News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AN fittings what size ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, October 11, 2011, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

What size fuel  line would you use to run from the fuel cell to the fuel pump.  I am after a solid connection ,not rubber hose with clamps.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

heyoldguy

How far is the pump from the fuel cell? How far from the pump to the regulator? Regulator to the carburetor? How much horsepower are you feeding?

Chryco Psycho

Rolling_Thunder

AN fittings....      take the -# and put it over 16...    this gives you the tube size...         

-3          3/16"
-4          1/4"
-6          3/8"
-8          1/2"
-10         5/8"
-12         3/4"
-14         7/8"
-16         1"

to answer your question = I would run -6AN  ==   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69charger440

Its going to depend on your fuel needs. I am going to run 10AN to my pump, thats for 950 HP with fuel injection! Whats your horse power?
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

bobs66440

-6 is ok for average street use. -8 will work for most racing applications up to, say, 700 hp or so. -10 over that. Better to go too big than too small. I would go min. -8 from fuel tank to pump.

firefighter3931

What size line from pump to carb ?

Ideally, you want one size larger on the suction side vs the discharge side to prevent cavitation.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Highbanked Hauler

The motor is a 440  steel crank, steel heads with mild porting and was "told" it is 12-1 CR.  and was a;also told this is (speculated) to turn 500 plus HP.. I  My idea is to run E-85 as this will be limited use. I PLAN to use a NASCAR fuel cell, a mechanical pump( which I have a problem finding one for alcohol)  and don't have a carb yet ..  ANY knowledgeable input  is appreciated as I want to do it right the first time.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

bobs66440

Be careful what fuel cell you run with E-85. Not all filler foam plays nice with alcohol. You will need an alcohol specific cell.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: bobs66440 on October 12, 2011, 11:38:40 AM
Be careful what fuel cell you run with E-85. Not all filler foam plays nice with alcohol. You will need an alcohol specific cell.

Thats what I understand and also probably the liner too.  I have yet to see a fuel pump that is OK with alcohol either.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

flyinlow

Are you going to run AN hose from the tank to the engine?  Thats a lot of hose to watch. Metal lines might be safer.   :Twocents:

I run 3/8" metal to with AN 6 where I need flexible. Carter street pump on a mild build 446 (470hp?)

flyinlow

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 12, 2011, 10:15:42 AM

Ideally, you want one size larger on the suction side vs the discharge side to prevent cavitation.  :yesnod:

Ron

:scratchchin:   Interesting, I will keep that in mind,next time I replace the suction line.

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on October 12, 2011, 08:09:45 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 12, 2011, 10:15:42 AM

Ideally, you want one size larger on the suction side vs the discharge side to prevent cavitation.  :yesnod:

Ron

:scratchchin:   Interesting, I will keep that in mind,next time I put replace the suction line.

That rule applies to electric pumps only....mechanical pumps are fine with the same size suction & discharge lines.  ;)

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 12, 2011, 11:06:29 AM
 The motor is a 440  steel crank, steel heads with mild porting and was "told" it is 12-1 CR.  and was a;also told this is (speculated) to turn 500 plus HP.. I  My idea is to run E-85 as this will be limited use. I PLAN to use a NASCAR fuel cell, a mechanical pump( which I have a problem finding one for alcohol)  and don't have a carb yet ..  ANY knowledgeable input  is appreciated as I want to do it right the first time.

If you're planning to run E-85 just be aware that the fuel system needs to be upsized significantly. That type of fuel requires a 30% increase in volume so you will be consuming more fuel and the fuel system needs to be able to supply it  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Highbanked Hauler

NONE of this is done yet and the fuel cell I am looking at is a JAZ  22 Gal. with  AN 8 fittings.. When it is done the fuel line will be well protected..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

flyinlow

Remember the line Robert Duval said in Days of Thunder, thinking outloud as he planned Cole Trickles race car " I am goin"a built you with a fuel line that holds an extra gallon of gas" ..... so I guess bigger is better.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: flyinlow on October 14, 2011, 05:31:03 PM
Remember the line Robert Duval said in Days of Thunder, thinking outloud as he planned Cole Trickles race car " I am goin"a built you with a fuel line that holds an extra galion of gas" ..... so I guess bigger is better.

:smilielol: :smilielol:  Yea, I remember that line.. :2thumbs:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser