News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fourth generation muscle

Started by super77se, October 07, 2011, 04:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budnicks

Quote from: doctor4766 on October 08, 2011, 12:15:45 AM
Looks cool  :2thumbs: , but I'd dump the shit out of it. It looks a little high to me
I would tend to agree,  :shruggy: too high in the back,  :Twocents: but "to each there own" it's not my car...  It's a Mopar so it's good in my book...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

nvrbdn

its straight out of the 70's stance.old school all the way. i love it. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

miller

I love this car! Are you putting the front bumper on or going to leave it like that? The T/A hood is stellar. They only think I would change is the rear stripe, it looks a bit narrow, and that's only a vinyl, and if you like it great! :2thumbs:

But I think this shows every generation of charger can be made into something presentable, now lets see some 80s Chargers built up!  :icon_smile_big:

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

maxwellwedge

Quote from: super77se on October 07, 2011, 10:31:21 PM
the inner fender wells actually bolt in and yes i have 2 inch thickwall tubing that will bolt in from the upper firewall and bend down to the frame rails ,those inner fenderwells are just hideous and couldnt find in me to bolt them back in lol

OK - Cool. Didn't know they went to bolt on by then.

Stretch

I had a '79 300 with T-tops when I was in high school. I F-in loved that car!!!
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

HPP

Looks cool  :2thumbs: , but I'd dump the shit out of it. It looks a little high to me

Ditto. This body style doesn't lend itself well to the gasser look. Same the extended shackles. If your using this as a drag car, which is the impression I get from your set up, these are going to lead to some trouble down the road. You'll be effort ahead to just swap over to SS springs now and ditch the slapper bars as well.

Otherwise, it does look very nice.

super77se

heres one with the front bumper installed although i think it looks kind of tough without it -IMO

super77se

believe it or not, the only way i could get the leaf springs bolted back up was with those shackles due to the fact that the previous owner had had the springs re-arched and when i unbolted the shocks the body sprang up 1 1/2 inches !! scared the crap out of me lol.so after i re installed the rear axle and springs ,there was no way to use the stock shackles and i dont how they were able to mount the springs back on without 550 pounds of an ex wife sitting on the trunk !! i had to use a pair of rough country rear shocks off of my 6 inch lifted jeep cherokee just to get shocks on it and no those are not air shocks lol-- so i do have a pair of springs from a big block 73 charger but i have yet to measure them ... guess i should work on that...       

HPP

Quote from: super77se on October 08, 2011, 12:02:13 PM
believe it or not, the only way i could get the leaf springs bolted back up was with those shackles due to the fact that the previous owner had had the springs re-arched and when i unbolted the shocks the body sprang up 1 1/2 inches !! scared the crap out of me lol.so after i re installed the rear axle and springs ,there was no way to use the stock shackles and i dont how they were able to mount the springs back on without 550 pounds of an ex wife sitting on the trunk !! i had to use a pair of rough country rear shocks off of my 6 inch lifted jeep cherokee just to get shocks on it and no those are not air shocks lol-- so i do have a pair of springs from a big block 73 charger but i have yet to measure them ... guess i should work on that...      

You now have a geometery problem with those springs and while they will hold the car up, they will not work effectively at weight transfer. During cornering, they will "weight jack" the  car as they travel over center and lift the car instead of being pushed rearward. This will create unstable feelings on corner entry.  The shackles should be angled with the bottom eye being further rearward than the upper eye. There are several ways to fix this; move the shackle mount forward on the frame, move the front spring eye rearward ( a swap to SS front hange would do this, but may put the axle centerline out of whack with the wheel well) or get a new, longer main leaf. Of course with your tire width, there is only so low you can go before you have interference, so this will be a touchy area to address.

Obviously the radical increase in ride height contributes to the need for a longer shock.

You might also consider putting the front inner fenders back in place or installing some sort of diagonal bracing or a monte carlo style bar to brace the front end. The engine bay of classic mopars moves around all over the place in stock form and taking the inner fenders out has reduced some of the structural integrity of the nose. XV did some extensive studies on this to reinforce the claim.

I like the bumper install. Cleans up the look of it all.

RallyeMike

I love it  !

QuoteYou might also consider putting the front inner fenders back in place or installing some sort of diagonal bracing or a monte carlo style bar to brace the front end. The engine bay of classic mopars moves around all over the place in stock form and taking the inner fenders out has reduced some of the structural integrity of the nose.

I was going to say the same thing.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

super77se

yes im top posting  lol looking for comments questions and opinions .is any one out there even messing around with 4 th gen bbodies or am i all alone ?

super77se

its hella fun watching it all come together and alive no matter what your working on....

71bee

Quote from: super77se on October 07, 2011, 11:46:28 PM
thank you for the encouraging words...i dont get many as more often than not, people hate these cars even the purist mopar lovers. but i have owned nothing but mopars my whole life ,the list goes on and on including plenty of earlier chargers and they are getting so hard to find without a grip of cash . i ran across this one by chance and ive never attempted to put any money or time into any 75-77 BBody so it was time and well to be honest , i think it looks bad ass from the back with the centerlines and it still has that old school bbody feel.

Haters or not, you have something that virtually NOBODY else has. I personally LOVE it! it's wickedly different!!  :Twocents:

Paul G

I think it is very cool! I love the idea of doing up something we don't see every day. Actually, I have wanted one since the first time Ricardo Montalban started hawking the Cordoba's "Corinthian Leather" on TV. 4th Gen Chargers and Cordoba's are sweet cars. Now I really want one!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

67440chrg

I like it. I had a good friend in high school(about 1979) that had a magnum. Just make sure the suspension is safe and drive the heck out of it. I have a 67 with all the trim shaved off and a big a$$ hood scoop. So I hear all the purest comments as well but the way I see it is it ain't being crushed and I like it this way. If you lived in my area we could run to cruises and shows together. Have fun!

super77se

the way i see it , itll never bring the big bucks the early chargers do so hey why not just have fun with it ,after all im not hurting the value and as you mention , it hasnt met the crusher and who knows maybe it will inspire some of those out there who see the 75-77 chargers and cordobas as just a chrysler afterthought as maybe ... kinda cool afterall .....

Cooter

Personally, I'm just not a fan of hiked up rears, super wide tires poking out from rear quarters, Air Shocks, And the stance of a dog sniffing the road...However, if it turns your crank, let-er-rip..I do like the Magnum/Cordoba/Charger that year, I couldn't stand a 1969 Charger that was hiked up like that either.

You have done quite a fine job on the paint/suspension though. Very clean...Too bad they don't stay that way...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

super77se

normally im not either and 80% of the mopars ive had in the past ,i have never really attempted a " street machine" type of a build .they have always been a restification or a 1/4 mile race abused ride. i came to a crossroads of sorts with this one because it seems once youve seen one cordoba or charger of the 4th gen ,basically youve seen one youve seen them all ,so i had to get a little extreme with this one to get a reaction , and i will tell you ,when i have this thing cammin around co springs with those flo masters talkin ,it really gets attention and people find it hard to believe it is a charger because they are so use to seeing 2nd and 3rd gen chargers . but i have a 440 in the works and im working on a 4 speed set-up and who knows ..maybe a pair of tubs may find their way under there

Paul G

Tub it if you can. That would be awesome. Get the rear back down where it should be but keep the big meats. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

super77se

i can dream a little right?

aussiemuscle

i like it jacked up at the rear, very '70s' look. i think the front wheels are too skinny tho...

69bronzeT5

Never been a fan of those body styles of Charger/Cordoba/etc however I like yours......the rear is a little too high for me but otherwise I like it :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

nvrbdn

that was old school with the a$$ lifted up and pizza cutters on front. i know its not the look for everyone, but cruising in the early 70s, this is what was everywhere. yea,  and in a panic stop the rear would get a little squirrley.and the center of gravity was thrown forward, but those cars were cool.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

super77se

i was after that 70s hot rod look , i have a 2 15x10 and two 15x6 slots im having polished and im pretty sure those will look tough on this thing , will post pics later ,thank you for the compliments, i have a lot of time and energy in it and im pretty happy with it ....

Old Tired Rebel

Looks Great.. I am trying to think of a different way to do my 78 Doba. That will be another thread.