News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Barrett-Jackson auction starts today...

Started by marangen, January 17, 2006, 05:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

Quote from: triple_green on January 18, 2006, 02:21:09 PM
Hi Mike,

It would be fun to have Tom about his experience selling at B-J sometime. I would be interested in the the ins and out and realities of how it goes for him.

Is he a member of this board?

3X

He doesn't go down there.  A guy by the name of Larry M. goes down there every year.  Last year he left there with a cool half million in 3 sold cars.  He was the one with the red pilot Hemi Cuda.

Tom was gonna take AllBlue and it would have been his first experience there.  He chickened out, although he said Blue's for sale now.  I can't believe he's kept it this long.  I told him I'd trade him straight up for my Chally. ;D

BigBlockSam

i like to watch the purdy cars but some of the rich bastards suck. i was watching last year, this guy got into a bidding war over a car. i forget what car but it went for about $100000. the guy wins the car. they go over to him so he signs the papers. the mug this guy had on his face was like his dog died. he didn't give a shit about the car. it was all business. i felt like reaching into the tv and smacking this guy. i would be screaming and jumping in the air with joy.  Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemihead

I consider a rebody the same as switching numbers.Isn't it the same thing?Oh, which is illegal in all states I believe.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

ramit

Dang you are fast!  I was going to post the price for that 71 R/T but you beat me to it.

TruckDriver

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

I'm bettin' the Hemi Cuda vert goes for around 3 mil. ;D

Charger Aficionado

Dude... they said a Sublime '70 Charger was in top 5...  What did it go for???

Big Lebowski

Ya, they have 2 '70 Chargers, One is a real V code Six-pack, the other is a purple Charger with a non original look.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

TruckDriver

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 18, 2006, 10:10:32 PM
  Dude... they said a Sublime '70 Charger was in top 5...  What did it go for???

$64,000!!! Not even a correct resto. Was posted a few posts back, it was a '71 R/T in Sublime.
PETE

dkn1997

nothing like watching a bunch of douchebags in penny loafers ruin a nice hobby for the rest of us.....thanks, now i can get back to trying to find a decent project car for under 15k.....

and yes, I am jealous of these guys because they can spend this kind of money on cars and drive the prices up for the rest of us. 

RECHRGED

TruckDriver

I agree with you. I always wanted a '71-'72 Roadrunner, Challenger or Cuda. Most likely will never happen now.  :'( :rotz: And even if I find one, I don't think I could afford to restore it unless it is in about the same shape my Charger is. The high prices are the reason I sold my '69 Charger. It needed more then I could afford to do to it.
PETE

Hemidoug

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on January 18, 2006, 08:10:12 PM
$64,000!!! WOW! and it wasn't totally correct either!

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=183169

What was not correct about this resto? Had matching numbers motor, nothing looked out of place.....I didn't see the fender tag or build sheet...Looked fine to me, the only thing I saw was the electronic ignition update and no blackout on the rad support. It may not have been a paint dab, date coded resto, but it looked like a quality job to me...
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

69_500

Looked like a good restoration to me too. Then again camera's have a funny way of making some cars look better than they are too. I did see some cracks in the decal on the hood however. Other than that it was a stunning car.

Heck how did an amphibious car go for over $100K?

TruckDriver

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 19, 2006, 08:35:06 AM

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=183169

What was not correct about this resto? Had matching numbers motor, nothing looked out of place.....I didn't see the fender tag or build sheet...Looked fine to me, the only thing I saw was the electronic ignition update and no blackout on the rad support. It may not have been a paint dab, date coded resto, but it looked like a quality job to me...

The grilles were '72 style, the rear wing should of been a Gull Wing ('71 style), and the rear tail light bezels were painted all black as they did in '72, not argent silver with the black trim like the correct R/T ones were. I know that is all minor stuff. BUT not if I am paying $64,000 for it.
PETE

Hemidoug

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on January 19, 2006, 09:48:47 AM
Quote from: Hemidoug on January 19, 2006, 08:35:06 AM

The grilles were '72 style, the rear wing should of been a Gull Wing ('71 style), and the rear tail light bezels were painted all black as they did in '72, not argent silver with the black trim like the correct R/T ones were. I know that is all minor stuff. BUT not if I am paying $64,000 for it.

I didn't notice the grills, if they are 72 style that would be a big no no. Don't blanket statement the 70 style wing. Early production 71's had the 70 wing. My 71, produced in Sep 70, came with a 70 wing. Same with the T-light bezels, it is technically correct with one or the other.

TruckDriver

Oh, ok, I just learned something new again. But look at this picture, you easily can see the grille is wrong :yesnod:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/images/carjpg/2006bjcca/2/414_1/2006BJCCA2_414_1_34.jpg
PETE

Hemidoug

I just took a close look at the grill. It is the correct one, it just looks like a 72 piece by the way the light is hitting it. It does not have the waffle type chrome work that the 72 has, it is just the camera angle.

It is fascinating that the Mopars seem to be bringing top dollar as compared to the rest of the crowd. Take this 71 R/T, selling for 63K as compared to a 68 or 69 396 camaro ss selling for 52K, or the 69 Camaro Indy Pace Car convertible selling for 64K. It looks to me like the pendulum has swung in the direction of Mopars and away from the Brand X cars. It might indicate some good buys on brand X stuff.........

Ghoste

I've been getting a lot of the brand X guys coming up to me work and they're just stunned.  I keep telling them I'm not proud of it, I liked it better when we were a cool little secret club.

Shakey

I love all the whiners here, cryin' about the rich people.  Go get a job!

If you already have a job, it obviously isn't paying you enough because you are still jealous of the wealthy guys buying the cars.  Quit your job and go back to school get an education and get a better job.

Hell, I look at those at guys on stage and hope one day to go up there and out bid all of them.  I wouldn't do it in a pompus way, just quietly sneak up there when the auctioneer yells "$74K going twice" and then boom - Shakey's bid of $100K blows them away.

Instead of hating these guys, use them as inspiration.  They are not going to go away so you might as well try and beat them at their own game.

Ghoste

Thanks, but I have a job.  Actually I have a couple and I use both of them to pay for my mortagage and feed and clothe my kids.  I'm also trying to put as much as I can away for their education too. 
This used to be a fun and affordable hobby.  Now after being called a lowlife greaseball for the last 25 years, the rich people have changed the rules and I guess I have to move along or get a job or rob a bank or something?

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on January 19, 2006, 07:30:34 PM
Thanks, but I have a job.  Actually I have a couple and I use both of them to pay for my mortagage and feed and clothe my kids.  I'm also trying to put as much as I can away for their education too. 
This used to be a fun and affordable hobby.  Now after being called a lowlife greaseball for the last 25 years, the rich people have changed the rules and I guess I have to move along or get a job or rob a bank or something?

Who called you a low life greaseball?

Ghoste

I don't mean you.  I meant that out of all the years I have been in the hobby, MOST of the people with clean fingernails had nothing but bad things to say about car freaks.  I have been called that and more than once I assure you.  I would bet that a few others here have heard the name calling too.
That's why I took exception to your post.  I understand completely that the world has changed but these things began as fun cars for the everyman and they stayed that way for many years and now a fat wallet and a fatter ego are stealing it from the guys who preserved and loved them all these years.  And yes, I understand many of those guys overpaying at B-J have been long time car fans too but many more of them are just showing off.  It's garage art.
I wish they would stick to Corvettes and Ferarri's and leave the musclecars be.

dkn1997

Quote from: Shakey on January 19, 2006, 07:19:56 PM
I love all the whiners here, cryin' about the rich people.  Go get a job!

If you already have a job, it obviously isn't paying you enough because you are still jealous of the wealthy guys buying the cars.  Quit your job and go back to school get an education and get a better job.

Hell, I look at those at guys on stage and hope one day to go up there and out bid all of them.  I wouldn't do it in a pompus way, just quietly sneak up there when the auctioneer yells "$74K going twice" and then boom - Shakey's bid of $100K blows them away.

Instead of hating these guys, use them as inspiration.  They are not going to go away so you might as well try and beat them at their own game.

I admitted I am jealous.  What I left out is that I have a college degree and a good job.  I could spend 100k on a car, but would never in a million years.  It's not as simple as being able to get the money to do it.  It's just ludicrous to do so on a cloned car or a car that's one of 1000, ie: not that rare.   The big time hemi/winged cars don't really get to me because I had limited interest in them when they were 30-40k.  it's just that these b/j and ebay auctions have taken run of the mill cars off the table for a lot of people who truly love them. 

And the reason I "hate" some of them is that they are buying them because it's trendy to do so right now.  I have no respect for the guy who buys a 6 figure car because it's the latest and greatest thing and probably tells his friends it's got a 6pak hemi in it....I don't like guys in the hobby who don't have the "love"  Not saying all of these wealthy people don't have it, but they can't all be true enthusiasts.  not talking solely about knowledge here, but love for the cars too.  plenty of us who cannot spout off production numbers, but still love the cars.

By the way, I do have a pretty decent charger already, lucky enough to have bought it years ago, so I am not really sad for myself (unless I plan on buying one for my son someday)  I do get depressed for younger people who get pushed out of the hobby before they even get a foot in the door by these prices.  or even worse, the prices driving people to take gambles with "too good to be true" hlpag type cars....
RECHRGED