News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice regarding work rights

Started by 69bronzeT5, October 12, 2011, 06:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Hi everyone. Need some advice please. I work full time Monday- Friday as a parts driver for a Honda dealership. Or shall I say worked. I got fired today for a reason completley out of my control. I'll explain some back history. Since I've started I've had issues with my manager (parts manager) because apperentley I'm too slow with deliveries. The parts department is extremely busy and there are usually a lot of deliveries. I deliver all of the lower mainland of B.C (usually put on 400km's a day). My manager has these set delivery times which are completley unrealistic. I work very quick and take my job seriously. In the 2 months I've worked there, I have only taken ONE lunch break because of how busy I am. These delivery time frames he has set are not do-able most days unless I do 160Km/h, drive people off the road and am driving my Magnum :lol: However, I stick to the speed limit (I usually go a little over), drive safe and drive a 6000lbs Nissan delivery van. Numerous people I've talked to have said these delivery time frames are not possible either. I also go drop off to drop off and do no extra stops. I even wrote down exactly what time I left each place. The reason I got fired is in exact wording "they are going a different way with the parts driving and doing something more efficent". I'm really not sure what to do. I worked my ass off, did the best job humanly possible and yet this guy says it's not good enough. I've even had daily customers tell me I deserve a raise and I'm the best parts driver they've had. I've left a message for the general manager of the dealership to call me. I'm not sure what else I can do. Any ideas?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

nvrbdn

tough call cody, but if the man actually answers you, mabey you can have a rerun of your actual delivery day set up with him riding along to show him what you do and he can time it. :shruggy: (if you love the job that is). at least make sure the manager/owner knows you took your job seriously and worked/drove safely as it will at least help if you move on and need a good word from him for your next job.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

stripedelete

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 12, 2011, 06:24:31 PM
tough call cody, but if the man actually answers you, mabey you can have a rerun of your actual delivery day set up with him riding along to show him what you do and he can time it. :shruggy: (if you love the job that is). at least make sure the manager/owner knows you took your job seriously and worked/drove safely as it will at least help if you move on and need a good word from him for your next job.
+1 good advice  :2thumbs:

Tilar

I'm not sure how it is in Canada but in the USA, the reason he gave you for letting you go is not something you have control over. Basically since he said "they are going a different way with the parts driving and doing something more efficient" to me it sounds like they are eliminating the job.  In other words it's not your fault and if Canada has rules that are similar to the US rules, the dealership will have a hard time denying you unemployment compensation.

The main problem with unemployment is your 2 months service time. In the USA you have to have 6 months employment to be able to file, BUT you can also use time from a previous employer to make up your 6 months work history.

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 12, 2011, 06:24:31 PM

Definitley would be worth a try unless they are really doing something different for deliveries.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69bronzeT5

I just found a Craigslist listing for the job.....posted on October 3rd. ::)

69bronzeT5

I just have a hard time swallowing the pill. I can understand letting me go if I was being slow and taking extra stops and not doing my job properly however the fact I worked my ass off and did my job as best as I humanly could and still being fired doesn't sit right with me.

Chryco Psycho

This has been my life experience , welcome to canaduh , you work your ass off do the best job possible & there not only no appreciation they fire you for it or tell you to "get off your ass & earn the paycheck " [My last job ]
use the best people you have a references & get a job with some one better to work for if you can actually find a decent boss . After 70+ jobs I have had about 4 good people to work for

rt green

well, you'll be pissed for awhile. in the working world you will have your ups and downs. chalk it up as experience. but don't let it get you down. you'll get something you like. just keep trying. try a bodyshop or a machine shop. you know, something you can learn a trade from. you probably didn't plan on delivering parts the rest of your life anyways. maybe you made some connections from the delivery job. if you did, maybe you could use them.if not for a job, maybe a reference.  my 2 cents.  Bruce
third string oil changer

Orange_Crush

You got fired, dude.  For whatever reason...good or bad...you got fired. 

No one likes getting shitcanned, but I would say that the vast majority of members on this board have experienced it.  Go get yourself an education and aim a little higher than a parts delivery guy.  You seem to have a brain in your head, put it to good use.

Acknowledge...and move on. 
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

RallyeMike

What are you going to do about it? Convince them to rehire you? Then you are stuck in the same crappy situation. Just move on.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Old Moparz

It's very simple, get used to working for a-holes or you'll be disappointed during most of your life.   :lol:

It won't change unless you get lucky & actually end up someplace where management knows what they are doing & know when they have a decent employee that they should treat decently. When I was in college I had a delivery job that ran 200 miles a day. Typical stereotype of the average business owner, he was a tight-wad, expected everyone that worked there to be thankful he paid minimum wage & never have an idea that may make things run more efficiently.

Also, there were two customers who would complain no matter what time I arrived & made it worse. I reversed my route to shut them up & they bitched that I was too early & that they weren't ready for the delivery. In turn they'd constantly gripe to the salesman, who in turn complained to the boss that I was goofing off somewhere. I was mad as hell after getting an earful about how I took too long so I had each customer write down the time I arrived when they signed the ticket.

I showed the boss the times on the sheets & again he bitched & said that they should be more uniform time frames between stops. I asked how that was possible since some places were 5 miles apart & some 50 miles?  :shruggy:  He didn't answer me because he knew he was the boss. ::)

Use the a-hole you worked for as an incentive to do better for yourself.   :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TK73

File your unemployment (or Canada's equivalent), chalk this up to experience... Move the F on.

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Budnicks

I worked for automotive dealerships & a large dealership group F.A.A. & H.G. Automotive for 20+ years as a Facilities Manager & Construction Coordinator Consultant until 1996... I think parts dept managers were probably some of the best guys working & to deal with at the dealerships, that I was exposed to, they are in a high pressure position, have to meet a bottom line for, outside wholesale/jobber/cost sales, shop service, & interior car sales flooring parts, they get pulled from all directions... The unemployment thing really sucks, file if your due the benefits I guess,  but I would go out & look for work right away, don't just sit around & expect someone else {or the govt.} to support you on the systems back, unless you can't get any work, then you have to do what you can to survive... The problem is they have the right to fire, lay you off or get rid of you especially if it's a non-union shop {you didn't say either way} & you were only there for 2 months, did they warn you previously about being slow ? or give you delivery expectations that you agreed to ?, most dealerships probably have a longer probation period than 2 months, for new hires anyway, in my experiences, at least the 1's I have worked with, 125 on the West cost, California, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona...  I worked construction mainly in 1 aspect or another for many years, I had to do the unemployment deal almost every winter, before I started my own company, I didn't really care for it at all... If you have a special skill set, how about starting your own business & then you are the 1 who has the power & be in charge or  for making the bottom line to keep the doors open, you will find some long lost respect for business owners & managers issues, when it comes to employees & the bottom line... I have never met an employee that didn't think they were under paid, or an owner that didn't complain about labor costs...  Good luck, don't get too down on yourself, or do anything you may regret latter...  Happy job hunting aim high...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Budnicks on October 12, 2011, 08:26:39 PM
did they warn you previously about being slow?

Yes. However, as I said there was nothing I could do. I worked my ass off, gave 110% percent, always got all the deliveries done. However, most days it was just too busy to stick to the manager's delivery time frame. His time frames were very unrealistic.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Orange_Crush on October 12, 2011, 07:15:20 PM

No one likes getting shitcanned, but I would say that the vast majority of members on this board have experienced it.  Go get yourself an education and aim a little higher than a parts delivery guy.  You seem to have a brain in your head, put it to good use.

+1

These days - more than ever

Budnicks

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 12, 2011, 09:10:43 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on October 12, 2011, 08:26:39 PM
did they warn you previously about being slow?

Yes. However, as I said there was nothing I could do. I worked my ass off, gave 110% percent, always got all the deliveries done. However, most days it was just too busy to stick to the manager's delivery time frame. His time frames were very unrealistic.
I'm sure traffic conditions could make deliveries hard to get done on a specific schedule, I delivered Ice, for Union Ice Delivery Co. while  going to school for some extra $$$'s when I was younger, it was tough to deal with S.F. Bay area bumper to bumper traffic issues & get all my deliveries done on a unrealistic schedule, it had a short shelf life as you could imagine... Just take it in as a learning experience & try to get another job, some were else or even a different job at the same dealership, there are tons of different kind of jobs to be done at dealerships, as I'm sure your aware of... The owners or GM may look at it as, your willing to work at anything, Maybe worth a try...

TK73

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 12, 2011, 09:18:30 PM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on October 12, 2011, 07:15:20 PM

+1

These days - more than ever

There ya go, get papers.  I had my share of crappy, minimum-wage, dirty jobs with bosses who thought I should devote my life to the company.  SUCKED.
Got University papers and now get respect in a good paying professional career.

nvrbdn

my boy just got a delivery job at napa and loves it. plus they are teaching him the counter so there is a possibility of advancement. alot of the part stores do delivery, so if you enjoy that type of job, your field can be large. you already know the area.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Darkman

Here in Aus, it is basically 3 strikes and you're out. However, if you are fired based on a reason such as "down sizing", "going in a different direction" etc, and they replace you with someone else immediately (or even advertise for the role), then you have grounds to lodge for unfair dismissal. Either way no-one is a real winner, if you are successful in getting your job back, then it will be made as difficult as possible for you the employee and you will probably leave shortly afterwards anyway, or the company loses out.

I would take this opportunity and look for something else, and as was said talk to the places you delivered to and built up a relationship with. You never know, they may have something better for you or atleast know of somebody who does.

Don't delay though, the longer you leave it, the harder it will be!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Vainglory, Esq.

Chryco Psycho

I have to agree with getting an education , there is no day that goes by I do not regret it , I would have run up huge student loans to do it , but you have a lot of time to pay it back , what do you do at 50 ? go to school for 4 years , I would be past 60 before I got the loans paid back !! Far easier to do it now while you are young !

BigBlackDodge

"going in a different direction"

fired you.............and hired a relative needing a job. :scratchchin:

BBD

Dino

One more vote for going back to school.

I was a body man for over 15 years, quit and got into health care.  Now at 37 I'm a certified orthotic fitter and am going back to school to get a master's in orthotics and prosthetics.  I still love the trade I learned but it's much more fun on the weekend than doing it 5 days a week for a meager paycheck. 

Get a degree, go make some dough and have fun! 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Dino on October 13, 2011, 07:33:33 AM
Now at 37 I'm a certified orthotic fitter and am going back to school to get a master's in orthotics and prosthetics. 

OH SHIT!!!  Its the Ice Truck Killer!!!  (Obscure "Dexter" reference).
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Dino

Quote from: Orange_Crush on October 13, 2011, 08:52:06 AM
Quote from: Dino on October 13, 2011, 07:33:33 AM
Now at 37 I'm a certified orthotic fitter and am going back to school to get a master's in orthotics and prosthetics. 

OH SHIT!!!  Its the Ice Truck Killer!!!  (Obscure "Dexter" reference).

Not to worry, I'm an ice cream killer but it doesn't get any worse than that!  Great show btw.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ChgrSteve67

Everything happens for a reason.
I'm sure there is something better out there waiting for you Cody.

I delivered freight for 10 years and loved it but moved on to an electrinics trade school and finally computers.
Much better to use your head for a living and it pays a lot better!

-Steve

Magnumcharger

You're a smart guy Cody. Maybe losing this crap job isn't the end of the world, but an opportunity to try something different. I know your desire is to live and work in your homeland, but unless you have schooling in a trade you'll be doing these crappy jobs until you do.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

NHCharger

Another vote here to move on and get an education.
My oldest boy spent three years in college before he decided to drop out and become an electrician. I was pissed at him for doing that but he didn't want to be a desk jockey. He now has his journeyman's license and will have his Masters in one more year. He said the the three years he did spend in college will help him when he starts his own business.
I spent 1 1/2 years in college studying accounting. ( I'm also a college drop out). But that year and a half was a huge help when I had my own construction company for 20 years.
If your not sure what you want to do try a few night courses. If your goal is to have your own body or repair shop some courses in business management is a good way to go.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Fred

A good education wins by a mile. How many people in latter life have looked back and wished they'd done it better!
There are no second chances so go for it while yiou can.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Ahhh Cody.. This is what's called the old "Freeze out". I too was in your shoes 20 years ago when I was sh*tcanned for "Doing nothing wrong". This is the world we live in today. Kids come out of school today unaware of things like this that do happen. I work for an arrogant, selfish, drunk who drinks on the freakin' job, Bitches all the time about the stupidest sh*t and when called on it, blames you for even daring to speak up. If it weren't for the money, I'd be long gone. I've been threatened to be fired numerous times. Like it causes him physical pain to be nice or something.

Don't expect this to be an isolated incident either. This will happen over and over. Maybe they hired you and found out you like Ozzy/Metal music and that was enough for someone to want you gone? Maybe they hired you and the managers Cousin/nephew whatever, wanted the job?
Whatever the reason, forge ahead, as in the USA, it is illeagal to give a bad reference when an employer calls, so move on and just understand this is the "New Economy"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Magnumcharger

Lets see...jobs I got fired from:
a. Working as a Zamboni driver, I showed up early for work and took a shower in a locker room (I just came from a gym). A hockey player saw me coming out of the changing room after the shower and demanded to know why I was in there. I told him I worked there..not good enough I guess, as he bitched to my boss and I was gone!
b. I worked as an apprentice carpenter, got "laid off" as the owner of the company wanted to re-hire his best friend!
c. Worked as a welder, saw the foreman ripping off the company blind...so I called the cops. Afterwhich, he had me canned. Makes sense I guess.
d. Worked as a heavy equipment operator...for my own Brother-in-law. He "laid me off" after only a month, as he said the work wasn't there. The very next week he hired another guy.
e. Worked as an Autobody mechanic at a Chevrolet dealership. Did mostly all of the crappy paint removal on the warranty claims that were coming in. Got "laid off" after a couple of months as we pretty well refinished all of the cars in the area.
f. Worked as a gas station attendant, got "fired" as I refused to work the day of my High School grad party.
g. Worked as a house painter...got "laid off" after I wouldn't give my boss sexual favors...yeah, a big lebanese guy. Yuk!
h. Worked at a fast food joint, got "laid off" after I caught pneumonia and missed two weeks of work (I was in the hospital).
i. Another gas station job, got "laid off" so the boss could hire his nephew.

Add to this another bunch of crap jobs I quit just because the working conditions were brutal!

So you see, a whole lot of terminations from crappy jobs mostly because I didn't get a post-secondary education.
The good news is: I got educated (finally!) and have an occupation that is recession proof, pays very well and the employers (good ones) contact me to see if I'd work for them!

If only I'd known about this when I was 19...I'd be a millionaire now. :yesnod:

BigBlackDodge

g. Worked as a house painter...got "laid off" after I wouldn't give my boss sexual favors...yeah, a big lebanese guy. Yuk!

I wish a had never read that! :eek2:

BBD

TK73

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 14, 2011, 12:54:16 PM

BBD

:rofl:  Probably could have gone far with that company!!

moparstuart

Quote from: TK73 on October 14, 2011, 01:14:18 PM
Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 14, 2011, 12:54:16 PM

BBD

:rofl:  Probably could have gone far with that company!!
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TheGhost

g. Worked as a house painter...got "laid off" after I wouldn't give my boss sexual favors...yeah, a big lebanese guy. Yuk

So, what you're saying is, if he'd been decent looking, you'd have done it?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Magnumcharger

Hmmm...I guess I left myself wide open here for a bit of humor, so well done you guys!
But since you guys chose to ignore everything else I wrote, I guess I'll elaborate a bit.

It was my first summer job at the age of 14. The contractor was some guy up from Rhode Island using local help. I was recommended to him by a friend of my parents. Supposedly, because he was a very respected Christian, he was supposed to be trustworthy.
It was my first time dealing with an American and a Baptist. I'm not sure how this correlates to him being a pedophile or a homosexual, but let's just say he was something I'd never encountered before or since.

That being said, maybe I just wasn't prepared for how business is transacted in the States, or the christian community for that matter. Either way, I'm not gay, American or Christian , so what do I know?

Budnicks

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 14, 2011, 05:47:18 PM
Hmmm...I guess I left myself wide open here for a bit of humor, so well done you guys!
But since you guys chose to ignore everything else I wrote, I guess I'll elaborate a bit.

It was my first summer job at the age of 14. The contractor was some guy up from Rhode Island using local help. I was recommended to him by a friend of my parents. Supposedly, because he was a very respected Christian, he was supposed to be trustworthy.
It was my first time dealing with an American and a Baptist. I'm not sure how this correlates to him being a pedophile or a homosexual, but let's just say he was something I'd never encountered before or since.

That being said, maybe I just wasn't prepared for how business is transacted in the States, or the christian community for that matter. Either way, I'm not gay, American or Christian , so what do I know?
The guy would be considered a "big douche bag" from what ever country your from, baptist, American,  christian or not...

Back N Black

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 14, 2011, 05:47:18 PM

So, you got boned out of a job? or never got boned on the Job? either way it sucks.  :D

kab69440

Cody, after 27 years of endless hours of hard labor in innumerable crapholes  in 5 counties, I leave you with this one bit of  wisdom and truth:
Nothing you ever do will ever be enough to please anyone.
You will never hear:
"Hey, thanks for getting that taken care of for us! We really appreciate the extra effort!"  That's how it is. Deal with it. Nothing you have done, nothing you have given, nothing you have sacrificed matters. The only things that do matter are how much more you could do, how little compensation you will accept for doing it. That is how it is. I'm sorry to say it, and wish I had something more positive to add.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

73rallye440magnum

Alright... Cody,

Though I'm only a few years older than you, I recognize your situation.
I'm 23. In my second semester. Married. Mortgage. Baby on the way. Commuting 45 miles each way to the University.
Best decision I have ever made in my life.
Although on the surface this scenario may not seem life changing, you have the power to turn it into something extraordinary.
Ask yourself what kind of life you want to live...

I'm not going to give you advice on work rights. Let's bypass the BS.

I'll repeat what other have stated. (The best advice you will EVER recieve)

Go to a University. Give THAT 110%. Reap the benefits for the rest of your life.

PM me if you're feeling unsure.

I'm in Academic Honor Society. If I can pull it off in my situation, why can't you?
Yesterday would have been a great day to get started.

Make the most of your life. You're capable of it. You owe it to yourself (and others, actually...)

Good Luck, friend  :yesnod:

Jake
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Magnumcharger

nh_mopar_fan

Just an FYI, it is NOT illegal to give a negative reference. That's absurd.  :smilielol:

I wouldn't give one for the simple reason that even if the employee was a lazy deadbeat, they could come back and sue me if they could somehow prove that me telling their next prospective employer the truth cost them getting the job.

So, when asked about any detail on an ex employee, rather than say anything negative, employers will basically just say that they confirm that they employed the person and say nothing more. The hiring employer usually gets the message.  ;)

That said, take the good advice you're getting, move on. Contrary to what you hear, not all employers are scum of the earth. Things happen for a reason and you'll find yourself in a better place at the end of it all.

Get an education. You empower yourself.

stripedelete

Cody

These guys are spot-on about the education.  My education provided me with some great jobs and some great pay.  But, I no matter what, I always seemed to run into a plumber that made more than I did.    :Twocents:

TheGhost

In all seriousness, go to college.  I just turned 26, and regret that I dropped out.  In fact, I plan on going back next year, fixing my mistake.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

hemi-hampton

Been in your situation many times. The boss's like there butt kissed. Say one wrong word to them they don't like & next thing you know your gone for no apparent reason & some lame excuse. Only good advise I could give is stay way far away from the body shops , bodywork, auto painting busniness. I've been in 20 different body shops & 9 out of 10 have totally sucked with the boss's being the biggest low life scumbag scammers anywhere. Just my experiance. No Insult intended to the other 10%.  LEON.