News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my 68 gauges

Started by John G, October 16, 2011, 01:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John G

my gas and oil pressure gauges read half way. The temp doesn't work at all. I suspect it's that voltage regulator behind the instrument cluster. Would like anyone's opinon but also looking to see if anyone  has a shortcut to change it. By that I mean not having to go through the whole process of taking the whole cluster out (dropping the steering column, disconnecting everything etc). Is there a way to get to it by just (maybe) taking  off the cover, taking the screws out and the cluster comes out a little so I can get my hand in to change it?

Thanks

John G

twodko

That's a PITA for sure. I suspect 68's and 69's are the same. I just replace the HL switch in my 69 and it was a bitch. You can drop the column, pull all the bezel screws out etc but the cluster is attached to the bezel from behind which means speedo cable wiring harness(s) and sharp thingys you will make contact with.  :icon_smile_angry: I ended up removing the drivers seat so I could contort myself enough to get my big hand up in there and finally got it R & R'd. I'm 6'1" and it hurt like hell twisting, turning and cussing throughout what should have been a small task. I hope your fix goes better than mine. If you end up with bad gauges, lemme know because I've have a whole OEM set of them. Good luck.  :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68neverlate

I've had my '68 just a little over a year now and I'm getting ready to go in for the second time.  As twodko said, the problem is the speedo cable... to get the cluster out, you have to disconnect the cable, to disconnect the cable,  have to drop the steering column... etc., etc...

Do yourself a favour and book an appointment with physio now... you're probably going to need it!     :eek2:   :eek2:   

W4ATL

I did it by removing the steering wheel and removing the bolts holding the steering column and lowering it. I also had to remove my A/C duct. Then I removed the speedo cable, removed the screws on the front of the cluster and pulled it out a little. I was then able to take the old one out and put the new one in. But it was hard. I wanted to remove the cluster all the way but it just didn't want to come out so I did it with it installed.

John G

Thanks for the feedback. Probably will try over the Christmas Holiday when I  have some time off.

gtx6970

I just pulled the glass and rolled the whole dash out. SOOOOO much easier.

took about about 3 hours give or take