News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What rear disk brake kit to use with original 14" rims

Started by 70 Charger RT, September 30, 2011, 08:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 Charger RT

After I've spent all this money buying new 14" rims and BFG redlines for the Charger, I find that many disk brake conversion kits only work with the 15" and larger wheels.  I've been told by the Jegs tech guy that the SSBC A155 rear disk brake conversion kit has 10.5" rotors and will work with the 14" rim.  Any of you have experience with this?  If you do have 14", what conversion kit did you use?  I want to stick to the original 14" rims.

Thanks in advance
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

70 Charger RT

I went and bought the SSBC kit from the distributor today.  Will see if it works on the weekend.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Rolling_Thunder

I have the SSBC rear discs however I am running 15" wheels - seems to have plenty of clearance though...     The kit wasnt that difficult to install either...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HPP

Well, you'll never find a 14" street tire with enough grip to necessitate the use of rear disc kit. Unless your hauling down from 100 repeatedly within minutes, the drum brakes will be more than adequate for anything you throw at them.

471_Magnum

14" Rallyes suck when it comes to brake clearance.

I'm pretty much in agreement with HPP. Rear discs have questionable value on a muscle car to begin with. Couple them with stock size 14" tires and you're pretty much just wasting your money.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

bill440rt

An SSBC rear kit??? RRRRRUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!  :scared: :scared:

Just a couple pointers:
Do NOT use their wheel studs. They are junk & the knurls flatten out when you install them. Hence, they don't "seat" in the axle. Dangerous! Research the length you need & buy a quality set such as Dorman's.
The mounting brackets are something out of an erector set, and have enough flex that the caliper can move or wobble.
Instructions are vague, lots of "experimenting" moving calipers from side to side. ("Experimenting" was a word their tech department used, during one of many phone calls to them.) 
Be prepared to order custom parking brake cables, despite SSBC's claim that stock ones "will work". They don't, they end up being a few inches short.

Happy braking!  :sarcasmalert:

BTW, I ended up switching from SSBC's to Wilwood's. Couldn't be happier.  :Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

70 Charger RT

Well I've already bit the bullit guys.  I installed it yesterday and found it easy to install.. The studs were easy to replace and the new studs really gripped the axle face.  The caliper brackets did look a little flimsey so we'll see how they hold up.  I used new brake cable I got from Rock auto and they fit the disk brake brackets and calipers nicely.  I never had any issues installing them.    It will be some time yet before I get the car on the road so I hope it works out.  The reason I went with disk is because it wasn't that much more expensive for the kit than it would be to buy shoes, drums, etc.. (at least here in Canada).  I had issues also with the drum backing plate as I was basically starting from scratch because of the condition of the rear diff when I got it.  I ahve some pictures at home I'll post later.  Thanks for the advice.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

flyinlow

Quote from: HPP on October 02, 2011, 09:44:21 AM
Well, you'll never find a 14" street tire with enough grip to necessitate the use of rear disc kit. Unless your hauling down from 100 repeatedly within minutes, the drum brakes will be more than adequate for anything you throw at them.

I would agree. I put 11 in disks on the back with 275/60-15's and you still have to valve the rear brakes down a little to balance the lock up point F/R with stock front disks.

The drilled disk looks great thru the Craggers. I like not having to deal with drum hardware and adjustments. I do miss the drum brake emergency brake performance. My disk parking brake will hold the car on a grade , but I cannot stop the car with just the parking brake by its self any where near as well as the stock drum set up did. If I could do it again I would put the money in better front brakes/tires.   :Twocents:

Good luck with your kit. Let us know how the SSBC kit went in.