News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove paint from plastic grill?

Started by sixpack_sid, August 07, 2011, 05:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am working on the front grill of my 68 Charger and the black plastic has red paint on it. Anyone know a safe way to remove the paint without harming the plastic?

Thanks for the replies!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

E5 Charger

I used Easy Off oven cleaner, yellow can, on the plastic grill for my 74 and it removed the paint without harming the plastic. I sprayed the grill and put it in a garbage bag over night. In the morning I rinsed it off with water and scrubbed it a bit with a brush. Works great! It didn't take it all off, so I repeated the process. Do a search for "oven cleaner" and you will see a few threads on it. I think any other method will remove some of the plastic.

baullz

Quote from: E5 Charger on August 07, 2011, 10:52:32 PM
I used Easy Off oven cleaner, yellow can, on the plastic grill for my 74 and it removed the paint without harming the plastic. I sprayed the grill and put it in a garbage bag over night. In the morning I rinsed it off with water and scrubbed it a bit with a brush. Works great! It didn't take it all off, so I repeated the process. Do a search for "oven cleaner" and you will see a few threads on it. I think any other method will remove some of the plastic.

Yup, I did the same thing with my '69 grille and it works like a charm  :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

Good to know. Another product is soaking in Simple Green.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

sixpack_sid

The Easy Off worked great!!  :cheers:
Now that the black is clean, the silver looks dull and faded in spots. Has anyone painted the silver plastic on the grille? What kind of paint would be best to use? How do I prep the plastic surface?
Thanks for the help!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

bakerhillpins

Sid

Have you checked out the Charger grille restoration database thread stickied at the top of this forum. I suspect all of these questions and more will be answered in there.

:cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

jonda99

Since I was doing a complete fix and repaint, I walnut shell blasted the stubborn parts.  It took the previous owners crappy repaint off, but left quite a but of the factory paint on. 

mpdlawdog

"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

ODZKing

I have used Easy Off on many items simply to clean the grease off.  Engine and parts ... works great.
Be careful to buy the one that does NOT have lye in it.
Spry it on the engine, wait a but and wipe it off ... just like the oven.   :2thumbs:

sixpack_sid

I got it painted! I used SEM Black Trim and SEM Titanium Bumper paint. Thanks for the help!

E5 Charger

ODZKing