News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

backfire with truck... Im at a loss with the dealership!

Started by resq302, October 07, 2011, 08:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

What would you do? The dealership where I purchased my used 2007 F150 Lariat 4x4 Super Crew 5.4l V-8 cab from has now had my truck over 2 weeks and claim to have fixed it now three times since I brought it to them back in Sept. The truck has a bad misfire/backfire out the exhaust when you floor the truck and the engine is cold, not up to normal operating temp. After the truck warms up, the backfiring is not present. It only does it when cold. There are no codes and no check engine light on. Dealership replaced a cam sensor on the pass side and now replaced the mass air flow sensor since they said it was "bad". I took the mechanic for a drive with it yesterday and showed him that it was still doing it. His response was that "well, I did fix it. Before it was backfiring and falling flat on its face power wise. Now it has more power than it did before." My reply was...."Yes, but it is still backfiring! Plus there is still not the power there that it had prior to all this happening!"

This all started back on Sept. 12 when I dropped the truck off for the same symptom. The ended up replacing a coil pack after doing a compression power balance and also replace that one spark plug. I questioned why they did not replace all the spark plugs like you do when you do a tune up and they said that Ford would not cover that, they would only cover the plug that was bad. I thought this was a load of BS, but not knowing fact, I went along with it. After I had the truck for about 3 days, the engine started doing the same thing which is why it went back to them. The earliest they could get me in there was Monday, Sept. 26 because of my work schedule. They have had my truck since then. The only good thing is that I have had a courtesy car since then.

The truck has 49,000 miles on it and is still covered under the basic power train warranty (5 yrs, 60,000) plus I have an Extended Service Plan warranty that covers over 500 things. Now, they said that the cam sensor was covered under the power train warranty but the mass air flow sensor was not and that I had to pay the $100 deductible. To me, something that controls the air/fuel ratio should be part of the power train.

What would you do? Contact the Service Manager since I seem to be getting no where with the service advisor and mechanic? Go above their head and contact Ford directly and let them know the BS that they have been putting me through?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

I usually start with the regional mgr & work back down to dealer level obviously they do not have a clue what they are doing but then the real question why would you EVER buy a Furd in the first place ????

resq302

Neil, I thought we were through that.  ha ha  I went over to the dark side after I had all the issues with my 2005 Hemi Ram Quad Cab 1500 series.  Between the back up lights blowing fuses constantly for an unknown/unfound reason, blowing 4 power steering pumps, broken right front shock, broken seat spring in the pass side seat back, arcing spark plug wires, and a whole laundry list of other issues.  Not to mention the fact that I creased the fender when I leaned on it to wash the center part of my hood.  Little ol me, 180 lbs, creased the fender.  Towing was a whole nother issue.  If I hit a series of bumps, the truck was all over the road.  The F150 seems to be built a lot better and is a lot sturdier than what the Ram was in my opinion.  Now, maybe they came a long way in the 6 years since I had it but up till recently, the Ford has been good to me.  Now I think that whatever is wrong with my truck is something that the mechanic did.  It was fine prior to them installing the new lifters (well, except for the knocking noise it was making) but I would have thought that they knew what they were doing.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chryco Psycho

I have not had a Dodge 1/2 ton for decades now , but the 3/4 & 1 ton are tough trucks .
The parts related to the drivetrain should be covered as part of the drivetrain but as you know they will do anything not to pay to repair their junk ! Once you go above their heads it is usually a lot better , I have seen warranty cover stuff after the warranty has run out for example just on good will .

Cooter

One thing I will NEVER do is Send my steak back......

And this is why I will NOT buy a newer vehicle...Work on 'em long enough and you begin to realize that they are ALL big, Fat, Turds...
My 'ol '84 Subaru has over 500K on it and it backfires, rattles, knocks, ticks, squeeks, burns gas and oil, leaks everything including water when it rains, still gets over 35 MPG on the highway and cost me $400.00 7 years ago...

Good luck with the Ford..I guess now would be a good time to tell you bout The F-150 V8's and TWO PIECE spark plugs that cost usually around $500.00 to replace and dig out with special tool..Yeah, Ford musta rehired the offspring of the gent that designed the Edsel....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

Oh, Im well aware of the issues with the two piece spark plug.  they have since come out with a redesigned one piece but still a crappy set up in my opinion.  Not to mention the issues with the cam phasers going bad and destroying an engine.
Brian

Stretch

It sounds like they have the ignition system pretty well covered.

It sounds like a fuel pressure at WOT. Those trucks use a fuel system with no return line. The have a fuel pump control module on the drivers rear frame rail. The back of the module corroads away alwoing moisture in. The moisture shorts out the circuit board. As the truck/module warms up the moisture evaporates alowiing it to run "better". Eventualy it wont run at all.

If you remove the module from it's mounting brackit you will know right away if corrosion is the problem. There will be a ton of white powder between the module and the bracket and most likly a hole in the module. They most always smell like burnt electrical when bad too.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Jason
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

resq302

stretch,

What you are saying makes sense.  Funny thing is that these problems only developed AFTER they changed out the lifters.  Could it be coincidence?  Possibly.  However, when I changed my oil when I got the truck back from them after they did the lifter swap, I had a lot of metal flake in my oil.  I have never had that prior to them working on the motor.  I thought it might be just stuff wearing and breaking in but it still doesn't leave a good feeling in my gut.  Almost like they didn't put some assembly lube on it.

Either way I want it fixed as it still has the power train warranty (5 years / 60,000 miles) currently at 49,000 miles and I have the Extended Service Plan through Ford (their extended warranty) up to 75,000 miles that covers over 500 parts.
Brian

Stretch

Well that changes everything. I missed the part about the lifter change.

68neverlate

I'm no expert in this area, but it sure sounds to me like it's related to that lifter job... especially if you found shavings in the oil right after the work was done.  Something doesn't smell right there...   :fart2:

Stretch

Quote from: 68neverlate on October 07, 2011, 04:46:57 PM
it sure sounds to me like it's related to that lifter job... especially if you found shavings in the oil right after the work was done.  Something doesn't smell right there...   :fart2:

yep

stripedelete

The good thing is your at the selling dealer and t sounds like your wrap around agreement is covering the sensor, however, there is a deductable.

The first thing I would do is be persistent,  but give them more time.  Chances are this problem has just been given to the wrong tech.

At this point going to Ford won't help.  They will simply contact the Service Manager and ask for him to resolve it. 
So, just contact the service manager directly.

If no resolution call the Ford 800 #.  They will open a case, contact the service manager and require resolution.
Doesn't mean you'll get it - but an open case doesn't help CSI.

After more time,  try to find the direct number to the local zone rep.  It's not as easy as it used to be and the dealership will not give it out, but.......  Explain the situation and ask if there is a diagnostic-guru-tech in another dealership which the selling dealer can "sublet" this repair to.  The zone rep would have to arrange this.  It would be dealer to dealer - not just dropping you off at another dealership.   However, be prepared for the zone rep's first action to be sending you back to dealership's service manager.   

I am more than a few a years away from the back end of a dealership and I may be stating the obvious, but, that's what I'd do.  :Twocents:

mikepmcs

Quote from: 68neverlate on October 07, 2011, 04:46:57 PM
I'm no expert in this area, but it sure sounds to me like it's related to that lifter job... especially if you found shavings in the oil right after the work was done.  Something doesn't smell right there...   :fart2:

Last thing fixed, first thing broken. :Twocents:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

chgr500

From the decripition of your concern with your truck I believe you have the early symptons of a catalytic converter failure.  Lack of power and backfiring are common symptons when cold...This could be due to the possible ignition problem they were previously diagnosing...the unburned fuel can gather in the converter.  Once the converter lights up it burns some of the built up crud on the cataylist bed it starts to flow better.  You can't monitor this sympton on a scan tool as the truck needs to be at operating temperature before the values are available to look at.....and it won't trigger the check engine light.   Good luck with your 5.4 and do frequent oil changes with the recommended oil and OEM filter
:Twocents:

Ron...Canadian FORD tech...for too long lol

resq302

Well, I called the dealership yesterday to find out if they had a chance to work on my truck since "we won't get to it today" was the answer I received from the advisor when I was there taking the mechanic out for the drive.  Yesterday, the service advisor said the mechanic took it out for a ride with someone else who was looking at the computer and it miraculously did not backfire.  (Does anyone else smell the odor of crap brewing?)  I argued how could it when the thing did the exact same thing when the mechanic was out for a drive with me the day prior.  The service advisor said they were going to let it sit again overnight and that he personally was going to do a test drive in it this morning (Sat).  Well, I was at a local car show today and low and behold my cell phone rings....... its the service advisor.  Seems that when he took it out for a drive, it did the backfiring but "the more he drove it, the less it had the problem".  Amazing, that is what I have been telling them.  When the truck warms up, the problem goes away!!!!!!!   Obviously I am not making this crap up!  His response was that they don't know what is wrong but will start looking into the problem and to keep the loaner car for now and they will be in touch with me when they know something.

On a side note- CHGR500 - I use the 5w-20 which is the recommended oil and only use the Motorcraft oil filter.  Oil is changed religiously at 3000 miles.
Brian

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 07, 2011, 11:21:23 AM
I usually start with the regional mgr & work back down to dealer level obviously they do not have a clue what they are doing but then the real question why would you EVER buy a Furd in the first place ????

Chryco, Have you seen the threads that are full of complaints about Ram trucks. ?
Ps, why do you live in Panama ?

resq302

Acudanut-

I guess you missed it.  Neil pulled the trigger and got married and moved down to Panama.
Brian

Chryco Psycho

Why do I live in Panama ??
Well I can make more $$ here + less taxation , the winter is marginally shorter LOL
the quality of life is better ,the food is far better , 10 min walk to the pacific ocean !
Everything is better except  the car scene is less though !
The economy here is strong growing around 10% / year & , there is labor shortage , especially skilled labor .
I know all new trucks have problems , the ford I drove last winter for work was junk , in the first 18,000 miles all of which i put on the trans lost 3rd gear , the transfer case quit shifting into 4x4 , I almost got stuck in the bush miles from anywhere & could not get out of the valley I was in on either side ! The radio went intermittent shutting off for about 1 second every 10 seconds , Ford had never heard of the problem even though all 3 of the trucks we had did it .The Power steering failed completely which was not so bad but for a while it to was intermittent & put me in the ditch twice when it locked up unexpectedly , The defrost system was useless , even after running for an hour I was scraping frost of the inside so I could see to drive . The best part was the milage , it took 18 lt to drive 52 KM or 4 Can Gallons to go 30 miles & would optomistically sugget you could get 400 miles on a 120 lt tank , but if you drove 75 miles you lost 100 mile range . Thankfully I was not paying for the fuel !!

ACUDANUT

resq302:
Why are you " flooring the truck when the engine is cold " . ??

Chryco, what year of Ford was this, that you were talking about. ?
Can you go onto the US Army Base in Panama and buy stuff ?

resq302

Acudanut-

Well, I am not actually flooring it when cold.  Its not like I start up the engine then try and lay a patch with it.  This happens after I pull out of the dealership after driving around 3/4 of the building from where the service dept is and then try to get onto an extremely busy highway.  Cars are going about 65-70 mph and I don't feel like getting into an accident so I pull out after I have plenty of space and just try to get up to speed as quickly as I can to keep with the flow of traffic.  In reality, it is probably only floored through the first to second gear shift, probably not much more than that.
Brian

ACUDANUT

Chryco Psycho

THE Truck I was driving was a 2011 3/4 ton SD with a gas 6.3 L

FLG

Assuming its  not due to the lifter job....

Im going to say a cat issue or  combination  of an EGR/Cat issue  :shruggy:

Maybe intake manifold leak from the previous job?

Just a guess.

resq302

LATEST UPDATE FROM DEALERSHIP:

just talked to ford, supposedly, the backfiring was caused by a spark plug that had a "hairline crack" and that they replaced all 8 of the spark plugs yet they are not covered under any kind of warranty. However, when they replaced a coil pack about a month ago, they also replaced the spark plug which WAS covered under warranty...... im confused!  They are going to do a test drive after it sits all night to see if the backfiring is still there. 

To me, if it was a spark plug that had a hairline crack, it would do it warm and cold, but what do I know?  Im just the customer.  Gut feeling is that I am still not buying the fact that it was the problem and it is fixed.
Brian