News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice regarding work rights

Started by 69bronzeT5, October 12, 2011, 06:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

Everything happens for a reason.
I'm sure there is something better out there waiting for you Cody.

I delivered freight for 10 years and loved it but moved on to an electrinics trade school and finally computers.
Much better to use your head for a living and it pays a lot better!

-Steve

Magnumcharger

You're a smart guy Cody. Maybe losing this crap job isn't the end of the world, but an opportunity to try something different. I know your desire is to live and work in your homeland, but unless you have schooling in a trade you'll be doing these crappy jobs until you do.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

NHCharger

Another vote here to move on and get an education.
My oldest boy spent three years in college before he decided to drop out and become an electrician. I was pissed at him for doing that but he didn't want to be a desk jockey. He now has his journeyman's license and will have his Masters in one more year. He said the the three years he did spend in college will help him when he starts his own business.
I spent 1 1/2 years in college studying accounting. ( I'm also a college drop out). But that year and a half was a huge help when I had my own construction company for 20 years.
If your not sure what you want to do try a few night courses. If your goal is to have your own body or repair shop some courses in business management is a good way to go.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Fred

A good education wins by a mile. How many people in latter life have looked back and wished they'd done it better!
There are no second chances so go for it while yiou can.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Ahhh Cody.. This is what's called the old "Freeze out". I too was in your shoes 20 years ago when I was sh*tcanned for "Doing nothing wrong". This is the world we live in today. Kids come out of school today unaware of things like this that do happen. I work for an arrogant, selfish, drunk who drinks on the freakin' job, Bitches all the time about the stupidest sh*t and when called on it, blames you for even daring to speak up. If it weren't for the money, I'd be long gone. I've been threatened to be fired numerous times. Like it causes him physical pain to be nice or something.

Don't expect this to be an isolated incident either. This will happen over and over. Maybe they hired you and found out you like Ozzy/Metal music and that was enough for someone to want you gone? Maybe they hired you and the managers Cousin/nephew whatever, wanted the job?
Whatever the reason, forge ahead, as in the USA, it is illeagal to give a bad reference when an employer calls, so move on and just understand this is the "New Economy"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Magnumcharger

Lets see...jobs I got fired from:
a. Working as a Zamboni driver, I showed up early for work and took a shower in a locker room (I just came from a gym). A hockey player saw me coming out of the changing room after the shower and demanded to know why I was in there. I told him I worked there..not good enough I guess, as he bitched to my boss and I was gone!
b. I worked as an apprentice carpenter, got "laid off" as the owner of the company wanted to re-hire his best friend!
c. Worked as a welder, saw the foreman ripping off the company blind...so I called the cops. Afterwhich, he had me canned. Makes sense I guess.
d. Worked as a heavy equipment operator...for my own Brother-in-law. He "laid me off" after only a month, as he said the work wasn't there. The very next week he hired another guy.
e. Worked as an Autobody mechanic at a Chevrolet dealership. Did mostly all of the crappy paint removal on the warranty claims that were coming in. Got "laid off" after a couple of months as we pretty well refinished all of the cars in the area.
f. Worked as a gas station attendant, got "fired" as I refused to work the day of my High School grad party.
g. Worked as a house painter...got "laid off" after I wouldn't give my boss sexual favors...yeah, a big lebanese guy. Yuk!
h. Worked at a fast food joint, got "laid off" after I caught pneumonia and missed two weeks of work (I was in the hospital).
i. Another gas station job, got "laid off" so the boss could hire his nephew.

Add to this another bunch of crap jobs I quit just because the working conditions were brutal!

So you see, a whole lot of terminations from crappy jobs mostly because I didn't get a post-secondary education.
The good news is: I got educated (finally!) and have an occupation that is recession proof, pays very well and the employers (good ones) contact me to see if I'd work for them!

If only I'd known about this when I was 19...I'd be a millionaire now. :yesnod:

BigBlackDodge

g. Worked as a house painter...got "laid off" after I wouldn't give my boss sexual favors...yeah, a big lebanese guy. Yuk!

I wish a had never read that! :eek2:

BBD

TK73

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 14, 2011, 12:54:16 PM

BBD

:rofl:  Probably could have gone far with that company!!
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

moparstuart

Quote from: TK73 on October 14, 2011, 01:14:18 PM
Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 14, 2011, 12:54:16 PM

BBD

:rofl:  Probably could have gone far with that company!!
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TheGhost

g. Worked as a house painter...got "laid off" after I wouldn't give my boss sexual favors...yeah, a big lebanese guy. Yuk

So, what you're saying is, if he'd been decent looking, you'd have done it?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Magnumcharger

Hmmm...I guess I left myself wide open here for a bit of humor, so well done you guys!
But since you guys chose to ignore everything else I wrote, I guess I'll elaborate a bit.

It was my first summer job at the age of 14. The contractor was some guy up from Rhode Island using local help. I was recommended to him by a friend of my parents. Supposedly, because he was a very respected Christian, he was supposed to be trustworthy.
It was my first time dealing with an American and a Baptist. I'm not sure how this correlates to him being a pedophile or a homosexual, but let's just say he was something I'd never encountered before or since.

That being said, maybe I just wasn't prepared for how business is transacted in the States, or the christian community for that matter. Either way, I'm not gay, American or Christian , so what do I know?

Budnicks

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 14, 2011, 05:47:18 PM
Hmmm...I guess I left myself wide open here for a bit of humor, so well done you guys!
But since you guys chose to ignore everything else I wrote, I guess I'll elaborate a bit.

It was my first summer job at the age of 14. The contractor was some guy up from Rhode Island using local help. I was recommended to him by a friend of my parents. Supposedly, because he was a very respected Christian, he was supposed to be trustworthy.
It was my first time dealing with an American and a Baptist. I'm not sure how this correlates to him being a pedophile or a homosexual, but let's just say he was something I'd never encountered before or since.

That being said, maybe I just wasn't prepared for how business is transacted in the States, or the christian community for that matter. Either way, I'm not gay, American or Christian , so what do I know?
The guy would be considered a "big douche bag" from what ever country your from, baptist, American,  christian or not...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Back N Black

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 14, 2011, 05:47:18 PM

So, you got boned out of a job? or never got boned on the Job? either way it sucks.  :D

kab69440

Cody, after 27 years of endless hours of hard labor in innumerable crapholes  in 5 counties, I leave you with this one bit of  wisdom and truth:
Nothing you ever do will ever be enough to please anyone.
You will never hear:
"Hey, thanks for getting that taken care of for us! We really appreciate the extra effort!"  That's how it is. Deal with it. Nothing you have done, nothing you have given, nothing you have sacrificed matters. The only things that do matter are how much more you could do, how little compensation you will accept for doing it. That is how it is. I'm sorry to say it, and wish I had something more positive to add.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

73rallye440magnum

Alright... Cody,

Though I'm only a few years older than you, I recognize your situation.
I'm 23. In my second semester. Married. Mortgage. Baby on the way. Commuting 45 miles each way to the University.
Best decision I have ever made in my life.
Although on the surface this scenario may not seem life changing, you have the power to turn it into something extraordinary.
Ask yourself what kind of life you want to live...

I'm not going to give you advice on work rights. Let's bypass the BS.

I'll repeat what other have stated. (The best advice you will EVER recieve)

Go to a University. Give THAT 110%. Reap the benefits for the rest of your life.

PM me if you're feeling unsure.

I'm in Academic Honor Society. If I can pull it off in my situation, why can't you?
Yesterday would have been a great day to get started.

Make the most of your life. You're capable of it. You owe it to yourself (and others, actually...)

Good Luck, friend  :yesnod:

Jake
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Magnumcharger

nh_mopar_fan

Just an FYI, it is NOT illegal to give a negative reference. That's absurd.  :smilielol:

I wouldn't give one for the simple reason that even if the employee was a lazy deadbeat, they could come back and sue me if they could somehow prove that me telling their next prospective employer the truth cost them getting the job.

So, when asked about any detail on an ex employee, rather than say anything negative, employers will basically just say that they confirm that they employed the person and say nothing more. The hiring employer usually gets the message.  ;)

That said, take the good advice you're getting, move on. Contrary to what you hear, not all employers are scum of the earth. Things happen for a reason and you'll find yourself in a better place at the end of it all.

Get an education. You empower yourself.

stripedelete

Cody

These guys are spot-on about the education.  My education provided me with some great jobs and some great pay.  But, I no matter what, I always seemed to run into a plumber that made more than I did.    :Twocents:

TheGhost

In all seriousness, go to college.  I just turned 26, and regret that I dropped out.  In fact, I plan on going back next year, fixing my mistake.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

hemi-hampton

Been in your situation many times. The boss's like there butt kissed. Say one wrong word to them they don't like & next thing you know your gone for no apparent reason & some lame excuse. Only good advise I could give is stay way far away from the body shops , bodywork, auto painting busniness. I've been in 20 different body shops & 9 out of 10 have totally sucked with the boss's being the biggest low life scumbag scammers anywhere. Just my experiance. No Insult intended to the other 10%.  LEON.