News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are there any "good" car covers for outdoor storage in SoCal?

Started by d72hemi, October 02, 2011, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d72hemi

Background: My 72 Charger has been forced into long term outdoor storage at my father-in-law's SoCal farm. I only care about rust prevention, since the "paint job" was thinned Rustoleum applied with a roller. This is due to it was in 10+ year old primer that was starting to get a couple of light surface spots where the primer was wearing through. After year in one of his sheds, he needs the room for his expanding business, good for him, bad for my first car. I have know It will be 1-10 years before I get back to the states to put it in a proper garage (military), so what are my best options? I have searched the forum, and know that non permeable things like tarps just trap water leading to rust, and many covers act like sponges and once again trap water against the car, leading to rust. Is there any cover out there that would so well in inland SoCal, or is it best to let that relatively dry environment (Hemet, CA) "preserve" the best it can?

Ian 

twodko

I prolly sound like a broken record buuuut California Car Covers makes some uber protective covers. Have you checked them out? Worth a look IMO.  :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Rolling_Thunder

Hemet is dry as shit...             i think the only worry from rust you'll have is...    well...      if water gets IN the car.  other than that you should be good...        plus the rustoleum paint you used to cover it is tough as nails...        The sun will bake the interior - but rust shouldnt be a huge deal out there... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

d72hemi

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 02, 2011, 10:18:36 PM
Hemet is dry as shit...             i think the only worry from rust you'll have is...    well...      if water gets IN the car.  other than that you should be good...        plus the rustoleum paint you used to cover it is tough as nails...        The sun will bake the interior - but rust shouldnt be a huge deal out there... 

LOL. When I was growing up in Hemet, I could dive 30 minutes out of town, and no one there would know where Hemet was. Now I constantly run into people in all corners of the world who know where Hemet is. The interior needs to be replaced anyway, it lived in Hemet for all but 6 years I had it in Roy, UT. Also, I know the car is water tight (as for rain, and snow), so I do not plan on that being an issue either. Since the car needs a complete restoration (resto-mod), the fact that Hemet is dry, and CA car covers want as much for a cover as I paid for the car back in high school, it looks like it will enjoy the SoCal sun.

Thanks to all of you!

Ian

Dans 68

I would still get a car cover for it. Just don't get the most expensive one if money is an issue..  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Rolling_Thunder

but then the car cover just traps water against the body...       

My uncle lives in Hemet - I live down in the more civilized areas (towards the beach)    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dans 68

Get a breathable, water-proof cover. SOP.  It will allow any moisture to evaporate from the car. A lot better than just letting Mom Nature have her way.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

d72hemi

I ended up ordering the California Car Cover in their "Noah" material. I splurged by getting the lock and cable kit ($10), and the tie down clamped cords ($12.99), so for a total of $333.83, I have a outdoor car cover with a 4 year warranty. Ca Car Cover also recommended their cover in the "Superweave" material for an extra $120. The "Superweave" has better UV protection, but the "Noah" has slightly better breathability. Since my 72 needs paint and interior anyway, water is a much bigger concern for me than UV radiation. My father-in-law should have it by Friday, so I should be able to tell you all how well it fit sometime this weekend.

Ian

jaak

I've said this before and I'll say it again (from experience)....  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVENEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,R, NEVER,  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, Put a car cover on a car sitting outside, your better off leaving it uncovered....it is a rust accelerator, I don't care if they say 'breathable' or not, the WILL trap moisture.

Jason

Dans 68

Quote from: jaak on October 04, 2011, 08:44:58 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again (from experience)....  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVENEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,R, NEVER,  NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, Put a car cover on a car sitting outside, your better off leaving it uncovered....it is a rust accelerator, I don't care if they say 'breathable' or not, the WILL trap moisture.

Jason

Are you sure?  :scratchchin:   :smilielol:   I've been doing it for years, and I've not had one problem with accelerating rust. I think the breathable covers work fine.

Dan