out yes I said Pull out I felt that one. they said four - eight weeks to have full use of my hand again.  :pity:  So now I am still working on finishing the Kitchen every now and then I have friends show up to help out  :drool5: cause framing the other walls, electric work,hanging dry wall is somewhat hard to do with one hand and a half.  As for the car I will hold off till I get full use of the other hand to start working on her again  :'(

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

b5blue

:o   Bump shot, try turning the air pressure lower. It looks very painful, sorry for your misfortune!   :pity:

Roger 68 charger

Holy Cow   :o    That looks like its going to leave a mark.  lucky you didn't hit a main artery.
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

tan top

damn !! you was lucky  !! well not to cause any serious damage  :o    good luck on a speedy recovery  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TruckDriver

Quote from: Roger 68 charger on October 16, 2011, 12:56:37 PM
Holy Cow   :o    That looks like its going to leave a mark.  lucky you didn't hit a main artery.

Thats the first thing I thought  :eek2:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

RallyeMike

Hmmmmm. 16d. You got lucky if no nerves or tendons were hit.

I used to work as a framer, and unfortunately, this is not uncommon when you use nail guns. The worst I saw was a guy who nailed all four of his fingers together from the side.

Good luck with your recovery.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

twodko

Get well soon bro but be advised..........that won't buff out.  ;D
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

4aThrill

I was really lucky had the Big man up stairs looking out for me.

bobs66440

Yikes!  :o   :P

I got a little twinge of nausea looking at that one! Wishes for a quick recovery...

Vainglory, Esq.

You're well on your way to a stigmata...

Dans 68

Yep, 2 at once happens. Luckily I never put one into my body. Framing hammer full on fingers, yes. Glad to see (the photo, not so much  :eek2:) you will recover.  

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

NHCharger

Ouch, I feel your pain. Built houses for years. Shot myself several times but nothing like that.
My friend did one worst than that. Was nailing overhead with a stick nailer, dropped it, caught it by the trigger just as the nose of the gun hit his throat. Shot himself in the throat with a 16D nail, of course he was working by himself, no cell service. Drove himself to the hospital. One tuff dude.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Alaskan_TA

Ouch!

I am working with a younger fairly green crew right now. If it is OK with you I would like to share these photos with them?

Todd Wilson

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fred

:eek2:  OUCH! how awful for you, I wish you a speedy recovery.
And here's a warning to anyone who's thinking of using a nail gun in the future................just don't scratch your head with it!  :D

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Dino

How the heck did you miss the carpal nerve tunnel????  That's some scary stuff right there.  I wish you a speedy recovery!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

nh_mopar_fan

Yikes! Glad to hear you'll have a full recovery.

Old Moparz

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, & hopefully others will have a reminder of how dangerous some tools can be, especially the younger guys or the less experienced.

The first air tools I ever worked with were the staplers for assembling wooden crates for packing. Some of the staples were 3" long & would bend very easy. A guy I worked with stressed how important it was to be careful & pay attention to what you were doing. He also told me about a guy who was holding the 2 pieces of lumber together on the floor, one piece with his hand & one piece against his knee so he could shoot the staple in sideways. The staple hit a knot in the wood & made a 90 degree turn out the side where his knee was & went straight through his knee cap.   :o

I've been on my roof on & off the last couple of weeks doing repairs with a coil nail gun & a stick nailer framing gun. The coil gun sometimes shoots 2 nails, but it hasn't happened with the stick nailer yet. On the roof it's sometimes awkward to position yourself & the gun & sometimes I'll set it down with my leg holding it to keep it from sliding down the roof. I've got the staple in the knee cap story burned into my mind & always make sure the tip isn't pointing anywhere at my leg.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ChgrSteve67

Quit being a pussy and get back to work.
If you chopped it off completely I could see maybe a day or two of goofing off but just one nail?    :smilielol:

Did you buy a lottery ticket yet?  You could be walking around lucky and not even know it.

RallyeMike

QuoteQuit being a pussy and get back to work.

:rofl:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Darkman

Did you measure and mark that? Good shot, looks right in the centre of the wrist!

Wishing you a speedy recovery
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

4aThrill

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 16, 2011, 09:36:48 PM
Ouch!

I am working with a younger fairly green crew right now. If it is OK with you I would like to share these photos with them?

sure no problem

4aThrill

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 17, 2011, 11:57:08 AM
Quit being a pussy and get back to work.
If you chopped it off completely I could see maybe a day or two of goofing off but just one nail?    :smilielol:

Did you buy a lottery ticket yet?  You could be walking around lucky and not even know it.

I am back to work just alittle bit slower took me an hour just to put a oulet box in, run the wire and connect two outlets to a power source and secure the wire to the 2x4's which could of took me 20 mins with two hands.

no lotto ticket yet but since you said something I will do that.

flyinlow

Just replaced my 12 year old gun. I always wondered why the bounce trip trigger in in a little bag and not installed on the gun. Now I know. Great tools ,but.....

Glad your goimg to be alright!

69rtse4spd

Glad your up & around, sure we all have stories. Damn near cut my left thumb off at work one Sunday, drove myself to the hospital, 2.5 hours & 6 stitches later back to work. Hang in there, it will get better.  :2thumbs:.

4aThrill

I'm just glad everything turned out with great news, no broken bones or arteries,or tendons really hit or any damaged just went into the meat of my thumb area. :coolgleamA: It just feels like I am getting shocked if I move my arm,hand or thumb to fast, or in the direction it doesn't like which is everywhere.  :eek2: And just touching the thumb is like the feeling you get when your feet fall asleep that all tingling feeling ya that's my thumb for now.  but thankx guys for all the messages and stories you have too,  :2thumbs: like all my past injury's this won't slow me down one bit I will be working house and the car getting the projects done and starting new ones too.  :yesnod:

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: 4aThrill on October 17, 2011, 05:51:53 PM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 16, 2011, 09:36:48 PM
Ouch!

sure no problem

Thanks!

I got hit with a 3" long 1/2" crown staple when I was 17 or 18 by a co-worker. It went through two finger joints on my left hand.

ChgrSteve67

I'm really glad you did not do any serious damage to your hand. I have to work with my hands for a living too and to not be able to use one of them would really suck. I'm also glad to hear your job lets you continue to work with an injury. A lot of companies don't believe in "light duty".

I'm not going to bore you with any of my past mishapps, not enought blood to brag about and I have lost count on the number of stiches.

Rolling_Thunder

well that looks like it tickled...     

I saw a guy take a nail in this thigh once...    thing totally disappeared...     they had to go digging for it...     ouchy!
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bull

Quote from: 4aThrill on October 17, 2011, 08:13:30 PM
And just touching the thumb is like the feeling you get when your feet fall asleep that all tingling feeling ya that's my thumb for now.

I had that same feeling in my left cheek and left upper lip (especially the lip) for about four years after getting run over by a 1,000-lb. bull in 1994. He was making a break for it from inside a pen and typically, I'd say 99% of the time, when you run straight at cattle while yelling and waving your arms they back off. This one didn't and the gate panel he tried to jump flew up and shattered my left cheek and detached it from my eye socket. It also smashed part of the Trigeminal nerve that runs through a hole in your cheek bone and spreads out under the skin. So a week or so later I had reconstructive surgery and they installed two titanium plates (plainly visible on my dental x-rays) above and below my eye socket and did their best to smooth out the shattered cheek.

Anyway, even today the left side of my upper lip and part of my left cheek feels strange and for a long time I would get sharp pains while it was healing.

learical1

Quote from: bull on October 21, 2011, 06:38:32 PM
Quote from: 4aThrill on October 17, 2011, 08:13:30 PM
And just touching the thumb is like the feeling you get when your feet fall asleep that all tingling feeling ya that's my thumb for now.

I had that same feeling in my left cheek and left upper lip (especially the lip) for about four years after getting run over by a 1,000-lb. bull in 1994. He was making a break for it from inside a pen and typically, I'd say 99% of the time, when you run straight at cattle while yelling and waving your arms they back off. This one didn't and the gate panel he tried to jump flew up and shattered my left cheek and detached it from my eye socket. It also smashed part of the Trigeminal nerve that runs through a hole in your cheek bone and spreads out under the skin. So a week or so later I had reconstructive surgery and they installed two titanium plates (plainly visible on my dental x-rays) above and below my eye socket and did their best to smooth out the shattered cheek.

Anyway, even today the left side of my upper lip and part of my left cheek feels strange and for a long time I would get sharp pains while it was healing.

Well, that explains your user name here. :yesnod:
Bruce

bull

No, that's nothing more than coincidental irony. :D They called me bull because in high school football I was the one running people over. I'd say i got my payback though when that sucker, who weighed more than three NFL linemen, smashed my face with a steel gate.