News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is "barn find" the currently most overused term?

Started by Ghoste, November 21, 2011, 07:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

It sure does seem to me like there are a LOT of barn find cars lately.  I am guessing all of the barns in North America must have been the last place everybody went looking for old cars.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

YES!!! ABSOLUTELY!!!  :Twocents:

The latest "Barn Find" on ebay is a rusty 'ol 69  :yesnod: Was the barn underwater? And where are the "Barn" pics?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,74322.0.html

At least the brown Charger from last year was really a "Barn Find" w/ barn pics, and all...  :2thumbs:

tan top

yeah  !!   Barn find !! unrestored  !!! survivor !!!!!!

think its given to cars   in for sale adds  , to  get car guys emocians running ! becuase thats what we all imagine finding !! a charger or ??... been parked for 35 years untouched ,  unrestored un tampered with  full of dust with four flats sitting in a barn , just waiting to be rescued  & rumble down the highway once again !!

needlessly  to say all these terms have beed adopted by car sellers etc etc & given to cars that are  not !!  weather by an error on the sellers part or to trick the less informed buyer  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

:popcrn:

heres another  on ebay now  !! this is a BARN find  :yesnod:  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Charger-R-T-numbers-matching-barn-find-Low-miles-MOPAR-/220898540987?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item336e943dbb

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69 OUR/TEA

NTM,locked up engine.Wow car needs full resto,appears to have it share of rust/rot.It's funny how cars in need of resto bring good money,yet people don't want to spend alittle more for a done one.I geuss it's the savings they think they will have or they just don't have that extra scratch,so feel they can restore themselves.
Hmmm,maybe I should try selling my project 72 RR GTX airgrabber,all #'s matching,BS,window sticker,oh yeah,runs and drives to!!!!

RallyeMike

Yes.

"Barn Find" - it doesnt even mean anything about the car. It could be nicely stored away, or it could be rusted in half and covered in pigeon droppings. Not only that, the term gets used now if the car was in a shed, garage, was in the barn for 20 minutes, or parked 100' from a barn in a swamp.

Still, nowhere near as irritating as the so-called "survivors" out there.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

68X426

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 21, 2011, 03:41:55 PM
Yes.

"Barn Find" - it doesnt even mean anything about the car. It could be nicely stored away, or it could be rusted in half and covered in pigeon droppings. Not only that, the term gets used now if the car was in a shed, garage, was in the barn for 20 minutes, or parked 100' from a barn in a swamp.

Agreed x2.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Budnicks

:hah: Barn Fresh is another 1... Like it's a great storage place  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, Most barns aren't climate controlled & usually leak like hell, I guess a little pigeon shit & dust may be better than sitting outside in the rain & snow, rotting in a field, in a forest or under a Pine or Oak tree some were in someones yard or driveway rotting away to nothing....  :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Budnicks on November 21, 2011, 04:10:25 PM
:hah: Barn Fresh is another 1... Like it's a great storage place  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, Most barns aren't climate controlled & usually leak like hell, I guess a little pigeon shit & dust may be better than sitting outside in the rain & snow, rotting in a field, in a forest or under a Pine or Oak tree some were in someones yard or driveway rotting away to nothing....  :Twocents:

Right, that's why that California (Barn Find) car is about as good as it gets  :2thumbs: The green one on eBay this week is rotten. Even the dash is discolored.  :slap: But better than sitting outdoors like so many  :Twocents:

68X426

Here's a whole herd of California Barn Survivors.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 21, 2011, 03:41:55 PM
Yes.

I could not have said it better myself.  :cheers:

bull

Sorry to get all philosophical here but I think a lot of this boils down to what amounts to either flat out lying or a combination of illiteracy, laziness and exaggeration. The meanings of words and terms is being dumbed down to the point they have little validity these days. Take the words "hate" and "bullying" that are being thrown around like confetti lately. Hate was meant to be a very strong word reserved for things like the way the Nazis viewed the Jews or to describe how the KKK feels about black people. But now if you disagree with someone or utter a contrary opinion you're almost immediately labeled a hater. And any more you can barely tell someone their shoe is untied without being accused of bullying.

So if you're a lazy illiterate person or a purposeful liar why not apply the same concept to selling, right? You start off with a literary punch in the face using words like "survivor" or barn find" to get people all wound up and looking at your ad and even if 90% of them are disappointed the remaining 10% will investigate further. These potential buyers might also be lazy illiterates, or they just really want a car, so because the seller used those buzzwords he probably gets more traffic to his ad than he hoped for. HLPAG did this all the time along with a copious abuse of exclamation points AND ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooter

Yep......It's just the newest, word of the day. Overused to describe Chargers that in most opinions, wouldn't fit the bill. "Survivor", "Barn Find", "Frame Off", all words used to help sell a POS....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

Quote from: bull on November 22, 2011, 03:55:29 AM
Sorry to get all philosophical here but I think a lot of this boils down to what amounts to either flat out lying or a combination of illiteracy, laziness and exaggeration. The meanings of words and terms is being dumbed down to the point they have little validity these days. Take the words "hate" and "bullying" that are being thrown around like confetti lately. Hate was meant to be a very strong word reserved for things like the way the Nazis viewed the Jews or to describe how the KKK feels about black people. But now if you disagree with someone or utter a contrary opinion you're almost immediately labeled a hater. And any more you can barely tell someone their shoe is untied without being accused of bullying.

So if you're a lazy illiterate person or a purposeful liar why not apply the same concept to selling, right? You start off with a literary punch in the face using words like "survivor" or barn find" to get people all wound up and looking at your ad and even if 90% of them are disappointed the remaining 10% will investigate further. These potential buyers might also be lazy illiterates, or they just really want a car, so because the seller used those buzzwords he probably gets more traffic to his ad than he hoped for. HLPAG did this all the time along with a copious abuse of exclamation points AND ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yesnod:

Quote from: Cooter on November 22, 2011, 06:41:27 AM
Yep......It's just the newest, word of the day. Overused to describe Chargers that in most opinions, wouldn't fit the bill. "Survivor", "Barn Find", "Frame Off", all words used to help sell a POS....
:iagree:
yeah thats another one  FRAME OFF !!!!!!   :shruggy:   :brickwall:    it amazes me  that the amount of time you still see that  word in a 68 -70 -71  mopar forsale adds   :shruggy:  & some of the dealers who put this are well established large places that have been going years , if you can believe all you read up on their  company info & stuff  :yesnod:  

all buzz words  to  hook potential lesser informed customers

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ACUDANUT

I quote : " Take the words "hate" and "bullying" that are being thrown around like confetti lately. Hate was meant to be a very strong word reserved for things like the way the Nazis viewed the Jews or to describe how the KKK feels about black people".   I will add the NAACP.  They have more rights than anyone one of us, and use the "Hate" word more than anyone.

Cooter

Funny how (Not to derail this thread,......BUT), the term "Bullying" got to be so over used in the school systems. Anytime a student is chastised by his/her classmates, they cry "Bullying"...

Back in my day, we had the worlds worse "Bullying". It usually came along with not only words, but the physical bruising as well. Sure, we went and did "The right thing" and told the teacher/Principal ONCE. That usually got us more of the same "Bullying".

We finally learned how to deal with bullying. It usually meant we met said "Bully" after school with about 6 friends and began to leave a few brusies of our own. "Bully" handled. Today, it isn't that way. Today, you'd be sued by said "Bully's" parents for assault, take your Father's/Mother's wages for the next 10 years, and court ordered to attend mandated "Anger management" classes.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Cooter on November 23, 2011, 01:06:20 AM
Funny how (Not to derail this thread,......BUT), the term "Bullying" got to be so over used in the school systems. Anytime a student is chastised by his/her classmates, they cry "Bullying"...

Back in my day, we had the worlds worse "Bullying". It usually came along with not only words, but the physical bruising as well. Sure, we went and did "The right thing" and told the teacher/Principal ONCE. That usually got us more of the same "Bullying".

We finally learned how to deal with bullying. It usually meant we met said "Bully" after school with about 6 friends and began to leave a few brusies of our own. "Bully" handled. Today, it isn't that way. Today, you'd be sued by said "Bully's" parents for assault, take your Father's/Mother's wages for the next 10 years, and court ordered to attend mandated "Anger management" classes.

:iagree:

Budnicks

Quote from: 68X426 on November 21, 2011, 04:51:58 PM
Here's a whole herd of California Barn Survivors.

:2thumbs: Yep that's what you can find in barns  :rofl:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

ACUDANUT

Being a Country Guy, Cows are usually not in the barn...The Barn is reserved for farm equipment and hay.