News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

You've heard of a barn raising...

Started by bull, October 13, 2011, 03:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Well this one was raised up about knee high and carried 115 feet by 350 volunteers. :o

In 1981, Herman Ostry and his wife, Donna, bought a farm a half mile outside of Bruno, Nebraska, a small community sixty miles west of Omaha. The property had a creek and came with a barn built in the 1920's. The barn floor was always wet and muddy. When the creek flooded in 1988, the barn ended up with 29 inches of water covering the floor. That was the last straw. Ostry needed to move it to higher ground.

On July 30, 1988, shortly before 11 a.m., a quick test lift was successfully made. Then, as local television cameras and 4,000 people from eleven states watched, 350 people moved the barn 115 feet south and 6 feet higher up a gentle slope and set it on its new foundation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83W0gj_CRE

no318

That is not far from me.  It was a pretty big deal.

PocketThunder

Holy Cow!   :o

Now, being a Contruction Estimator by trade, i wonder how many man hours they had into preping that barn for the lift + the peoples time to move it.  VS.  The man hours to build a new one.... .??
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RallyeMike

Pretty cool to see a community come together like that.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

skip68

That was cool.     :cheers:   
Thanks Bull. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ponch ®

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 13, 2011, 08:29:20 AM

Now, being a Contruction Estimator by trade, i wonder how many man hours they had into preping that barn for the lift + the peoples time to move it.  VS.  The man hours to build a new one.... .??

probably besides the point for them. Kinda like how some non-car people don't understand why we spend so much time and money on old cars instead of just buying a new one...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 13, 2011, 01:03:29 PM

probably besides the point for them. Kinda like how some non-car people don't understand why we spend so much time and money on old cars instead of just buying a new one...

Whatever it cost it was evidentally a lot less than hiring a company to move it, according to some other info I read on it.

Tilar

That's pretty cool.

Roughly 50 lbs per person. Hell if they could move that barn they could probably move Rosie O'Fatass.  :lol:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

1969chargerrtse

Pretty cool.  Some people were just walking along, not really lifting.  :slap:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

sunfire69

Plus...the labor was free.....and no materiels needed for a new barn..and a perfectly usable barn...( just in the wrong place) was reused...and wasn't simply wasted.....

Musicman

That's great Bull! Old fashioned American Ingenuity and Community at it's best... Thanks for posting :2thumbs:

stripedelete

It also illustrates that most barns are deceivingly light. (minus the slate roof)