News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering column removal

Started by joww3, January 17, 2006, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joww3

Hi, I need you all's help again, I need to remove or drop the steering column on my 71 charger so I can pull the whole dash off the car, I know I need to remove the bolts which hold the column to the dash and the bolts on the firewall next to the brake padel. My question is after I remove these bolts, does the column pull straight out of the power steering box, or does it drop down so I can rest it on the car floor? do I need to do anything on the steering box? thank you for the help.

joe

WM23N1

I think theres a pin you have to knock out that holds the column to the box. Then it should come straight out. Im sure someone has a picture of what you need to look for,
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

Daytona R/T SE

Here's a tip: Remove the roll pin before you take the column loose from the dash, If you take it loose from the dash first, it puts the pin in a bind, making it nearly impossible to remove....much cursing and frustration will ensue.....don't ask how I know this.... ::)

joww3

thank you for clearing things up for me, I'll go out to see I can get that pin off.

dodgecharger-fan

You'll need a drift punch that fits just inside the hole. 1/4 inch I think, but don't hold me to that.

Edit: i just went out into the garage and checked - It's 1/4 inch punch.

joww3

this is going to be tougher than I thought, I saw that 1/4" pin (I think), it is at the end of the column right next to the steering box. Is this pin reuseable? can I get a replacement in a hardware store? to remove this pin, do I just hammer it out? thanks again.

WM23N1

Its easy to remove and you can reuse it. I have.Just get a hammer and a punch or a screwdriver you dont care about and go at it.
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

joww3

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll get my hammer and punch out, and go at it.