News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lost intrest in my resto need help

Started by bricklayer, October 02, 2011, 05:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

restoring 69 charger and lost intrest what can i do to get back at it so i can start driving my car!!!! i'm at a loss with completeing my project can anyone help thanks  tom

Tilar

Go watch this.

http://youtu.be/s6IKwVcQBbs

We'll wait, go ahead!

SERIOUSLY, Go watch the video.

Now, Get your butt out there and twist those wrenches!
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

projectanimal

Or you could get a few of the Bullrun girls to help you, but they may stretch out the build even longer!!!   :rofl: :nana: :D
northwest CT

Cooter

Keep your eye on the prize..These cars are NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART to restore. Lose interest too soon and all you'll be doing is asking how come you can't get the bucks out of it as you'll be trying to sell it.

I full and well know it is most times at least 4 years before I get to drive any of my "Creations"...Wonder why the average guy doesn't look at it this way?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

nvrbdn

post some pic's show where you are. lots of encouragement here plus if you have any guys close, mabey some will come by on a saturday to pitch in. :2thumbs: or atleast yell at you till you get something done :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

My convertible Challenger was in the garage in pieces for over 10 years.  I started going to local car shows and hated being the guy who had a cool car in the garage ::)  I seemed to never have an entire day or string of days to devote to the project.  I set a side 1 hour a day that I had to do something on the car.  Many days I would only spend an hour but after I got going it became easier to find time to devote to her.  I am sure you are busy but it all comes down to motivation.  It is also very helpfull to have a buddy or even a nieghbor kid to help.  Sometimes an outsider can provide that spark.  Cuda Ken was a big influance on me getting the Challenger on the road.  Good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

68X426

It is OK to just pause and relax. Sometimes we all put to much pressure on ourselves to get "it" finished and forget to enjoy the process getting there. Pause and relax. The project will wait for you. Can you wait for it and then enjoy the process again?

Hope you find the spark again.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bricklayer

yes all answers are encouraging, that would be really great if some one is the area of lititz pa to come over and get me going in the right direction again the body is mostly done i have the vinyl top head liner and the interior and all the glass, cluster and other miss. parts and pieces i just don't know where to start. again if someone is close enough again to put me in the right direction because i don't have all the answers thank you very much  tom

elanmars

sell it to me for a good price, i'll get it going fast.

and you can use the cash from the sale to get something already running...

win win haha.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

bull

Sometimes you just have to putter through it like it's any other type of obligation. Every day you have to make food, brush your teeth, get dressed, clean something up, take the garbage out, etc. There are times when a restoration is no different. Like a roller coaster or climbing a mountain, there is methodical work involved when going up but once you top out and get over the hump you can see the progress moving faster you get excited. And once that passes it's time to climb the next hill...

Tilar

Put the vinyl top on first. Your Charger emblems that go on the sail panels have nuts that you have to tighten up before you put your headliner on.

That's a start.
Dave  

ChgrSteve67

Everyone has their own triggers to be self motivating.

You don't get this without that.
Guilt works well with most people.
Shame
Reminders of inadequacy
Sell it to your wife and then have her harp on your butt. When is my car going to be done.

personally for myself I scheduled time each week to work on the car and thats what I did come hell or high water.
many times I just wanted to quit but the closer I got to finishing the car the more eager I was to get it finished.

If there is one peticular part that you just hate to do or are stuck then pay someone to help you do it and get past it.

-Steve

stripedelete

If you're overwhelmed post some pics.  I'm sure someone can advise on a starting point.  Even if it is just working on a component.  A couple small victories may just "prime the pump".  Or do like 68x426 said, just walk away from it for a while.   Come back in a few months with fresh eyes and a fresh head.

If you're burned out the phone-a-friend tactic is sage advice.  I've found myself burned out on a couple big house re-habs.  Just having someone show up ready to work got me moving again.

Good luck!   

madmike

bricklayer dude, I'm there!  I have been piecing a '68 Charger back together for the past year.  I bought the car as a roller, some parts were included, some didn't even go with the car, and many parts are missing.  Since I didn't dismantle the car, I don't have any idea how to put it back together.  So, I spend lots of time with the FSM, this site, and photos.  Still, progress is imperceptibly slow...plus, I work 6 or 7 days a week (but at least I am working!).

I don't think I have a love/hate relationship with the car...I believe it's mostly hate right now!!  I've never met a car that was more resistant to being back on the road than this one!!

But, I have taken it from a rolling body shell to actually driving it around the block last weekend.  Although it's not technically road worthy yet, it is getting there.

All I can say is, keep pluggin away at it...one brick at a time!

UH60L

Funny, I haven't lost interest, I've just lost funding, or rather I should say, I can't afford to buy anything else that I need to continue, and thanks to the payment on our new car, I won't able to afford anything for quite a while.

If anyone out there has a few thousand laying around that you need to excerise, I'd be more than happy to put it to a good use for ya.   ;D

Next time the lottery gets big, I may just buy a ticket.....

Tilar

Quote from: UH60L on October 04, 2011, 01:35:56 AM

Next time the lottery gets big, I may just buy a ticket.....

$58,000,000 isn't enough to at least get caught up on the bills?  :smilielol: 
Dave  

bricklayer

well i could put the vinyl top on  but i would have to hire a shop to install top, if i go that way how much would it cost me for them to install and what other parts need to be installed {clips,trim,weatherstrip,Etc} Also if i let a shop do the vinyl top should i also let them install head liner or could i tackle that myself depending on cost thanks tom

LeesRT

My inspiration came from riding in Mike's Biohazard Charger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkrFTxFfYc4

Mine's been sitting for 21 years in my garage and shop.  I've been waiting a long time to drive mine again.  It used to be my daily driver from 1983-1990 before I parked it.

41husk

Quote from: bricklayer on October 04, 2011, 08:26:23 AM
well i could put the vinyl top on  but i would have to hire a shop to install top, if i go that way how much would it cost me for them to install and what other parts need to be installed {clips,trim,weatherstrip,Etc} Also if i let a shop do the vinyl top should i also let them install head liner or could i tackle that myself depending on cost thanks tom
I had the top already and a local shop charged me $200 to install.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Marck

I know all about loosing motivation, and just wanting to cut the loss and move on..
But within the last week I've been out in it 4 times, and had a blast driving it.. When I realised I didn't have the funds to complete the restauration all at once, I focused on getting it roadworthy so I could enjoy it.. It still needs bodywork and paint, but it passed inspection and is safe to enjoy..

My advise is to turn your attention to the things that will get you on the road..

dodgedarren

Took me 4 years and more $$$$ than I like to admit. Seemed like everything I did turned into a roadblock
but with the help from many of the users on this site I was able to get around them and make it to the finish line. First time I drove it I got so many thumbs up and nice car comments it was almost embarrassing. After allot of research and some youtube videos I even put my headliner in myself!!! Just have to do something everyday.
Dont give up on you Charger. She would never give up on you.

This is a video of my Charger just about complete:
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

Restoration in progress video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZ5ZPsL2Fk

dodgedarren

Quote from: bricklayer on October 03, 2011, 12:15:13 PM
yes all answers are encouraging, that would be really great if some one is the area of lititz pa to come over and get me going in the right direction again the body is mostly done i have the vinyl top head liner and the interior and all the glass, cluster and other miss. parts and pieces i just don't know where to start. again if someone is close enough again to put me in the right direction because i don't have all the answers thank you very much  tom

Tom, I would start by painting it.
then put the front end and drive train in
and get back to us. :0

dodgedarren

Quote from: madmike on October 03, 2011, 04:29:30 PM
bricklayer dude, I'm there!  I have been piecing a '68 Charger back together for the past year.  I bought the car as a roller, some parts were included, some didn't even go with the car, and many parts are missing.  Since I didn't dismantle the car, I don't have any idea how to put it back together.  So, I spend lots of time with the FSM, this site, and photos.  Still, progress is imperceptibly slow...plus, I work 6 or 7 days a week (but at least I am working!).

I don't think I have a love/hate relationship with the car...I believe it's mostly hate right now!!  I've never met a car that was more resistant to being back on the road than this one!!

But, I have taken it from a rolling body shell to actually driving it around the block last weekend.  Although it's not technically road worthy yet, it is getting there.

All I can say is, keep pluggin away at it...one brick at a time!

Dont forget to paint the lower portion of your radiator support black or the white will show through the grill.

Cooter

Don't be afraid, or of the opinion that the "Little things" aren't top priority. All those little things can add up and before you know it, you've got a restored dash, interior, front sus., etc.

If you do just one thing per day (Listen to me telling you how to get back in "the Groove" and I've been out for almost three months!?), pretty soon all those obstacles are out of the way...The "One thing" you got done is "One thing" that wasn't done before. Sometimes, I have to force myself to work on the car, then before I know it, I'm back in the groove again. Oh, ride the groove as long as you can...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JPL

Dry your tears, put on your big boy pants, and get to work!  :pity:

:lol:

We've all been there, the ups and down, keep your eye on the prize and think what it will be like when it's done, good luck!
:cheers:

383hp

I'd go to car shows or look up chargers on the net, then think about how yours will turn out when completed I agree with getting it on the road first, then fixing the little things later.
Also, write down a list of things to do and check them off as they get done.

RallyeMike

QuoteSell it to your wife and then have her harp on your butt. When is my car going to be done.

:lol:

Barter your bricklaying skills with a gear head to lend you a hand ? Who here is near PA and needs a new patio?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

speedfreak68

I was having the same problem, then what got me thinking about it again was when I was talking to my fiance's dad. He started telling me about the corvette that he had, and how much fun he had with it.  The next day we went to a gun auction in his 65 ford with the 390. Just riding in something old pretty much sealed the deal... Maybe if you have a friend with something old, no matter the brand, see if they will take you for a spin. It helps!!

nvrbdn

Quote from: speedfreak68 on October 04, 2011, 10:19:46 PM
I was having the same problem, then what got me thinking about it again was when I was talking to my fiance's dad. He started telling me about the corvette that he had, and how much fun he had with it.  The next day we went to a gun auction in his 65 ford with the 390. Just riding in something old pretty much sealed the deal... Maybe if you have a friend with something old, no matter the brand, see if they will take you for a spin. It helps!!

how true, mine has been forever ( 11 years) but my buddy just got a 67 mustang and cruising in that ferd got me motivated to finish the interior, get the little things finished, and now that the new cam is in and the gas tank changed and put back in tonight, i will cruise this weekend. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Quote from: bricklayer on October 02, 2011, 05:54:41 PM
restoring 69 charger and lost intrest what can i do to get back at it so i can start driving my car!!!! i'm at a loss with completeing my project can anyone help thanks  tom

aww man !! lots interest !! thats a bummer  ,  easy to get over welmed , if you not used to doing this kind of stuff !! (( & even if you are , its still easy to get in that mind set  of  oh no not again  :icon_smile_blackeye: :brickwall: & oh no here goes 3 years of my time/life   working every on it almost every night after work & weekends   :icon_smile_blackeye:  especially if your day job is the same sort of stuff  :icon_smile_blackeye: :pullinghair:  )) , especialy if its a complete resto  or lots of differet things need doing !!
got any pictures !!  what stage are you at ?  try to complete sections ! & try not to look at the whole job !
:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

74Rallye

I did the same thing when I got to the body work on my Charger. I got the drive train and brakes working and put tags on it. That was a great motivator. You can still drive it in primer and fill the car up with tire smoke! It was at least 4 years from getting it out of the junk yard to getting it painted.
It's all in your head, you can do it!

bricklayer

Not a bad idea does anyone need any brick work done?  anybody know of  A good shop to install a top on my charger around my area thanks i will try to get pics up thanks again  tom

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

HANDM

In every aspect of restoring my wifes charger, I thought at the time, "there is now way I can do that"......once I started in on whatever portion, seats, dash, gauges, headliner carpet, soundproofing, metalwork, paint, assembly, blah, blah, blah.... that I was focusing on, I was amazed by how easily I could do it and with, to say the least, an excellent driver appearance as the finished result.   The vinyl top, on the other hand, lets just say, I wish I would have subbed that out........lol