News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

nss switch

Started by sixpack_sid, October 09, 2011, 10:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

Im trying to finallly get my 68 Charger started and I'm having a tough time. It won't crank over. I get nothing. I don't even hear the starter click. My engine & trans is a 440 from a 77 NYer. At the NSS switch on the trans I have the 3 prong circular plug with 3 wires on it. I hooked a wire to the middle prong and ran it to the starter relay as shown on the wiring diagram. Now the 2 other prongs I let unhooked. I don't know where to hook them to. Is this causing my no start problem? Where do i hook them up to? Or could I jump the wires to get it started?
I'm itchin to hear her run!! Please help!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Chryco Psycho

at the start relay you will have 2 small wires , 1 is yellow [power wire ] & the second is brown [ground wire to the NSS]
either you do not have power to the yellow wire or the brown wire is not grounding in the trans , all you need to do is ground the brown wire to the mounting screw for the relay & it should crank over if you have power to the yellow wire , if ther is no power to the yellow wire you can jump the power on the relay from the 1/2 nut terminal to the yellow terminal or the larger brown wire terminal on the relay & it will turn over .
the two outside wires on the NSS are the power in& out for the reverse lights

sixpack_sid

I put a light tester on the yellow & brown wires at the starter relay. There is no power going to either wire. I did it with the key on & off, nothing. I only have the middle wire on the NSS switch hooked up. It's going to the ground on the starter relay. I don't have the other 2 wires to the BU lights hooked up. Also, the fron lamp harness is not hooked up either. Does that make a difference? I'm still getting nothing when I turn on the key.
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixpack_sid

I noticed on my Bulkhead the plug that plugs into the top row of the bulkhead (A,B,C,D on diagram below) has no wires coming out of it. The diagram shows that 2 wires go back to the NSS and the other 2 go to the AC, which I do not have. The bottom part of the plug (E,F,G,H) plug into the wiper motors. Is this my problem? Is this plug included in the NSS wiring harness? I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle or I have the wrong piece.
Please help!

Chryco Psycho

the yellow wire will only have power in the start position
I will look into the diagram in the morning

68neverlate

Quote from: sixpack_sid on October 09, 2011, 08:42:59 PM
I noticed on my Bulkhead the plug that plugs into the top row of the bulkhead (A,B,C,D on diagram below) has no wires coming out of it. The diagram shows that 2 wires go back to the NSS and the other 2 go to the AC, which I do not have. The bottom part of the plug (E,F,G,H) plug into the wiper motors. Is this my problem? Is this plug included in the NSS wiring harness? I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle or I have the wrong piece.
Please help!

I have a '68 as well, although I have a two pronged nuetral safety switch (they changed these in the middle of the '68 production run).  My electrical diagram shows spares at A,B and backup lights for a manual transmission (ie: if you have an auto trans, these would also not be used).  So from what I can see, if you have an suto trans, you should have nothing coming out of A - D on this connector... 

sixpack_sid

I spoke with Bill @ Evans Wiring and he's sending me a NSS harness. He also said that the car would not start without it. 2 of the 3 wires have to be hooked up for the car to start-he wasn't sure which 2. Hopefully, this will work!
Thanks for the replies!!

nascarxx29

Yes you can start with out a NSS .If you know how to bypass it

The 2 wires with the push on terminals on the lower edge of relay .One is yellow from the Ignition .The other terminal is the neutral safety switch.which goes back to the transmission.If you choose to bypass the neutral safety switch as you got nothing happening when you turn the key.Just ground that terminal with a piece of wire .Be aware with a automatic it will now start in every gear.And on a 4 speed you wont need to push in the clutch.While bypassed
Note you want the yellow wire on the slanted terminal.And neutral safety switch on the other terminal

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

sixpack_sid

I just got the NSS harness from Evans. Now I have a question? The round 3 prong plug that goes into the trans looks like it can plug in either way. Is there a specific way it goes in? Do the wires go toward the top of the plug or the bottom of the plug? Also the 2 wires that split off of the harness & go into the bulk head are 1) Black  2nd) Black & White-which prong goes on which terminal? My wiring diagram shows 1) black 2nd) violet. Is black & White the substitute for the violet wire?
And the plug that plugs into the bulkhead has no slot to plug it into the terminal. Can I put a slice in the plug to get it to go in?
I tried calling Evans, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.
Need help so I can hear this baby purr this weekend!
Thanks!
Sid

John_Kunkel

The outer terminals are for the backup lights so it doesn't matter how the plug is clocked.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 14, 2011, 06:10:24 PM

The outer terminals are for the backup lights so it doesn't matter how the plug is clocked.

OK. Thanks.

sixpack_sid

I got the NSS harness hooked up and she still won't fire. I started checking the fuse box with a light tester. With the key on there is NO juice to the inst. panel, backup light, AC/heater, rear ac. I have juice to the Dome light, c/ltr, tail/stop lights. Moving to the eng. compartment, with the key still on I have NO juice to: coil, ballast resistor, alt reg IGN & FLD, starter relay-brown/yellow & yellow wires. There is juice to the wire on the starter relay that goes to the battery. There is also juice at the pos. cable on Alt.
Am I missing a ground somewhere? I DO NOT have the headlight harness hooked up yet. Would that cause it not to start? Is that harness part of the circuit loop? I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out!  :brickwall:  :pullinghair: Anyone have any ideas??

John_Kunkel

You need to crawl under the dash and check for power at the BAT terminal on the ignition switch. If there is power there, check for power at the IGN and ACC terminals when the switch is in the run position. If that's OK the problem is probably in the bulkhead connector.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 15, 2011, 05:31:28 PM

You need to crawl under the dash and check for power at the BAT terminal on the ignition switch. If there is power there, check for power at the IGN and ACC terminals when the switch is in the run position. If that's OK the problem is probably in the bulkhead connector.

Thank you for the replies, but I think John nailed it!  :2thumbs: Who would have thought a brand new ign switch & lock cylinder would be the culprit. That's where I'm at for now I'm sure there's more problems like the dash lights. But thats another day. Time for some football!

sixpack_sid

I forgot to mention that I saw on the top connection of the bulkhead connector the ABCD has no terminals in it. The other half of the connector, EFGH has terminals. The AB runs the AC (Which I do not have) the CD runs to the NSS Switch.