News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Filling your gas tank

Started by 66FBCharger, October 10, 2011, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I am having a problem filling my gas tank on my '69. The last three times I filled the tank, the pump didn't shut off until gas was spilling out all over the side of the car. Is there a trick to prevent this or is something wrong with my Charger (plugged vent or something)? Is there certain stations that might have better nozzles than others? I believe that the times I had issues were all at  Mobil stations (different stations).
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

jar1292

my thoughts came to the conclusion that the nozzles are made for new cars with a small nozzle hole that is supposed to create a back pressure and shut off the valve. my 2 motorcycles have the same problem you have to stay by its side and shut it off by hand... :Twocents:
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

Dino

Mine does the same, best way I find is to stick the nozzle in so that the rubber seal on the nozzle covers the opening, then pull it back only slightly to break the air seal.  When I don't the pump will shut off before the tank is full which of course will prevent gas flying up but by slightly pulling it back it seems to work fine.  Definitely don't have only half the nozzle stick in like modern cars or you'll have gas flying everywhere.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RKCHARGER

Might be a long shot but I find that actually paying attention helps.... :slap:    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Dino

Quote from: RKCHARGER on October 10, 2011, 01:55:41 PM
Might be a long shot but I find that actually paying attention helps.... :slap:    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I'd agree but I'm either too busy arguing with people that these cars never came with a 440 hemi or I'm politely trying to explain why I didn't paint it orange.   :D

69charger2002

every time i fill up my car i do the "listen" technique. when it gets to that last gallon there is a distinct sound change and i know it's getting close. i kind of do the "top off" method from there until i can start to see the gas. i've never spilled a drop. i am sure that would get old for a daily driver charger, but as seldomly as i fill up my charger, it's not that much of an inconvenience.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

RKCHARGER

1969chargerrtse

There's another thread about this. Common problem. Happens to my 69 also. I slow the speed down as I know it's getting full.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

68X426

What you all complaining about?  :hah:

Try filling a Road Runner with the tube behind the license plate, the plate on a loaded spring, the tube opening is level with the ground and about 18 inches high. Usually in the rain. It is a challenge and one-half. What the F was Plymouth thinking.

I'm ready to add a Charger tube to the quarter panel.  :lol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Dino

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 10, 2011, 02:48:41 PM
There's another thread about this. Common problem. Happens to my 69 also. I slow the speed down as I know it's getting full.

I should fix my fuel gauge so I can guesstimate when it'll be full.  Right now the gauge only reads 3/4 full when topped off.

I'd do the listening trick but the station I usually go to has oldies playing all the time.

HANDM

Same thing with the Cuda.......why didn't they simply hinge it on the top  :eek2:

tommymac

Thats funny mine reads 3/4 when full also and i do the listening to the gurgles to stop,that works to prevent a mess.

Tilar

Quote from: 68X426 on October 10, 2011, 02:59:42 PM

Try filling a Road Runner with the tube behind the license plate, the plate on a loaded spring, the tube opening is level with the ground and about 18 inches high. Usually in the rain. It is a challenge and one-half. What the F was Plymouth thinking.

Thats the same way my 73 Charger is.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

super77se

most people are having a hard time understanding why im pumping gas into my trunk lol

jb666

Quote from: 69charger2002 on October 10, 2011, 02:08:23 PM
every time i fill up my car i do the "listen" technique. when it gets to that last gallon there is a distinct sound change and i know it's getting close. i kind of do the "top off" method from there until i can start to see the gas. i've never spilled a drop. i am sure that would get old for a daily driver charger, but as seldomly as i fill up my charger, it's not that much of an inconvenience.

I do the same.. I put my ear close to the nozzle and listen for the "gurgling" sounds.. When it SOUNDS like it's had enough, I round it to the nearest .25 and quit..

skip68

Hahaha, I do the same thing.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

BrianShaughnessy

NY outlawed the hold open latch on pump handles....    so you have to actually pay attention.   

I usually fill it at a slow to medium rate anyhow.   You can hear it coming up the fill tube,   by then it's too late if you're trying to fill it fast.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

flyinlow

I always try to slow down when it's getting close. If my wife is with me she will sometimes squeeze the hose right below the nozzle which helps prevent accidental spills.    :

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 10, 2011, 08:02:14 PM

NY outlawed the hold open latch on pump handles....    so you have to actually pay attention.   

...I keep a block in my car(s) to hold the handle "on" - so when I go to "one of those stations" I can still multitask  :cheers:

FLG

Quote from: Tilar on October 10, 2011, 04:06:41 PM
Quote from: 68X426 on October 10, 2011, 02:59:42 PM

Thats the same way my 73 Charger is.

Yep same here, countless times i grab the nozzle before opening the cap and than have to open the plate, and hold it up with my knee....why couldnt they make it flip down.

wingcar

I have a hard time seeing when the gas gets towards the top of the filler neck on my '70 Daytona clone....must be all the tears in my eyes as I watch the dollar scale on the pump spin twice as fast as the gallon scale................  :cryin:

No problems with the '08 Challenger SRT8.......gas goes in the filler tube and comes out the exhaust!!!   :icon_smile_big:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

71charger

thats weird..... I have a 71 and when I fill her all the way up it shuts off for me
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

ACUDANUT

I just filled up my 70 Charger.  It clicked off okay.

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow