News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 69 Charger summer build

Started by LI_DSM, June 18, 2011, 11:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LI_DSM

I decided to make a thread as I get my charger back to worthy driving condition this summer. I hate how it
s been neglected for so long and I don't want to go another summer without driving her.

Here is alittle background on the car:(for anyone who feels like reading)

If you're up for a read I 'll give you alittle background of what has been going on since owning my car.

I'll start by this. Growing up, my father was a mopar guy and pretty much got me hooked hard. When I was 15 he and I set out to find my "first" car. Originally I loved the look of e-bodies but something just kept pushing me towards a b-body, more specifically a 2nd gen Charger. I loved the lines and the idea of a big block at such a young age. We looked for a few months and came across an ad in the special interest: 1969 Charger, 318, good cond, etc. Car was located about 2 hours away in PA and had been sitting in storage for about 8 years due to the owned being deployed. I remember the next day getting a call in class asking me to come downstairs and my Dad was there to pull me out of school to go pick it up. Let me tell you at that very moment getting called down, I knew exactly what it was about and I could not wipe the smile off my face!

When we arrived to PA, The car was sitting in a storage facility with tags that expired in '95 on it. As soon as I sat in the driver seat I was in love. I didn't even ask to start it up or test drive it. I knew this was the one. I hadn't had this feeling from the various other cars we checked out. Just there was something about this particular one. 2 days late the car was in the driveway and we got to work on it.

The 318 was left in for a few months and it was a nice driver. Only taking it out a couple times because I was not of age to drive legally. I felt like I was king driving it. When I turned 16 and after sinking about all the money I had into it and constantly trying to make it better and better, I came across a 72 New Yorker with 60k miles and 440 motor. I knew I wanted to eventually put a 440 in it and I couldn't pass up the deal on the New Yorker. So that's when the motor swap began and what a learning experience that was.

When I was old enough to finally drive, I used this as my daily driver to school and work. It got alot of attention and thumbs up everywhere I went. However I constantly kept running into problems with the electrical aspect of things and I was became very paranoid leaving it in parking lots unattended. That's when I decided to buy something alittle more practical...an 84 Monte Carlo SS that I picked up for $800 with bad paint (nothing a quick shot of flat black couldn't fix). Then the charger was put into the garage and taken out rarely. However it still ran into charging problems so I stress "rarely."

Now fast forward to another year, I'm 18, and a few daily drivers later the car just pretty much sat and sat. My parents were separated and my mom was getting ready to move to FL (I live in NY). There goes the garage space :( not to mention my mother, sister,and brother. When they moved I decided to live with my aunt and finish up school here and moved the car over to there. Now I'm lacking in any interest to work on it due to time, money, space, etc. The car sat on the side of her house for another 2 years with a cover on it till I turned 20. That is when my other aunt told me I could have her garage as long as I cleaned it out for her. Jackpot. The car was now moved there and there it would sit. I will admit had a lack of interest in the old muscle car, as I became fond of DSM's and that's where all my time/money went to for a couple of years but that is another story.

All though I was asked countless times if I wanted to sell it, I knew I could never because one day I wanted to make into a mean machine once I had the stability to do so. I also forgot to mention my grandfather was the one who bought the car for me and he has since past away so it means alot to me. As I say to all the people who ask if I'll sell..."I will be buried in this thing."

Here are some pics I took today and I have my work cut out for me. I remember back when I was 15 becoming a member of this site...my first post was something to the tune of "How can I run 12's" "or 11's"? something along those lines. Haha. I have since matured and grew up alot. I understand the responsibilities, time, dedication and research needed to do something right. So I'm looking forward to making the charger into something I can be really proud of. And although I do not plan on turning this into a full resto RIGHT NOW, I plan on doing what I can to make it a nice driver...for now, and giving it her the attention she deserves.

Thanks for reading if you did.
John

(Power steering fluid everywhere...nice!)

(This car is NOT a real R/T)

(295/50/15 tires)

So now progress finally started on the car. It was time to pull the motor because it needs to be freshened up and the tranny needs to be rebuilt so I figured just to yank them out together.

and 3 hours later..

and about 2 hours after that the motor and trans were finally out

(no pics sorry)

Now the motor and tranny are sitting apart in the garage. I want to replace all the gaskets on the motor and clean it up. In the mean time I am debating whether or not to tackle rebuilding the tranny myself or send it to the shop. I already have a turbo action rebuild kit and new rear band along with the bushings, I should really just dive into the project because I need to learn sometime.

Here are a couple other shots of the car actually seeing the light of day for the first time in a long time lol

I still have alot left to do. But the past winter I have been gathering up alot of parts I needed to complete what my goals are for the summer.

Hope you guys enjoyed, and check back for updates.

six-tee-nine

Nice work going on there, stick to it and you shall taste victory....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great story and if you havent already....

www.1969chargerregistry.com  :wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

drifter69

Nice Bro...........Stay with it!!!!

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Nice lookin Charger, you are ahead of the game there.

tan top

Quote from: terrible one on June 18, 2011, 02:00:27 PM
Great thread and pictures! Look forward to seeing more  :2thumbs: :popcrn:

looks a good project going on   :2thumbs:   i spy  :scope: what looks to be orignal Y2 yellow paint  in the engine bay   :o :drool5:

what was the original color combo ??  interior , paint , top ?? :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

LI_DSM

Summer is done and falls here. I got some work done to the car but definitely not as much as I would have liked.

Now almost back together

back in the car

Then today almost all back together

I just need to adjust the shifting linkage and add fluids as of right now. Hopefully I'll fire her up sometime tomorrow.
:2thumbs:

projectanimal

Great story John and nice to see the progress from the summer!   :cheers: 
Our project car has begun as well, and it definitely has the same feel as it "belongs" in our garage and a 2nd life!   we're hoping to turn ours into an R/T clone, so we have very similar rides.  :icon_smile_big: 
good luck this winter.   how's the interior? 

Cheers from CT

northwest CT